I'm trying to find out what's wrong with my computer.

so ideally if you could post some more information after running some basic tests it may prove helpful towards resolving the issues

EDIT...oops first off... check tempature readings / using something such as hardware monitor and or realtemp

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

a. windows event logs (look for critical / errors ) especially disk related errors

b. open command prompt as administrator > type > chkdsk /f (it will ask if you want to run it on reboot choose yes)

c. (actually the order maybe wrong on this one...i might try this first) but download the .iso image of memtest (http://www.memtest.org/) burn the .iso to cd or install to thumbdrive

boot computer from cd (or thumbdrive) let test run at lest one full run ideally more

if you have memory errors either some memory settings are wrong in bios / head issue or (more like ram has failed).

d. find make of hard drive and download drive fittness test from manufacture check drive for fittness.

if you have some canned air try to blow out the vents... ideally you'd take the thing apart and clean it out and maybe even apply new thermal paste / reseat cooler..but being a lappy it will be a pain in the *** ...if you can find a service manual for it on line with tear down / reassembly instructions that would be good...if you felt daring enough to do it...

i've done this with numerous laptops and it is always a pain...and involves about 20+ little tiny screws (don't lose them or mix them up)...

Yeah.. I'm already looking at refurb desktops but I can't afford one anywhere near immediately so I'm going to have to pursue both avenues for now.

If you can get the service manual for it, consider disassembling it down to the level of taking out the cpu heatsink, video board (if separate), fan system, and access any specific vents. Take pictures, especially of connectors and parts, and note the order of disassembly and assembly.

You'll need compressed air, DeOxit D5 (yes, same stuff for audio), a pair of tweezers or small pointed hemostat/grasping tool, light oil in dropper form, lint free cloth, and a small amount of heat sink compound for computers (although I find regular silicone based zinc oxide works fine for CPU's). And appropriate sized philips screwdrivers and a small container/box for screws.

Once you have started the disassembly, start with the fan. Blow the thing out and pick out any and all dust out of it. You should be able to lift off the label which will reveal a small sleeve bearing - its usually dry by now and the source of noise assuming the fan blades spin freely and clear of anything. One drop of oil, spin with finger or air blast, wipe, then replace label sticker, use 2 small dots of double sided tape on either side if needed. Deoxit the fan connector and board connector, use sparingly and wipe off any residue. Insert and extract connector a couple of times.

Remove and clean out CPU heatsink of any dust/debris in the fins. Some may consider cleaning the CPU pins but I've not found that to be needed, but you might lift it out of the socket carefully, then reinsert and lock down.

IMO, I remove the old heat sink pad on both CPU and sink but if that makes you nervous, just add a small dot that covers about 30% of the cpu at the heatsink contact point, usually just a small area - when you snug it back down, it will spread thinly. Replace the heatsink and fan.

Same process for the video board and any fan there and its connectors.

Reassemble and then check the memory board area - pull the memory cards, deoxit, wipe, dexoit again and reinsert a couple of times, then wipe off any residue and reinsert finally. Same for the Hard Drive connector.

Lastly, do the DeOxit for the internal battery connections and the charger plug. All of the above will ensure that the electrical connections you can get to have been addressed. Be sure that all of the keyboard, on-off switch, etc. connectors are pressed down firmly and mated correctly during reassembly.

If you have done everything right, the unit should fire up like normal. If you can download a typical heat checking program, do so (or do it before you start this exercise) to check what the temps that you can check are, especially the HD and CPU.

If you still end up having problems, then I would look at replacing memory first, then the hard drive. Unless there have been documented failures of the main board, these are the most likely to create problems after poor connections and overheating.

Oh, and replace any missing feet under the main chassis to maximize airflow and don't use on anything other than a hard surface.

Atarione has given good advice on memory and hard drive testing and benchmarking to help diagnose those items. I also like using Spinrite from GRC.com to test and check the hard drive, but if your drive is testing poorly, it sometimes can help isolate those bad areas, but since HD's are fairly cheap and big, best to get a new one if needed.

The above maintenance I do on my 4-6 Dell 8600's that I support since 2004 and they're still running fine.

I have worked on a LOT of computers, and never ran in to a problem that contact cleaner could fix.

But any laptops that over 2-3 years old, need to have it's cooler cleaned, this requires the laptop to be disassembled.

The thing to do, is to find a way to replicate the error.
I'd start by getting HWmonitor:

And Prime95 (this is the 64 bit version):
http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=205

Run HWMonitor to see the system temps, then run Prime95 to heat up the CPU.
Do any temps exceed 85-90C?

If the system heats up over 80C super quickly, then STOP THE TEST.

Then get furmark:
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Run furmark and let the system heat up, same question, does any temperatures exceed 85-90C?

Again if the system heats up above 80C really fast, then stop the test.

Get HWInfo:
http://www.hwinfo.com/

Open it, go to Drives - (S)ATA/ATAPI Drives and select you HDD, scroll down to the 'Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology' data, does it show any errors?

Last edited:
Ditto on looking at your logs, try to resolve any errors there.
Look in your hardware list and see if anything is not functioning.
Check with the manufacturer for updated drivers , bios and firmware.

so ideally if you could post some more information after running some basic tests it may prove helpful towards resolving the issues

EDIT...oops first off... check tempature readings / using something such as hardware monitor and or realtemp

a. windows event logs (look for critical / errors ) especially disk related errors

b. open command prompt as administrator > type > chkdsk /f (it will ask if you want to run it on reboot choose yes)

c. (actually the order maybe wrong on this one...i might try this first) but download the .iso image of memtest (http://www.memtest.org/) burn the .iso to cd or install to thumbdrive

boot computer from cd (or thumbdrive) let test run at lest one full run ideally more

if you have memory errors either some memory settings are wrong in bios / head issue or (more like ram has failed).

d. find make of hard drive and download drive fittness test from manufacture check drive for fittness.

if you have some canned air try to blow out the vents... ideally you'd take the thing apart and clean it out and maybe even apply new thermal paste / reseat cooler..but being a lappy it will be a pain in the *** ...if you can find a service manual for it on line with tear down / reassembly instructions that would be good...if you felt daring enough to do it...

i've done this with numerous laptops and it is always a pain...and involves about 20+ little tiny screws (don't lose them or mix them up)...

Gonna echo some of these guys. Take it appart, clean it out, lube up the fan (from 2009, it's time!). The above reccomended disk and memory testers are great (just fixed a memory issue on my desktop with memtest). Windows 7 has a decent built in memory tester as well.

Like the others have said, there are basicly three parts to a laptop that can fail (and not be obvious, dead screen, broken conector ect would be east to find), hard drive, memory and motherboard (or the GPU but that is gennerally part of the motherboard on these). Find any and all logs and report back with test data for further troubleshooting.

If all else fails let me know, I have a slew of older (2007 and back) laptops. My current one is a 2007 model and still going strong.

if it were a GPU issue system restore wouldn't fix the problem, it sounds to me like it's ram or hard drive. The first test I would run is Memtest86 on the ram, see if it's a memory issue.

If that checks out fine then a hard drive SMART test with whatever you feel like using, I typically use the Dell Diagnostics for hard drive testing although I'm not sure if your system would run it, some non-dell do, some don't.

And about running Furmark, I would advise against using Furmark for anything besides burning up your GPU, while the temps may stay safe on the GPU core it's hell for the VRMs, which is why nVidia put a lock on the GTX580s and such to clock down when using Furmark rather than clock up.

Last edited:
yeah ... i don't like furmark either ...it isn't all that helpful as it puts a freakishly non real world load on the gpu /vrms ..

it is a good way to break otherwise not broken video cards basically.

i really wouldn't think running it on a lappy would be a good idea..

You said a system restore works for a few months...and then it byorks up again. That sounds like your OS is corrupted and use over time makes it really flaky (updates, installs, plug-ins for browsers).

I'd recommend a fresh install (there's programs to find out your Windows KEY even if you've lost your original install/recovery discs) and putting a proper backup program like Acronis True Image (about $25 on sales).

Even if it a hard drive issue...you can clone your OS with Acronis and put it on the new hard drive (or SSD).

And about running Furmark, I would advise against using Furmark for anything besides burning up your GPU, while the temps may stay safe on the GPU core it's hell for the VRMs, which is why nVidia put a lock on the GTX580s and such to clock down when using Furmark rather than clock up.

Furmark heats up the system that's for sure, and the load is very high compared to most real world situations.
But it doesn't heat the GPU more then say Oblivion, inside a tavern looking at a wall with nothing behind it, making the framerates really really high, or those infamous StarCraft II menus.

You have to cautious with this test, same as all burn in tests.

My W510 never got completely stable, before it could run furmark indefinitely (long story).
Now it even runs furmark and prime95 simultaneously, no throttling or anything.

But in this situation, I think the HDD is where to look first, memory is usually bad as it leaves the factory, they seldom go bad with age, unless they are right next to a terrible heat source.

The burn in tests can help determine if the cooler needs cleaning, or if the cooler is properly mounted after it has been removed, or if the cooling is just insufficient which seems to be a common problem.
As always, if a cooler has been removed, it needs fresh thermal compound.

Hay guise.

Got home from vacation and hadn't brought computer with me.

Well my computer made it easy.

It started up, installed some Windows updates, restarted and froze upon startup. I manually restarted and got this screen.

406012_262387220556431_302978322_n.jpg

Continued to my investigation by hitting F2 and running some system diagnostics...

Harddisk test.

184579_262387490556404_1140438905_n.jpg

Startup Test

27935_262387963889690_1086344766_n.jpg

Can I be pretty certain at this point that it's the harddrive? I'm planning on ordering one tomorrow. I say tomorrow because I'm waiting on some feedback from you guise.... Thanks!

Two friends in the business of this computer stuff (one builds servers, one has a degree in computer science) recommended this drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136856

I suppose what I really want to know is whether it's safe enough to rule out the mother board at this point?

You might want to double check compaq's warranty checker thing before doing anything else... I think based on when you bought the lappy it is out of warranty but might be worth double checking.

assuming it is indeed out of warr then yeah that HD should be good enough..

looks like there is going to be a caddy thing the drive is installed in

see

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01277210&lc=en&cc=fi&dlc=en&product=4217415

of course you are going to need either restore media (contact compaq and see about obtaining..if you don't have it...or locate restore discs) if you want to use the product key on bottom of machine as OEM keys won't work on retail media ...

or you need a new retail / OEM /technet ...whatever copy of win 7 (or 8 i guess if you are a glutton :D) and appropriate key for same if you want to do a clean install with your own win 7/8 disc.

you might..*** get lucky and be able to freeze the drive (in sealed bag) for a few hours then hook it up to a 2nd pc and hook up the replacement drive to that pc also and try to clone the existing drive to the new drive (assuming you can get it to come online at all) ...or alternately if you have files you want to recover from the old drive (google : hard drive freezer trick for more information).

you can download drivers from Compaq's website

I would also assume some type of hardware issue. Have you tried a complete reinstall instead of a recovery ?

This has been brought to my attention by some friends however I have to admit that the original disks (if it even came with any) would be long gone and I don't know how to make recovery disks...

This seems like the first step, unless you've tried it already. If your computer has a recovery partition, you can do a total re-format and recovery by holding the F11 key during startup.

Also, on your Start menu, under All Programs, there may be a Recovery Manager>Recovery Disc Creation option. This should at least allow you to rule out software as the problem, if nothing else.

Last edited:
I've been in contact with somebody from HP who confirmed that my computer never came with restore disks. They're having them shipped to me.

And yeah, my computer is out of warranty.

Back
Top Bottom