Image concept 200 !!

- The more power you have on tap, the less chance you are going to clip your amp and blow your speakers. That, everybody knows, who has a certain knowledge...
- I own the XPA-2 and it will deliver more than 500 watts per channel into 4 Ohms. I just luv it, so my speakers. :tresbon:

- I just shared with you in my prior post all there is to know about your speakers, what more do you need? The review from 'Stereophile' ain't avail online, so take my word for it. But AGI's review is avail online. Just Google, or if you cannot find any reviews, trust me on what I already told you.

- It is very simple: if your speakers are a true 4-Ohm load, then you look at the 4-Ohm rating of the amp that's all. Any yours are.

- Gotcha about the tweeters. NO, I don't know where you can get replacements. These are almost 25 years old! You'll have to do quite some research to locate older pairs, buy them, and get their tweeters out of them.
...Or you can perhaps get them rebuild if you're lucky enough to find the right guy (and that won't ripp you off, like that guy did to me before).
Some people are so bad and so out of touch with humanity that they will steal your soul for money! :eek:

Anyway, I hope you trust me as I don't have any financial gain to benefit from you by sharing my knowledge and experience. I'm the good guy. :yes:

API (not ABI). ;) ...And those tweeters are not the exact same, they are different. ...I know, I used to own the Mirage M-1si loudspeakers.

I mean ABI as in ABI Tech....the company that rebuilds the dual hyperdome... While not identical they are similar in constuction. It was supposedly the M1-1 that was similar not the M-1si

Last edited:
I mean ABI as in ABI Tech....the company that rebuilds the dual hyperdome... While not identical they are similar in constuction. It was supposedly the M1-1 that was similar not the M-1si

Oh I see* ...And good catch too about that different tweeter between the soft dome one (M-1) and the aluminum/metal one (M-1si).

* What's ABI stand for and where are they located? ...Audio Build International?

...Or you can perhaps get them rebuild if you're lucky enough to find the right guy (and that won't ripp you off, like that guy did to me before).
Some people are so bad and so out of touch with humanity that they will steal your soul for money!

can you share who or what company ripped you off so i can stay away...?

Last edited:
can you share who or what company ripped you off so i can stay away...?

Good question because when I posted this, I did try to remember that guy's name, but unfortunately...
What I know though is that he used to work on top of A&B Sound in Victoria, doing electronics repairs for A&B customers (and others too).
The store don't exist anymore, and that guy ain't there anymore either.
BUT, the name of that place was called: Hi-Tech electronics, and the first name of that guy was Fred, and his nickname was 'Wireman'.

Fred was just out of touch with the common mortal people. Repairing electronics for him (in particular when your stuff was not under warranty anymore), was his way to get money on the side by overcharging...
And the same was true with 'some' employees from A&B Sound.

I know a lot of people in this business, and many of them are not there to give you a deal, but to get a good deal themselves out of your own money!
...You know what I mean?...

* And thanks for that link just above.

just an update here...

i am still waiting for Chris Coote of ABI to get the materials he needs for the rebuild. i tried calling recently but his work number just keeps coming up as busy.

does anyone know if he is still around and able to do this type of work?

thanks.

I certainly hope so, I still have a spare pair of tweeters to send him someday. Did he say what materials he was waiting for?

i believe he was out of diaphragms but it has been quite some time now since i communicated with him.

what tweeters do you need repaired?

i believe he was out of diaphragms but it has been quite some time now since i communicated with him.

what tweeters do you need repaired?

Oh just a pair of 22 tweeters, I have two pairs of 22's and bought a 3rd pair non working tweeters very cheap, but these dead ones are cosmetically perfect while my 2 working pairs have little dings in the aluminum rings on the front.

They have the press for the diaphragms so I guess its just the material hes waiting for. Hope he gets some soon for you....have you shipped him your dead tweeters already ?

no i haven't.

i am waiting for him to have everything he needs in hand because i am going to ship 2 tweeters to him. one of which is currently in use but it is the original match to the one which is not working. i want to redo both as he had suggested a while ago.

if an amp can nearly double it's rated 8 ohm pwr into 4 ohm it is spec'd as hi- current ?
a true high current amp is going to run a 2 ohm load with no problems. I seriously doubt those speakers dip down to 2 ohms.
Any good amp that can handle a 4 ohm load will work just fine and would be all you need

Holy crap, I don't understand any of this. I bought my Image concept 200 speakers as floor models from an audio store in 1988. I powered them with a Luxman R115 and I used them in a gym I owned. Never even got to half volume(too loud). I think the amp was rated 70w/ch at 8ohms and 140w at 4ohms? But the amp has just died on me. I bought a cheap Sony str-dh130. Thinking the 90w/ch would be similar.

Last edited:
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I have a chance to get a minty pair of these with freshly rebuilt tweeters I would be running them with a sansui au9900 80wpc into 8ohm and 4ohm it says. Would this be enough amp or should I pass ?

Wow , yes old thread ! Funny I just saw a pair of those listed locally last week for $250 and I lusted , a bit , and then moved on . That Sui , should be fine but depends if you are trying to re-create Woodstock in your room . Anything past 12 o'clock on the volume dial is usually bad for sound and speakers IMHO

Back
Top Bottom