"I'm gonna make you work for it" ad on CL....

Reply to his ad and tell him if he wants to make the sale he can cough up the brand names pronto. $125 for 3 pc. sounds to me like he's going to hear a lot of "No thanks, I'll pass."

Last edited:
Gotta wonder about people who think that other people have time for stuff like that. Ads in the Wanted section that say "Wanted" for a title. Who's going to open that? "Pioneer Speakers $150" with no pics, no model number. Who has time to ask about it?

Not the best way to compete with all the other sellers.

What if it is some crazy old coot who wants to give his McIntosh receiver, Empire turntable and Tannoy speakers a new home but wants to thin the heard?

Respond to seller that you don't want the brand names but prefer the generic equivalents at a reduced cost.

In fairness I see some pretty boneheaded advertising right here on AK. My favorite... "Local sale only, no shipping" with absolutely no mention of where local is....

Last edited:
Respond to seller that you don't want the brand names but prefer the generic equivalents at a reduced cost.

In fairness I see some pretty boneheaded advertising right here on AK. My favorite... "Local sale only, no shipping" with absolutely no mention of where local is....

As well as the helpful postings in D&S with titles like "McIntosh! Local CL". Uhh, WHICH local CL? You might tell us in the title so 90% of us can skip it...

As well as the helpful postings in D&S with titles like "McIntosh! Local CL". Uhh, WHICH local CL? You might tell us in the title so 90% of us can skip it...

Exactly. Then there's the ones that go part way there but still leave you hanging. "Local sale only, Springfield"...

Uh.....ok. Springfield Ohio? Springfield, Illinois? Virginia..? Missouri ????

I agree that it is annoying and stupid, but I've had a couple of great Craigslist scores because of terrible or strange listings. Off-the-wall categories, no pics, poor descriptions, etc. Unless you're willing to ask, you never know what they may be sitting on! Most of the time it's still crap.

Back
Top Bottom