IMF speakers "in the house" --- again: Supercompact II

Ohighway

Wannabe Minimalist
Subscriber
Just happened across a pair of IMF Supercompact II speakers local to me. Picked them up this morning from the original owner (who said he bought them in Norway) Had the original brochure with them.

Seem like pretty cool little speakers to me, though not without problems. The coated midrange surrounds have cracks so will have to be attended to before I use these. A quick audition would indicate everything is functional though. Serial numbers 56309LL and 56309LR.

Pretty excited as now I have some little siblings to go with my TLS-80 speakers.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF1433.jpg
    DSCF1433.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 537
  • DSCF1437.jpg
    DSCF1437.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 515
Last edited:
Ohighway:
If you find a source for the surrounds for the mids, I'd appreciate your posting it. I need to refoam them in the Supercompacts I got from Mark Hardy, but haven't gotten around to researching much. Mine need some TLC on the cabinets to look as good as yours -- they've faded and have some big dings.

KEF B200 woofers with the big magnets? Although I've never seen B200's with an inverted-roll surround. Can't place those tweeters, though. Are they Audax?

IMFs are great speakers, as you must already know from your TLS-80s. You've more-or-less got enough now for an all-IMF HT surround system (With TLS-80s, who needs a subwoofer, anyway? :D)... that would be sweet!

IMF's are great speakers. Good save. Kind of a strange gloss on the mid surrounds. Are they foam? Were they coated with something?

Ohighway:
If you find a source for the surrounds for the mids, I'd appreciate your posting it. I need to refoam them in the Supercompacts I got from Mark Hardy, but haven't gotten around to researching much. Mine need some TLC on the cabinets to look as good as yours -- they've faded and have some big dings.

Yeah, we'll have to figure that one out. Somebody has already been down this road.... do you speak french ? http://www.dcx2496.fr/imf.php

IMFs are great speakers, as you must already know from your TLS-80s. You've more-or-less got enough now for an all-IMF HT surround system (With TLS-80s, who needs a subwoofer, anyway? :D)... that would be sweet!

Funny you should mention.... spotted this while searching: "IMF's had a rather recessed midband (just about adjustable out on the big models - mid control up, top control down) and a rather fruity bass below 100Hz on pre mark 2 models. The Super Compact was designed to mimic this from the upper bass upwards, so they could be used as rear channel speakers with the 50's and above at the front. They ALL need a tightly controlled amp to hold the bass end in check, despite their benign impedance curve..."

Well I can't really do much with these until the midrange foams are replaced. It appears a sticky coating was applied to the cone and surround at the same time. Made some measurements and found some surrounds on ebay that appear to be the correct size for these speakers. So, they're ordered and ..... hopefully they'll be here in a few days.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_3674.jpg
    Copy of IMG_3674.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 222
Those cones look a mess. Unless that coating can be taken off, the mids are probably toast as they won't have anywhere near the frequency response characteristics that they should have, even with new surrounds. It may simply peel off if you're lucky.

Ohighway:

Yes. If you find a source for mid surrounds let us know. Mine need them too. I think they all need them. The ones on mine look real rough and grainy. Should have read the whole way through this. The photo is what mine look like.

KEF B200 woofers with the big magnets? Although I've never seen B200's with an inverted-roll surround. Can't place those tweeters, though. Are they Audax?

I had mine apart last winter. Heres the speaker markings that i found.

Woof-SP1014 plus KEF11 in a circle and D0177 8ohms with Small magnets

Mid-4EM/101 8ohms

tweet-HD72x8D 25 8-9ohms

Last edited:
Sealy -- that is how the cones are supposed to be. The coating damps resonances and may also be used to lower or adjust the resonant frequency, though with midranges that's probably not a major issue. I believe there is no way to remove it, and trying to do so would alter the driver's behavior significantly. I don't know how important it is that the surround be damped, but an undamped surround is better than no surround.
And its possible to get the surround off reasonably neatly without damaging the cone.
So I don't think your prognosis is correct -- certainly I hope its not since I need to replace mine.

Back
Top Bottom