I'm looking for a battery, Rob any ideas?

VinylHanger

Navigaret ex ironia
What I am looking for is a battery with large 9 volt style connectors and it is half the thickness of a 6 volt flashlight battery and the same overall hieght. The rub is that it is 67.5 volt's.It is for an old moisture meter I found at ST. Vinny's today. This thing is sweet, but how in the heck did they get 67.5 volt's out of something this small? Any idea how I can make a power pack for it, it needs to be small enough to carry on job sights. Is that even possible? I will post a pic tomorrow.

VH,

Those old 67-1/2 volt "B" batteries were common back in the portable tube radio days. I remember seeing them made by Burgess and Eveready. They may still be available from someone like an industrial electronics supplier from a company like Eveready, but don't count on it, and if they are they will probably be $75.00 or more each! One good option would be to get a DC to DC converter module that would work off a 6 or 12 volt gel-cel storage battery, both small enough to fit the space. A faster option would be to get 8 regular 9 volt xistor radio batteries, like Duracells and solder a pack all in series. Hold together with tape. Put electrical tape over all the ends to cover the terminals. Mind you at the prices some places charge for a 9 volt Duracell you could still be paying $40 for this battery. How about trying this with some regular so called HD carbon zinc 9 volt batteries first to see if the instrument works. Sometimes you can find these for two for a dollar.

For a connector you could rip the terminal end caps off two 9 volt batteries, solder one to your battery pack and the other to what is in the instrument presently with short flexible wires. Be careful to note polarity through the connectors.

VH...you can give these guys a call...I didn't see the battery listed on their webpage...but if you call them...they have got TONS of stuff. They just may have your battery too ;)

Thanks guys, I will give both suggestions a try. The 9 volt idea seems the best, as it has a shouldercase which I can hide the "powerpack" and run it on a tether.
Besides, the bigger the tools, the happier the customer :D

Back
Top Bottom