I'm done.

Every time I fire them up though, I get this feeling :bowdown:.
Haha, that's what it's all about to partially quote the Infintiy catchphrase.
Wish I can ever hear them here in Holland.

I've had a Audio Research SP8 MkII (Revision 5) that was really great and beyond my expectations.
I possessed a brand new SP-9 in the nineties and did not like that pre-amp at all.
The SP-8 or a Conrad Johnson PV-9A are great pre-amps IMO.
Fit and finish of the SP8 tube amp is also great.

It’s funny you mention the SP-9 as I was considering one, there’s been quite a few for sale lately then you start reading about the different versions and change this and that to get this. That whole idea turns me off. I’d much rather have something come out of the box and sound good.

As said the SP-9 was a disappointment for me. Working at a audio-store at that time selling Burmester, McIntosh and Threshold I had an opportunity to listen to the then brand new Conrad Johnson PV-9 which I found a real musical revelation especially compared with the SP-9. Now I'm operating a CJ Evolution 20se pre-amp and I was due to my experience with the SP-9 waery abiut the SP-8. But boy I found this SP-8 so good it could hold its stint against my Evolution 20se. The SP-10 is from that same era and seems to be great also but has a load of tubes and is probably the most wanted Audio Research pre-amp so not cheap. I've had the CJ Premier Three also which I found very romantic sounding but also much better then the SP-9.
I could live happily with a CJ Premier Three/Four pre/power combination with a solid SS amp on the Watkins. America made the best amps in that era and probably still do. The combination of the music and entertainment industry combined with the military industrial complex are a solid base for the crafting of so much high-end audio products I think. In Europe we had Quad, Rogers, Philips, Braun and the DIN norm (Deutsche Industry Norm) that said that 6 Watts was Hifi. American products were exotics expensive and very rare. In the PA they knew about Amcron (Crown as you know it) and that was about it.

I had to update today. You guys that said bi-amping is the only way to go with the 4.5’s weren’t kidding. I pulled everything into our spare room, I moved the Yamaha DSP A1 into the living room to use with the 2.5’s. My Symphonies tube preamp has two preouts for running two amplifiers.

I used the Crown 2502 on the woofers and the 1502 on the top side. Flipped the passive crossovers to bi-amp mode and.........

WOW........:thumbsup:

Huge difference, the top end really comes to life. Not only that but a lot of the harshness is gone. Super clean and detailed. I’ve tried this on other speakers and didn’t really hear any difference. NOT the case here !

Man, the big Infinities do so much right. Most folks could really stop with a pair of RS or IRS speakers. Honorable mention to the Rens and Kappas and the venerable QLS. Hard to go wrong with any of them.

Had an interruption there. Agreed Sound Dragon. I can’t believe what a difference bi-amping has made here, almost a completely different Speakers now.

The clarity is mind blowing. I’m really interested in what new caps and all plus some nicer equipment might be achievable now.

I had to update today. You guys that said bi-amping is the only way to go with the 4.5’s weren’t kidding. I pulled everything into our spare room, I moved the Yamaha DSP A1 into the living room to use with the 2.5’s. My Symphonies tube preamp has two preouts for running two amplifiers.

I used the Crown 2502 on the woofers and the 1502 on the top side. Flipped the passive crossovers to bi-amp mode and.........

WOW........:thumbsup:

Huge difference, the top end really comes to life. Not only that but a lot of the harshness is gone. Super clean and detailed. I’ve tried this on other speakers and didn’t really hear any difference. NOT the case here !

Hey 7.62 I know you sold your 8.1s but I have those in bi amp mode as well as the 9s and they are totally different animals with 2 amps. Mid range and highs seem to be pushed effortlessly and more dynamic.

Last edited:
Here’s a shot, I know it looks like hell. Sure sounds good though.
811C2C92-A5CD-41FF-BC64-1248587350F1.jpeg
That’s a great choice of words Bahamayellow :thumbsup:.

If I remember right in the past I’ve bi-amped my Kappa 8’s (original version) CS 3006, 3009’s, REN 80’s and another pair or two and never really noticed any difference. The amps were Adcom 555-ll’s and Carver something 500’s. Kinda made me think people doing it are out of their minds.

I’ve been reading as much of the old threads as I can find here on the 4.5. I’ve always liked the B&k ST-202 and may have to seek out another one to try on the Emim & Emit top end.

One thing I noticed, my woofers are freshly re-foamed, on heavy bass music they really move. No voice coil rubbing at all. When I cleaned them it was pretty obvious moving the cones by hand, the spiders don’t have any resistance, no tension at all, really soft and kinda mushy. After sleeping on it I wonder if the caps and coils are fine in that circuit ?

Maybe it’s the 45 year old spiders that are attributing to the somewhat mushy bass. They still sound good but you can tell when I’m just powering the bottom end. At least I think it would be tighter.

I think I may pull them one by one since I have a spare, and send them to either Millersound or Watkins for reconing / rebuilding.

If I remember right in the past I’ve bi-amped my Kappa 8’s (original version) CS 3006, 3009’s, REN 80’s and another pair or two and never really noticed any difference.

When you switch the 4.5s to "BIAMP", you are actually changing the crossover values between the EMIMs and woofers,s o you can't really compare to other passive biamp situations.

Actually I can compare. Why would say you that ? each does have it’s own signature and I’ve heard the difference between all of them. Bi amping or not.

Back
Top Bottom