I'm trying to find out what's wrong with my computer.

RamblinE

(╯°□°)╯彡┻━┻
Currently on the netbook because my computer is undergoing a system recovery for the third time since July.

A little bit about the computer: It's a Compaq Presario CQ62 Windows 7 notebook. Purchased round about the summer of 2009. It worked well with only an occasional overheating incident for three years until this past July. Now it does one of two things. It will either randomly freeze, or it won't fully start up. Like I said this is my third go at a system recovery, or, wiping the machine to the condition it was in when it arrived in the mail.

After every system restore it will work for maybe a month or two before returning to the old trick of randomly freezing or refusing to boot up all of the way. What do you think could be wrong with my computer? I suppose I'm looking for less of a DIY solution and more of just a general diagnosis.

Thanks guys!

Currently on the netbook because my computer is undergoing a system recovery for the third time since July.

A little bit about the computer: It's a Compaq Presario CQ62 Windows 7 notebook. Purchased round about the summer of 2009. It worked well with only an occasional overheating incident for three years until this past July. Now it does one of two things. It will either randomly freeze, or it won't fully start up. Like I said this is my third go at a system recovery, or, wiping the machine to the condition it was in when it arrived in the mail.

After every system restore it will work for maybe a month or two before returning to the old trick of randomly freezing or refusing to boot up all of the way. What do you think could be wrong with my computer? I suppose I'm looking for less of a DIY solution and more of just a general diagnosis.

Thanks guys!

Start with replacing a hard disk, I would suggest SSD. If it won't help, it's time for a new computer. In that case you will use newly bought SSD to replace disk that comes with it. Next time buy notebook from professional series (Compaq Elitebook in case of HP), they live longer and survive more abuse ones than consumer series.

I would also assume some type of hardware issue. Have you tried a complete reinstall instead of a recovery ?

I would also assume some type of hardware issue. Have you tried a complete reinstall instead of a recovery ?

This has been brought to my attention by some friends however I have to admit that the original disks (if it even came with any) would be long gone and I don't know how to make recovery disks...

pull the hardrive put it back ..same with ram .. bet its hard drive connection though as its still in the ram .

sorry i forgot .take the battery out before doing anything ..if you cant take battery out like new apple ones i cant advise

Get a new laptop.

New laptops aren't cheap though, at least they shouldn't be. I'd like to figure out how to remedy the problem before resorting to spending all of that money. I didn't get it in like 2002, I got it in 2009. I refuse to believe it's time to take it out back and shoot it already.

After taking a quick peek at Newegg and Tigerdirect I think I'd like to fix the one I have right now....

There are 3 components that can cause this probem, hard drive, memory and motherboard. Replace them one at a time till fixed. Normally that is the order but since you have had overheat problems and it is a Compaq you might weigh the mb a little higher. Windows logs may help guide you.

There are 3 components that can cause this probem, hard drive, memory and motherboard. Replace them one at a time till fixed. Normally that is the order but since you have had overheat problems and it is a Compaq you might weigh the mb a little higher. Windows logs may help guide you.

Useful information. A motherboard would be hard to find, much less replace.

Hence my first sugestion. Dell make a great laptop and you can find a dandy on the refurb web site for under $400. They have full warranty and are 100%. You might verify that the fan intake is clean and free of dust.

Before replacing any parts, upon bootup go into the bios, and see if there is a diagnostic section. Run those. May point you to the problem area. I think pressing F10 during bootup (may have to press several times) will get you into the bios. If F10 doesn't work, check your manual for the right key to press.

Is the fan working ? The CPU could be overheating.

Oh yeah the fan works, it's a noisy little bugger.

What I'm having trouble wrapping my head around is that if it's a hardware problem then why does a system restore fix it, at least for a few months? Also, it operates just fine in safe mode + networking. I've had no problem backing up my stuff in safe mode before doing a system restore.

Oh yeah the fan works, it's a noisy little bugger.

What I'm having trouble wrapping my head around is that if it's a hardware problem then why does a system restore fix it, at least for a few months?

Because the system has intermittant trouble writing and updating criticical system files.
PHP:

Hard drives are cheap now, it is the most likely cause but i would replace that noisy fan at the same time. It may not be working at all times.

Back
Top Bottom