I'm Finally a Full Fledged Member of the Club - WOW!!!!

Vinylcafe

Linvin' the Dream
My appologies if I run off a bit here ...

As some may know, I've been working the restoration for a while now. That's my cabinet in an earlier post. The truth however is, I've never actaully heard a 500C up until tonight!
I've wanted to get back to vinyl and vintage so used this incredible site to figure out how.
After much research I came to the 500C.
Well, after a weekend with the metalbone kit, and some help from a colleague at work, I finally powered it up. We even put the baby on an audio test generator and scope to see two beautifully matched sine waves; smooth as silk.
HOLLY COW!!!!!
I was running what some might say are slightly coloured JBL L100s (speakers of my deams as a teen) off a Sony HT amp.
The Fisher has tamed those speakers in so many ways (as someone in the speaker forum pointed out, it was the only way he liked the L100s; through a Fisher 500C).
Well first the base is so tight and punchy, it blew the Sony out of the water. Second the Fisher takes away that midrange bright/harshness out of the JBLs, they are now FAR smoother and easier to listen to.
There's also power to spare, the police will arrive, before I run out of juice.

I took my 17-year-old daughter down to the basement (only place it's allowed to live), and just crancked it. She was blown away, she said she's never heard anything like it. I played the Speakers Corner pressing of Yellow Brick Road; would make you weep, the sound was so good. I noted that her generation has only ever listend to music through $2.00 earbuds, and badly compressed MP3s.

I'm over the moon, what a wonderful sounding piece of gear. Once it's all back together, I'll post the final pix.

Glad to be part of such a great family!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was pretty impressed when I fired up my Fisher 800C for the first time. They are indeed a powerful receiver, the 7591 can deliver some serious bass too. I haven't run mine for a long time, don't have speakers that can really do it justice. Might be time to change that, I miss the Fisher sound.

Welcome and enjoy! I like playing my 500C for my teenage son's friends. They are also used to bad mp3's and cheesy earbuds. I've had comments like, "wow, it's so clear sounding", "where are all those sounds coming from?".

I agree, the first thing I bought when I had any money was a real stereo system. Technics, Luxman and Boston.
Today it's a Bose dock for $99.99. Most young people have never heard good sound. Just over compressed MP3s. Times have changed.

With the original purchase price and restoration/upgrade work done, i've put around 1.2K into my 800-C. No regrets. I'm sure it will hold it's value for years to come. Not that i'm ever going to sell, mind.

Welcome. :thmbsp:

Don't forget to fill out and send in the club membership forms that came with your 500C. The discounts available to members at your local authorized Fisher dealerships will more than cover the yearly dues. Not to mention the clinics, the quarterly newsletter and - if you have the means - don't miss the lavish annual convention in Manhattan.

Yeah, I thought it was a dream, too . . . until I found this in my wallet:

MyCard.jpg

I Want One!

Sign me up! I can then get it plasticized. Can put it where my drivers license used to go.

Pics to come for sure ... still doing a bit more

... decided to replace all electrolitics, including the 3 can caps on the deck.
Restuffing the paper cap, and have 2 new metal cans for the top.
Also need 2 12AX7s yet for the FM section, and a lamp or two to replace.
Only then do I slide the chasis into the new cabinet.
Faceplate and glass cleaned up like new.
Really fun project, and respectful of this fine gear.
Hopefully my daughter is still using it long after I'm gone!

Well, now that you're hooked, it's just a matter of time before you get more Fisher stuff.

But why stop there, what about Scott?

And Sansui?

And, well, you know what I mean.

I got bitten by the vintage tube bug, and now I own 2 Fisher 400's, 2 X202B's, a 200B Tuner, Scott 299A integrated, Sherwood 3000 IV Tuner and other variety of tube stuff.

Hope you have space in your house>

Cheers, and welcome to the madness . . .

Don't tempt me ...

I've not quite finished the 500C restoration (I want to put trim pots in, to individually adjust current for each tube), and I'm already looking for a new project.
Not sure my wife will go for it though, I'm already relegated to the basement with this setup.
But I'm lookin'!!!

Ah. You need to figure out a way to use it as your two channel home theater receiver!

Just remember the cardinal rules:
1. Encourage everyone to use it . . . it's not fragile.
2. Teach them that it's not "instant on" and a 30 second waiting period is required before you get sound.
3. The tubes look cool in the dark (if out of the case).

Back
Top Bottom