I'm here because I'm desperate...

Budgetblown

Hello All.

My name's Leigh, and I'm and here seeking help and info with regards my Snell Reference A5 speakers. I've got a long way to go, but I've worked my way up from a system made of separates that cost me £40 in total!

My "Main System" is currently not set up, as having moved recently things are in a state of utter chaos... But here's a brief run-down:

Sources: I'm forever playing with things here...

Chromecast
Micromega Stage 1 CD Player
Micromega Stage 2 CD Player
Marantz CD-52
A few other Players - the rack is full!
Marantz DCC player

Connects:

A motley connection of SHB, cambridge audio, and others.

Pre-amp

Thule Spirit PR-350B (Yes... I know it's an AV Pre-amp - but it works beautifully as a stereo pre, and has a lovely DAC that works nicely with the opti output from the Chromecast)

Connects to Power amps

Custom SHB cables. I told Wilf what I had, and he came up with something I can only describe as "Lovely" - and of totally unknown spec! Adcom power amps have, as far as I can tell, been very picky with regards the interconnect from the Pre, and he did me proud.

Power Amps

Adcom GFA 565 factory custom units. Upgraded toroidal transformers, IEC sockets (some of the early ones came with captive cables, which was the case at the time this unit was built), upgraded power caps, solid silver wire in the signal path, upgraded op-amps, upgraded toroidal transformers, and... wierdly... the main pair of speaker cable connectors have been custom machined from bronze. There are a few other tweaks that I've forgotten, I'm sure.

Speaker cables

Unknown! Solid silver strands (6 of them) - about 4mm across for the bunch, thick insulation and braided shielding. Possibly by Sonic Link. I got told that when new, each individual strand of cable (they're not paired up) cost £200 per foot, and I got 40 foot for £179...

Speakers

Many! Of note, I think are Snell Reference A5 towers (which is why I've ended up here, trawling for information before I use them), and TJL 3W towers, which are the speakers I'm looking to replace on the main system.

Welcome Leigh.

I don't have any experience with Snell Reference A5, but I'm aware that they are impressive speaker systems. I own Snell Type CV, so I know that Snell made some great products. Please post some pics.

Welcome Leigh.

I don't have any experience with Snell Reference A5, but I'm aware that they are impressive speaker systems. I own Snell Type CV, so I know that Snell made some great products. Please post some pics.

When the man cave is sorted, I shall be delighted - they're beautiful speakers, the walnut veneer is stunning. The rear-firing tweeter is something I'm very much looking forward to playing with :D

Welcome! Post your questions in General Audio Discussion or another more specific forum to get more response - this is just intros.

I do have experience with the Snell Speakers and direct contact to former upper level management. You cam PM me directly for any information you may need. I can't post any information on line from the Snell archives due to a non disclosure agreement.

If you've come here because you're desperate, this is not the place you want. Try AudioPersonals forum.

"SM SS A/B seeking SF SS or tube A/AB who enjoys long walks, cleaning LPs and cuddling near heatsinks."

Welcome.

Hardly sounds like desperation to me? I've never has any Snell speaks, but I have had a Micromega CD. Nice little unit. Whats the issue. Toss them out the window if they dont sound right.
Welcome.

No one in there right mind would toss out a set of A5's. These are some of the finest speaker that Snell made and any other comment about them is born out of ignorance. My offer stands to provide the hook up information for his set up. And yes, I have had and do have several Snell speaker sets. XA90/XA60 /XA55/SR30THX and ICS24.

Back
Top Bottom