I'm prepping for whatever.....

A couple of weeks ago, when the gov't warned us it would shut down, I had a cold chill run up my spine. I couldn't sleep that nite and had all these morbid thoughts. I'm usually pretty much happy-go-lucky, but it suddenly hit me right in the face.

Previously I'd compiled a bunch of hurricane aftermath gear. And I'm an avid camper, so we had sleeping bags and tents, etc. Lighting, emergency radio, extra batteries, canned foods, Cooking gear and so on.

But one night I had a nightmare of some intruder prowling our house. We're pretty secluded on an acre, as are our neighbors. I had no home defense weapons. I used to, but I sold them all years ago.

So the next day I bought a Taurus Judge, went to the bank and got a bunch of cash, ordered a stockpile of survival foods (25 yrs shelf life), and about 100rounds of .410 shotshells.

Have any one of you felt this way? Better safe than sorry.

No, not at all.

While I agree with the general idea that one should be reasonably prepared for most eventualities, and cannot fault anyone for laying in a prudent supply of food and a generator, for example, such steps can be taken too far. Anxiety and paranoia have biological and neurological roots. If I felt myself becoming like that, I'd probably start researching and playing with my diet and lifestyle, to try to correct the underlying imbalances. "All we have to fear is fear itself" might be an appropriate motto in many such cases. That could do more for one's well-being than digging a bigger bunker.

I have never watched the shows (about survivalists) but I see people that are afraid to live life. Once this starts to dictate normal living then it has gone too far. There are a couple of groups that always make me chuckle around here. Many seem to have the thought that if something major were to happen they would all just run to the mountains with a tent and a box of shells to "Shoot deer and live off the land". I always point out that 500,000 other people have the same thought.

And the other is "I have a gun and will just take what I need" The only problem with that one is most people that would have the stuff worth taking also have a gun.

Having like minded neighbors is always a plus.:thmbsp:

I like to think I'm the smart little piggy. It's like putting some money under the mattress. Probably will never need it, but it's there for my family, and friends who might.
I'm not paranoid or 'fear livin', nor have plans to fight zombies or a militia.

But I'm totally enjoying this thread as it evokes many opinions and solutions that are on our minds. Haven't any of you belonged to the Boy Scouts? I took their motto seriously.

Call doom prepping a hobby ... you got your run of the mill tinkers, and then there's the fanatics ... as with any hobby.

I think we are headed to a really bad place. I don't know what that is but with the way things are going I don't think foreign invaders should be our biggest fear anymore.

I can see the possibility of them becoming foreign liberators in my lifetime (and I'm 66).

Funny thing, most of the people I've taken deep into the woods, I like to hunt, totally freak out and want to do crazy things like ignore compass readings and head off into wrong directions. I've seen people that grew up in the country lose their heads, so I can't imagine what someone with zero experience might do. I have always had difficulty understanding panic and the fear of spending just one night in the forest, but these experiences have taught me that I cannot always rely on others, as well as the value of a little knowledge, and basic preparation.

First you need proper clothing, good shoes so you don't fall and possibly sustain an injury.

The ability to make a fire allows you to boil water, cook, signal, keep warm, and just feel better. If I’m home I use the grill. In the forest I carry a Zippo lighter and at least one other means of starting a fire.

As for guns, if I thought everyone was out to get me I certainly wouldn't broadcast my location with loud gun shots! Think about it, unless you are in a very remote area any shots fired are likely to attract attention, not exactly the best move in a lawless scenario, and how would you know for certain that you could live off the land, perhaps the problem is chemical or nuclear and everything is poisoned, what then? Some food, drink, a full tank of gas, and a credit card might be a lot more useful. It’s amazing what a difference just a hundred miles can make.

Sheesh, this one's getting too weird even for the likes of me. What's next? Freemasonry? Nostradamus?

Very interesting thread.

Some 15 years ago I stopped to worry about potential forthcoming catastrophes in my personal life or general ones realising that there is nothing else than presence. I felt much better from then on. "The secret of health, both body and mind is not to mourn about the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment."

Very interesting thread.

Some 15 years ago I stopped to worry about potential forthcoming catastrophes in my personal life or general ones realising that there is nothing else than presence. I felt much better from then on. "The secret of health, both body and mind is not to mourn about the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment."

Just look at how happy dogs are!:D

I remember years ago, my brother was a daredevil of sorts. With life and money. His excuse was, you may be dead tomorrow.
He kind of changed his tune, when I reminded him.
You will only be dead tomorrow once. You will be alive tomorrow everyday till then.

Hey, Thats my line

Very interesting thread.

I agree with HK

I don't prep anymore, it was just a fad for me

see my signature

I often thought exactly that! They really seem to live in the very presence. :thmbsp:

They obviously got it. Some food. Some sleep. Some sex. Some cat chasing. Thats all. Let's learn from them!

:D

:nono: No cat chasing round here or the big dawg will be off the porch, chasing you.:D Om mani padme hung.:smoke:

mmmmmMMMMMmmmm ... zombie ...

Bob-Zink-arm.png

Would you like brains with that?

Back
Top Bottom