I'm prepping for whatever.....

Tapehead47

Addicted Member
A couple of weeks ago, when the gov't warned us it would shut down, I had a cold chill run up my spine. I couldn't sleep that nite and had all these morbid thoughts. I'm usually pretty much happy-go-lucky, but it suddenly hit me right in the face.

Previously I'd compiled a bunch of hurricane aftermath gear. And I'm an avid camper, so we had sleeping bags and tents, etc. Lighting, emergency radio, extra batteries, canned foods, Cooking gear and so on.

But one night I had a nightmare of some intruder prowling our house. We're pretty secluded on an acre, as are our neighbors. I had no home defense weapons. I used to, but I sold them all years ago.

So the next day I bought a Taurus Judge, went to the bank and got a bunch of cash, ordered a stockpile of survival foods (25 yrs shelf life), and about 100rounds of .410 shotshells.

Have any one of you felt this way? Better safe than sorry.

My neighbor, who is 10 yrs. younger and makes 4 times what I do, is convinced he will be standing in bread lines a la Moscow before he can retire.
I plan on moving to the stix with my relatives where we can be self supporting, I hope to retire in 6 yrs. Hope things don't get crazy before then.

I think we are headed to a really bad place. I don't know what that is but with the way things are going I don't think foreign invaders should be our biggest fear anymore.

Not enough for me to go out and buy a gun for personal protection but living here in earthquake country we have enough in non perishables to get by for several weeks, if not more. It is understandable to be concerned about how things are going in D.C. but we still believe the ballot box is the best solution to issues facing us.

Anything more from me on this will get a warning to take it over to PoliticalChat.org.:para:

I'm looking forward to the collapse of civilization ... finally get a chance to use up all them crackers and guvmint cheese I stockpiled for Y2k!

Realistically, best you can do is plan for the short term. Weather events and stuff like that. Anything more, and unless you got a hole you can crawl in and drag in after you, you're pretty much fu .. fu .. functionally screwed.

Sleep well tonite ...

I'm a Marine. If worse comes to worst, I'll take the survivalist's food and eat that. Failing that, I'll eat them. ;)

On a more serious note, everyone who preps and has not killed, cleaned, cooked, and eaten their own food isn't going to make it. I don't care how pretty their rifle is or how much ammo they've got salted away, if they can't clear a failure to feed or learn to lead a flock of geese with a shotgun based on distance, they're doomed.

How many have a car that can run after an EMP or mass coronal ejection? How many can pump gas manually from underground tanks at abandoned gas stations? Use a topo map and a lensatic compass, anyone? Know what a rally point is? Didn't think so.

Who here has stitched up a wound on a living person? Who uses medications and has stockpiles of that? Anyone ever actually try to get out of their house in a hurry while blindfolded and crawling on the ground, simulating a house fire at night with heavy smoke? Anyone ever practice GTFOOD with the entire family, everyone actually knowing their roles and how to meet up later? Food and weapons caches? No? Didn't think so.

Let's pray it doesn't all fall apart. 99% of ya'll are goners if it does. And of the preppers, a good 90% of them are dreamers.

Just sayin'.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/27/nyregion/the-doomsday-preppers-of-new-york.html?_r=0

EDIT: Heck, I've tried to get family and friends interested in taking FREE weather-spotter courses from Skywarn, part of the FEMA thing, paid for by your tax dollars for years. I get nearly NO takers. No one really cares about being prepared; they just talk about it. I doubt any of you know how to spot the type of clouds that actually lead to tornadoes, the kind of natural disaster that can actually kill people, and most of you can't be arsed to learn, even when it's free and easy. So when I make fun of preppers, that's part of the reason. They talk a good game; most of them are completely full of shit.

Last edited:
I'm a Marine. If worse comes to worst, I'll take the survivalist's food and eat that. Failing that, I'll eat them. ;)

On a more serious note, everyone who preps and has not killed, cleaned, cooked, and eaten their own food isn't going to make it. I don't care how pretty their rifle is or how much ammo they've got salted away, if they can't clear a failure to feed or learn to lead a flock of geese with a shotgun based on distance, they're doomed.

How many have a car that can run after an EMP or mass coronal ejection? How many can pump gas manually from underground tanks at abandoned gas stations? Use a topo map and a lensatic compass, anyone? Know what a rally point is? Didn't think so.

Who here has stitched up a wound on a living person? Who uses medications and has stockpiles of that? Anyone ever actually try to get out of their house in a hurry while blindfolded and crawling on the ground, simulating a house fire at night with heavy smoke? Anyone ever practice GTFOOD with the entire family, everyone actually knowing their roles and how to meet up later? Food and weapons caches? No? Didn't think so.

Let's pray it doesn't all fall apart. 99% of ya'll are goners if it does. And of the preppers, a good 90% of them are dreamers.

Just sayin'.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/27/nyregion/the-doomsday-preppers-of-new-york.html?_r=0

EDIT: Heck, I've tried to get family and friends interested in taking FREE weather-spotter courses from Skywarn, part of the FEMA thing, paid for by your tax dollars for years. I get nearly NO takers. No one really cares about being prepared; they just talk about it. I doubt any of you know how to spot the type of clouds that actually lead to tornadoes, the kind of natural disaster that can actually kill people, and most of you can't be arsed to learn, even when it's free and easy. So when I make fun of preppers, that's part of the reason. They talk a good game; most of them are completely full of shit.

All good points, but you leave out the fact that as pale and doughy as we are as a nation, there is still a survival instinct in us.

When it comes to self preservation, people can figure things out pretty quickly (not to mention that we wouldn't all be in it alone. The people who can't feed themselves may have skills that the hunter gatherers DON'T have, but need. The barter system then becomes active.)

I may not be able to skin a deer well, but I can keep that non-ECU truck running for my buddy who CAN skin the deer (and needs the truck to transport from the kill site). Neither of us can cook, but another buddy used to be a chef.
See where I'm going with this?

Apocalypticism has been going strong for more than two thousand years, I expect it will still be going strong two thousand years from now. :yes:

Last edited:
Wiggy, I know a lot of that stuff. The way I see it is if the "problems" lasts beyond my food supplies then It's all over and won't care what the f*** happens. I simply want our family to survive until it's safe to reemerge into society. I'm not planning on surviving forever. Only outlast a doomsday event.

If we need the things you mentioned it will be too late.

I could make a living buying shipping containers, welding some steel culvert on one end and burying them as shelters for the preppers but I would have to move outta coastal California...naw, too far from the beach.:smoke:

I'm reading a book on the great Jewish Revolt of the 1st Century, a truly apocalyptic event. Having more food and weapons didn't forestall death, just delayed it.

Think too of the Thirty Years War or Chmielnicki's revolt. When those things happened individuals were powerless.

Note too that if faced with some fantastic disaster Americans will do what they've always done--cooperate. Form committees, elect officials, delegate jobs to those most qualified, form militias to stamp out brigands and so on. Americans are a restrained and orderly people. Hell, look back to when we actually did fight a civil war, can history show another one fought with such restraint?

Last edited:
I refuse to join in the madness. In case you didn't notice, nothing cataclysmic came of that stupid government shutdown, beyond a few bruised egos and bunch of silly fearmongering.

My plan for the total collapse of civilization is to die. I HATE outdoor living. I don't want to live in an uncivilized world, death is preferable to that crap. Why do you think we spent the last thousand years building civilization? Because the alternative SUCKS. That's why.

I don't own any guns and if I ever decide to buy one in preparation for the apocalypse, I will require exactly one bullet.

Think I'm a coward?

I don't care.

Dave

Just sayin'.

Congratulations, Wigwam! You have submitted the most sensible post thus far.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom