I'm falling in love with the Accuphase stuff

zebulon1

Working on my own stuff. Finally
Subscriber
I responded to a CL listing in Socal for the set of Accuphase equipment.
Went and got it yesterday.
Fantastic sounding in original condition. Handsome as well.
Not sure what the plan is but this last spring I bought a C-200 and 300 from a guy in Canada that need some TLC.
So, I have my hands full of Accuphase.

Hey, what's the deal on using the small knobs under the flap? Mine won't turn.

DSC04294.JPG

The door opens.
The knobs won't move/rotate.
Their so stiff, I'm afraid if I use any more force than what I can with my fingers they'll break.
The plan is to Deoxit and lub, so I'll be in there. Only wondering if there is trick to operating them.

Sweet looking set. Any plans to upgrade the power cords? The stock ones seem too thin to me.

BTW, how did that set slip past me? Congrats.

I know. I thought about you when I saw it on CL.
It was located in Apple Valley. Probably the same drive for you as it was for me.
It wasn't score per se, but a better than fair price.

The cords are original and I fell for the ones on Amazon which don't fit. Their advertised to work but their slots are too short.

Congrats! You'll be very happy with those vintage Accuphase units. I just reluctantly let my T100, C200, P300 set go. Excellent pieces and built like tanks but I couldn't justify them sitting on the back burned any longer. I still have an E303X Integrated in the shop and the matching T105 tuner, so I still have at least one Accuphase set left!

I have the same set. My small knobs under the panel were also also very very stiff. Deoxit and patience is the answer. I replaced all the caps in the units and I no longer keep changing audio equipment. My favorite prior to Accuphase was my Kenwood Model 600 integrated amp which I also restored. I gave that one to my son. It was a great unit but I just prefer the Accuphase. Do the restoration. You won't regret it. And you can marvel that in 1974 Accuphase was using removable circuit cards when others were just getting away from point to point wiring. The tuner is also a work of art. These were the first pieces from the guys who broke off from Kenwood under the Kensonic name and then just Accuphase and if they wanted to make a statement with their first units they certainly did.

I have the same set. My small knobs under the panel were also also very very stiff. Deoxit and patience is the answer. I replaced all the caps in the units and I no longer keep changing audio equipment. My favorite prior to Accuphase was my Kenwood Model 600 integrated amp which I also restored. I gave that one to my son. It was a great unit but I just prefer the Accuphase. Do the restoration. You won't regret it. And you can marvel that in 1974 Accuphase was using removable circuit cards when others were just getting away from point to point wiring. The tuner is also a work of art. These were the first pieces from the guys who broke off from Kenwood under the Kensonic name and then just Accuphase and if they wanted to make a statement with their first units they certainly did.

Copy that.
The controls need a good cleaning. Once the covers are removed I'll be in it up to my eyeballs rebuilding it. That's how it ends up going in my shop.
The defeat and tone switches are already dropping the left channel.
Thanks for the advice on the lower, hidden knobs.

Congrats! You'll be very happy with those vintage Accuphase units. I just reluctantly let my T100, C200, P300 set go. Excellent pieces and built like tanks but I couldn't justify them sitting on the back burned any longer. I still have an E303X Integrated in the shop and the matching T105 tuner, so I still have at least one Accuphase set left!

Cool! That is precisely the pair that I have been using, and couldn't be happier. Let us know what your impressions are when the service is completed.

Damn I love that tuner - Ive never seen it.

yea I have the same issue with my C200 - very stiff little controls under the flap.

I've had it running for several days and only yesterday did I see the tuner lit up when walking into the shop with the lights off.
The dial is back-lit green. Way cool.
Hiding under the lower flap door is a multipath meter. Now that's really cool!

DSC04303.JPG

DSC04304.JPG

I'm beginning to start the Deoxit treatment:
I actually have two of these preamps to do.
Not much to this pre. Very few Electrolytic caps in it.
Looks are deceiving. Wow! Very well built and easy to access.

DSC00014[1].JPG

DSC00013[1].JPG

My first tuner was a Kenwood KT-7000, a great tuner from 1970 a couple years before Kensonic/Accuphase was formed and it has similar looks to the dial...one source saying that the early Accuphase tuners used Kenwood dials and a number other parts. I really liked the build quality (external) of the KT-7000 and see the move that Kensonic did to move a bit higher up the ladder as Kenwood was move more mainstream. Always like that Accuphase gear but haven't had a chance to get any, yet.

Getting those all new inside and nice outside and it will be a great set.

You can see the resemblance in the KT's and the Accuphase units. I have admired the Kenwood KT line but never auditioned any.
You know, you're invited over any time when in town.

Back
Top Bottom