1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

I'm just not feeling the love

Discussion in 'Tape' started by quiet, Mar 1, 2018.

1. quiet

quiet AK Subscriber Subscriber

My 89 years old father set me to fixing his four reel units. So I did. Belts, tubes, lots of alcohol and oil. Anything for dad. Then we started listening our way through his EIGHT 12x12x16 inch boxes of tape.
    Good tape to, really good tape. Turns out Dad has good taste. And he put all that music on two channel both ways at high speed. Nothing but the best for Dad.
    I must admit it sounds great. He took most of it off of 33's on the first play at small weekend parties in the neighborhood from about 1960 to 1970. Actually that sounds like a great way to spend an evening. These couples got dressed up to go to dinner parties and listen to new record releases that each couple brought with them . Wish we had it back.
    Anyway, from these tapes comes hardly a pop or tick to be heard. This is not the record or cassette sound I remember from high school in the 70's. For starting out I matched it with the old Scott 30 watt ss and Wharfedale 70d's. No problem there, a good enough match.
    Here's the problem .This is a lot of work. Dad want's to use ONLY the TEAK 4070. The exact one that I don't want to be working on any more if I don't have to. Now these tapes run a long time. But no, Dad want's to hear a piece from this tape then one from that tape and so on........so pop it off, pop it on, thread it though, spin it up. It would be sooo much easier to just type it into the computer and push go.
    Turns out the only love I'm felling here is for Dad. Wonder if he knows........

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. GPS16

GPS16 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I'm with your Dad!!!

What will you be playing when you are 89 yrs old????

Your digital files will probably be gone on a duff hard drive which you did not back up in time and would probably be MP3s anyway. Your Dad's tapes will still be there and if you have a machine you will still be able to play them.

I am 57 yrs old and still like something for my money which I can hold in my hands and store on a shelf.

If he has multiple machines, make him a compilation of favourites!!!

From a resigned old grump!!! (Who still likes his reels.)

GPS16

Dennman6, joshvito, vendo81 and 4 others like this.
  3. John James

John James "Bob's your uncle" (Stolen) Subscriber

".....so pop it off, pop it on, thread it though, spin it up."

"Turns out the only love I'm felling here is for Dad. Wonder if he knows........"

Kind of like changing your diapers years ago? :)

Dennman6, ETLS, macster and 7 others like this.
  4. SPEC2man

SPEC2man Are we there yet? Subscriber

What I would give to sit and listen to classic 60's/70's music with my Dad ... treasure it, he will be gone before you know it and you will remember the reel to reel jam sessions with him. This may sound weird but if it was me, I would record his telling stories while the music plays in the background. We have some recordings of my old pops telling stories about his favorite tunes and what music was like when he was a kid. How things have changed and live shows he had caught as a young dental student in Minneapolis (late 1940's). It gives me chills and brings tears to my eyes when I listen to those old cassettes now. I wish I would have spent more time doing it ... he had so many great stories to tell.

Enjoy, I envy you

Dennman6, joshvito, dyche01 and 7 others like this.
  5. meggy

meggy AK Subscriber Subscriber

So what does he like to listen to?

6. SPL db

SPL db It's all about the music! Subscriber

I used to sit and listen to big band music with my dad before he passed... I even have the 78 record that was made of the 20 piece big band he was in while in the Army during WWII.

Have another 78 of my grandmother on my dad's side singing with my grandfather playing the piano in a band so many moons ago.

Memories...

7. quiet

Yes yes and yes. I'm going to try to get some of his friends from the senior center over in the evenings to party with us. If I can get them to wax poetic about back in the day I'll run tape for them all night every night. I think he has something that at least a few of them know plenty about but don't have any more.
    This is going to be a lot of fun but my appreciation for "THE MACHINE" is going to have to come later.
    The music starts with materiel from about 1600, a little here and there.
    Then it picks up heavy at the turn of the century with Joplin.
    From there it goes right on though to 1970.
    Big band, all the essentials. Good Jazz, no junk.
    Mountain from the Appalachians. Blue grass from everywhere.
    Pop from all years, I know see pop has always been with us, definitely though the wars.
    Some country. No ballads, nothing slow.
    The stuff from 1963 on is all original. The musicals before that are remakes. The vocals before that are remasterd as best I can tell.

Dennman6, Hunted11 and bashman like this.
  8. savatage1973

savatage1973 Addicted Member

Digital is a matter of "convenience" and we all are so busy that we want "instant gratification". I have TTs and R2R decks and I enjoy them, but there is a certain "commitment" to sit down and enjoy them. Your dad is 89--what else does he have to do?--so spending the afternoon or even whole day playing with tape is probably no big deal, and it brings him great enjoyment. Kudos to you for fixing him up

Dennman6 likes this.
  9. quiet

About the system. Well it's all analog. We have here a Pioneer tube AM/FM simulcast stereo receiver from 1963 I believe.
    I'm working on it with the help of the folks on the boards here. Got tubes and caps coming. Dads very excited about that.
    I'm looking forward to hearing the sound of the 60's. And it's all stereo.
    All I remember is 70's solid state.

10. quiet

If the Pioneer doesn't come out throwing strikes we could use one of the other three reels which are tube with amps but he's pretty set on the Teak he got in 72.

11. oldvinyldude

oldvinyldude AK Subscriber Subscriber

I grew up with LP's and cassettes, but now own multiple R2R's. Tape gets played from time to time, but more often, LP's. I have a ton of digitized music, but somehow, it just doesn't give me the same listening experience satisfaction.
    I miss the ritual of the analog process, and I imagine your dad does too.
    I am certain he would rather be swapping reels, but I gather he is unable to, so it falls to you. Good for you for bearing with it. I bet that the satisfaction of doing this for him now, will far exceed the hassle involved, when you look back. It's the journey, not the destination, that matters.

joshvito, John James and Grbluen like this.

12. quiet

Oh he can do it. He wants to sit in the chair and tell me "what" to do. Which is fine now that we have gotten to the place where I need to tell him what he "can't" do. Like drive down the interstate at 80 mph. Or get up at 6 in the morning and cook breakfast while everyone else is still sleeping.
    He has as many LP's as tapes but he won't play them. He says their only good for one play and don't sound the same after that. I need to give that a little thought.

Dennman6 and Ronald1973 like this.
  13. quiet

The two of us spun tapes today for about two hours. Al Hirt and Pete Fountain. Turns out Dad and Mom saw Al play in New Orleans. He talked a lot, Dad not Al.

Dennman6, GerardG, John James and 3 others like this.
  14. Djcoolray

Djcoolray Addicted Member

Your lucky you have a father to do things for, my parents would have been that age if only, que sera....sera !! Different generations have different standards because of how much effort was necessary to live a consistently good life. People were actively involved with everything and had shared experiences with those they knew. But yah, if you have more than one machine make a copy of all his favs on one tape. Doing stuff is cool, just pushing a button is....

Dennman6 likes this.
  15. N8Nagel

N8Nagel AK Subscriber Subscriber

Just be glad your dad didn't drop off some actually decent gear at Goodwill for a HTIB...

Dennman6 likes this.
  16. bashman

bashman AK Subscriber Subscriber

Since my first LP was "The Doors," my dad and I rarely agreed on music (well, his was music and mine was noise), but now that he's gone, this sounds like a pretty cool way to spend time with your dad. Cherish that time.

17. quiet

The music parties were a regular thing. Everybody got together just to be doing it. The music was the vehicle. Wasn't always just the same people. You never new when somebody new would be invited by a regular. That's why everybody dressed all the time. And yes the ladies always looked great, the dresses, the shoes, the hair, the makeup. The 60's. The guys just looked clean. The new people were a big part of the fun.
    Dad wants the favorites to cassettes for his car and I want his keys.
    The six foot long Magnavox console was traded in about 1966 for a new better tv. That's the way they did it back then.
    Yep, four good working machines. Haven't seen that many in one place since they were running them six at a time from the one turn table in order get all the recording done. Takes a while to run 5,6,7, LP's with dinner in the way.
    They had it going on for a long while. I'm jealous..

Dennman6 likes this.
  18. Vinylcafe

Vinylcafe Linvin' the Dream

This is the BEST thread I've read here in a good long while.
    Maybe it's just me, not seeing this happening with digital files of any format.

joshvito, adj69 and GerardG like this.
  19. Mark B

Mark B Yamaha Fan Subscriber

That's nice - thanks for sharing.

20. quiet

Dads already ordered up the material for tomorrow. Says we need to exercise the equipment. The Andrew Sisters, Jerry Lee Lewis and Wanda Jackson, whoever that is.
    Thought it would be an evening thing but no, play after school and home work at night.

Said I was jealous but I'm really green as can be. I would love to do these music dinner parties today. When I grow up I want to be like Dad.

No digital wouldn't work here or the parties, sad. To easy to stay home and "push the button".
    Happy to share.