1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

IMF owners thread!

Discussion in 'British Audio' started by canuckaudiog, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Yvan_donald

Yvan_donald Well-Known Member

Hi,you should do the X-over, doesn't matter the stripping,get the best sound of them. Until now I have never see this badge for sale,but maybe you never knows,for me this badge is the nicest one.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. dogwan

dogwan Dogwan

If I can't find a pair it should be pretty easy to have a trophy shop make some repros for me. Does anyone want to give me the dimensions and take some hi-res photos at a perpendicular angle?

3. rogerfederer

rogerfederer AK Subscriber Subscriber

i am out of town but can take a look at my badges next week

4. IMF_Pioneer

IMF_Pioneer Active Member

Well I'm just embarking on totally refinishing a set of "Super Compact Mk II's" as the weather is perfect in Adelaide / Australia at the moment. Sadly one of the Elac 8/22 Bass drivers is blown (previous tenant's effort) and I feel that the only way to solve it will be to send it to Total recoil in Melbourne to rewind the voice coil. There is one on eBay at the moment but by the time I pay the sellers extortional price along with shipping it will just blow the project out of the water.

5. IMF_Pioneer

Have just ordered a full set of caps (including Polyesters) for both my RSPM Mk IV Improved and TLS-80 Mk II's. Hopefully I'll still get them by Christmas and then over the break the crossover boards will look similar to Member Petervv's boards, superb.

6. joehernandez

joehernandez New Member

Hi guys I just acquired a pair of imf “studio” speakers. I haven’t had a chance to listen to them yet but hopefully tonight I will. The only thing I noticed is a black electrical tape like surround around the mid is loose on one speaker and I noticed some bubbling on the woofer other than that they seem to be in real nice shape. These speakers /speaker company uses some of the same components that my Rogers studio one speakers have . I really enjoyed my Rogers speakers until they were accidentally damaged trying out some mono blocks that I had purchased so I am pretty sure Iam gonna like these hopefully ? 18410D1C-363F-4405-8548-E69BE5C9797F.jpeg 50C85A84-50DC-4643-8A92-A0768A844354.jpeg 36509F6B-736D-4A7D-A48E-703B105F6B3E.jpeg 7884684A-62C3-4AF5-9D4B-E237862D9AC7.jpeg

7. IMF_Pioneer

Hi joehernandez,

Could you please take and post up a much clearer photo of the ID sticker on the rear ?, also a full shot of the baffle board right to the bottom.

Also I feel that the midrange outer foam has failed over time and a previous tenant of these speakers has used electrical tape to hold the cone in place, as such they should sound rather restricted in the midrange department. This set is a perfect candidate for refoaming as these early examples are getting pretty few and far between.

Nice find and a good part of IMF History !

8. Yvan_donald

Hi, they are tls 50 MK 1, the bottom opening is probably the spiral Grey foam,as for the midrange it is the original surround use at the time (Emi).many of them have the surround badly install,but it is no problèm for the sound.It only look bad but OK. The woofer have the lose skin coating,but don't think it affect the sound.If the capacitors are originals,it will be better to use Falcon Acoustics kit (Uk) electrolytics capacitors or install some film capacitor specially for the small caps like .22uf and 2.2uf.Best regards Yvan.

9. joehernandez

joehernandez New Member

Thanks for the responses . I took a little listen and so far I like what I hear . Yeah the electrical tape surround looks like it was original and glue failed around edges a little or someone re did them and didn’t glue so great but they sound fine , woofers sound good and the black tweeters sound good to . On both speakers while cupping my hand over the white ( I think coles or Celestion tweeter) I didn’t hear them doing much but maybe I wasn’t playing into their range ? Any ways here some more pics and I will give more details once I can really let them sing setup correctly. 65AC8713-670D-457A-A958-CCED5BE170BF.jpeg 5554192B-498F-4613-B606-1674331BF042.jpeg E726EB87-0791-4C63-9D48-8E1B3BC37F13.jpeg AEDC9B59-C73C-46C1-83E8-012F3E1A0CB4.jpeg

10. Yvan_donald

Hi,behind the midranges, the 4" tube sometime is detach from the baffle or crack along the edge,you can have access from the woofer to the crossover and in the same time you can verify if midranges tube didn't move.The woofer can be stuck to the baffle because of caulking,cut with an exacto or utily knife before prying because some particule board will come glue to the back of woofer or maybe not , if ever you décidé to recap the crossover.Even the mids is Well caulk to the wood.

11. IMF_Pioneer

What you have there is not the original Studio, but rather the "Studio TLS-50 Mk I" which is a transition model that was between the "The Studio" and the "TLS-50". Eventually the name Studio disappeared and the model just became the TLS-50, after that the TLS-50 Mk II.

Cheers.

12. IMF_Pioneer

Hi All,

BTW What picture hosting site are most of the members here using as AK doesn't host its own images ?

Cheers.

13. IMF_Pioneer

My 2 Capacitor sets arrived two days ago from "The Master" at Falcon, thanks Jerry. Now I'll have something to do over Christmas without using machinery outside making noise, like brick saws etc. Hopefully I'll be hearing some "Beautiful Noise" to quote Neil Diamond.

"Merry Christmas to all the IMF Owners around the World !"

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  14. Nashou66

Nashou66 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I use Flickr . Has an app for your phone and easy as pie to use .

Athanasios

15. joehernandez

joehernandez New Member

Thanks for info guys , I listened to speakers a few times and thought they sounded good and had a cohesive sound and like has been said the bass was accurate . Unfortunately there is not much space around my house and nothing really stays long anyways so I put them up on Bay . I can see why they have a following .

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  16. AussieMike

AussieMike New Member

Hi all, about a week ago I decided to sell my early model IMF TLS 50’s. I sold them to a second hand HiFi dealer. Anyway was chatting after and the guy mentioned he had a pair of IMF TLS 80 mk11.I had a,ways wanted a pair of these so I think you can guess what happened.Took delivery of them today! Cabinets are in very good condition. I was warned when I bought them there was problem in that one speaker wasn’t working properly. Anyway got them home, right channel is fine, however left channel definitely has less out put. I suspect it’s either crossovers ( including attenuators at the terminal) or possible faulty mid range driver. Will try and swap the drivers from left to right but I will be recapping the x-overs too. Anything else I should check? Thanks will post some pics shortly.

17. IMF_Pioneer

Hi AussieMike,

Where in Australia are you located, Adelaide by any chance ?

Cheers.

18. IMF_Pioneer

For those watching the IMF thread.............................

As I mentioned a few posts ago regarding re-capping, I just finished my RSPM Mk IV's today and all is good as it should be.

Cheers.

19. AussieMike

AussieMike New Member

Hi there, in Melbourne.
    Cheers
    Mike

20. IMF_Pioneer

Seems to be the Australian city where most of the IMF's were sold, and predominantly through Encel Hi-Fi in Richmond which sadly are no longer in business.

Both my two large sets of References came from Melbourne 6 months apart from each other, thus two road trips.