I'M TRIPPIN'! Well, the breaker is...

BlueB

So, I got all this new (to me) stuff set up properly (I think) with help from several very nice people on here; thank you all...

BUT! Every time I plug the amp in it trips the breaker...

I have tried plugging things in one at a time alone and the only one that trips it is the amp. I learned about selecting 120v/220v for things that are for use in other countries, my amp doesn't seem to have that.

I plugged other things into the outlet to see if it was possibly the outlet, it works fine with other items...

Pioneer SA-9500

Any ideas?

Call me crazy, but it sounds like the power plug to your amp is shorted.
Have you ever used the amp?
Can the cord be kinked?
Has the cord been subjected to any recent bending or twisting?
Perhaps it is in the unit.
Has that been moved around any recently?

There is nothing else that can blow the house breaker other an a short or a near short,
if the equipment is not even in the On position.

Seems a bit dangerous to be blowing the house breaker, with no power.
Be careful in your investigation.

Shorted transformer perhaps. And probably the wrong size mains fuse installed. If your tripping and fusebox breaker. GFCI outlet ?

I don't have the schematic to this unit.
But the unit should (maybe) have a safety cap between the AC lines inside the unit.
That should break open if it fails.
The safety caps are designed to fail open, I don't know if they ever fail shorted on occasion.
But I have read of some weird failures.
Perhaps it has failed shorted and has shorted the AC line.
Just a thought at this point.
If the cord looks ok.

you need a meter and if you dont know how to use it,you need someone who does. im not trying to be a jerk or smart a.. by the way what sort of fuse is installed in the rear of the amp?

you need a meter and if you dont know how to use it,you need someone who does. im not trying to be a jerk or smart a.. by the way what sort of fuse is installed in the rear of the amp?
I have know idea about how to use a meter, nor am I aware of the fuse... TOTAL novice.
BUT, I'm now going to look at the fuse in hopes of a simple fix...

Blue - click on this link and download the service manual from Digital Docs. Page 12 will show you the fuses on the power supply circuit assembly and what their values are. Page 19 shows procedure to remove fuse assembly. Page 24 shows location of fuse assembly on "KCU-D" types
(bottom view). Pages 34-36 are exploded views of different types. Page 46 shows fuse values for FU1 to FU4 in a parts list in box on the right hand side of page titled FUSES AND LAMP. Be sure to check the list for your type. It's very ez to look at the wrong list or drawing. Full schematic drawings come after that. You need to determine what TYPE your 9500 is to be looking at the drawing for same. Different types (denoted with letters) went to different countries. You may or may not have a fuse blown but your mind is about to be. I hope this was helpful to your journey.
Happy hunting_:)

http://akdatabase.com/AKview/displayimage.php?album=43&pos=86

Last edited:
I have know idea about how to use a meter, nor am I aware of the fuse... TOTAL novice.
BUT, I'm now going to look at the fuse in hopes of a simple fix...
See my post above - If you have a 9500 this is the manual unless you have 9500 ll then of course find and download that one. Service manual not owner's manual.

Blue - click on this link and download the service manual from Digital Docs. Page 12 will show you the fuses on the power supply circuit assembly and what their values are. Page 19 shows procedure to remove fuse assembly. Page 24 shows location of fuse assembly on "KCU-D" types
(bottom view). Pages 34-36 are exploded views of different types. Page 46 shows fuse values for FU1 to FU4 in a parts list in box on the right hand side of page titled FUSES AND LAMP. Be sure to check the list for your type. It's very ez to look at the wrong list or drawing. Full schematic drawings come after that. You need to determine what TYPE your 9500 is to be looking at the drawing for same. Different types (denoted with letters) went to different countries. You may or may not have a fuse blown but your mind is about to be. I hope this was helpful to your journey.
Happy hunting_:)

http://akdatabase.com/AKview/displayimage.php?album=43&pos=86
WOW! Thanks so much...
I'm in over my head but kicking for the surface.
I'm really thankful for the guidance.

WOW! Thanks so much...
I'm in over my head but kicking for the surface.
I'm really thankful for the guidance.
YW also I don't know if you have yet but if not you could thumb through the thread pages here in the Pioneer forum and maybe stumble on the same problem already answered maybe even with pics. I'm no expert I'm still figuring out how to read schematics and use a meter myself. I've only done one repair on a power switch to an SX-450; thumbed through and there on page 6 was the answer with pics. I just kept going into threads about my model until I hit gold.
woo-hoo!

Last edited:
If you recently purchased this on eBay, return it and get your money back. If the seller sold it as working, it should work.

Back
Top Bottom