IMF Super Compact Restoration

canuckaudiog

On a quest for high fidelity
Hey guys!

I finally got the parts in for my IMF Super Compacts very kindly donated to me by AKer wsissions (thank you again!).

This is what is necessary to restore these classics:

1) Replace Audax tweeters with Audax replacements
2) Refoam midrange drivers
3) Recap crossovers

I just got the tweeters replaced, and I have to say it made a dramatic improvement in the high frequencies. I put one tweeter in, and A/Bed it against the original, and it was night and day. So, if you have a set of IMF speakers that use the Audax tweeter (many do), it is imperative to replace these with new ones (available at falconacoustics.co.uk) to bring back their high frequency response. They sounded dull, now they sound rather lively just as they should.

Next up, the capacitors and the midrange drivers. I don't have the parts in for the mids but I do have the caps. The midrange foam is drying out but not completely dried, it is still intact so I am going to use it for now. The foams are on the way, only a matter of time. I just wanted to put up my impressions of the tweeter difference, and of course I will put up my impressions of before and after recap. I am just listening to them now with the replaced tweeters to give myself a frame of reference.

Can't wait for the comparison to the TLS-80's and the RSPM! ;)

Well, I don't have the 80's anymore, but I do remember how they sounded in comparison to the RSPM's.

So far I am really enjoying the speakers, very much the IMF sound. Think the TLS 50, but a bit smaller. The bass output out of these is incredible for their size. They would compete with floor standers no problem.

Anyway, now onto recapping them since I am fairly familiar with the sound.

OK the recap is complete!

It was fairly simple and straightforward. You remove the Kef B200 woofer, and you get easy access to the board. It is glued to the foam, so you will have to carefully pry it from the foam. However once it is free, there's enough slack for it to come out of the speaker and you can just replace the caps from there.

As for the sonics, impressions to come. :)

Oh and I'll get you guys some pictures. Let me clean up my mess here that I made lol.

Last edited:
OK - here they are in all their glory. Not in the best condition but, acceptable and, a perfect candidate for a restoration cosmetically. Of course they're perfect for a restoration sonically. :) All that is left is to refoam the mids and these are 100% back to factory spec.

dsc01323fk.jpg

Sweet! Those are nice looking speakers! Bet they sound great after there tune up! Nice stands also, got to make me some stands for my ar4x's and them Pioneer 101's i just got! I want to use steel pipe and fill with sand or lead shot.

Sweet! Those are nice looking speakers! Bet they sound great after there tune up! Nice stands also, got to make me some stands for my ar4x's and them Pioneer 101's i just got! I want to use steel pipe and fill with sand or lead shot.

Surprisingly, these speakers made the least amount of improvement over any other IMF speaker I've restored. But, it was still quite a difference - it was really the tweeter that made all the difference in this case.

The stands are indeed very nice, I can fill them with sand or lead shot if I wish. They are made with steel and have spikes on the bottom, they work fantastic.

The stands are indeed very nice, I can fill them with sand or lead shot if I wish. They are made with steel and have spikes on the bottom, they work fantastic.

I buy stuff from a local steel recycling center near me for 20 cents a pound , when the spring rush and on scrap steel starts i will have no problem getting steel to build stands. Not only steel ,you wouldn't believe what ppl scrap these days since the price of scrap has been so high! Ive got everything from tools to antiques to vintage tube and ss amplifiers there! Everything that can be found in ones house, barn, garage can be found there! I love it! !

Nice! You do run into these IMF's frequently. :thmbsp:

I'm not sure what it is. Dumb luck, or just being in the right place at the right time, or who knows what! What I like even more is that every set of IMF's I've picked up has a story behind it, it's been just a stroke of luck to find and obtain each set, these Super Compacts being no different. :)

Well the midrange foams came in today, so I will tackle that. Once that is done, then I will tell you guys what I think of them. :)

Wes, I'd be happy to. I was going to suggest that anyways. I can't say if it will make a difference for sure but at least the caps won't be on their last legs.

I noticed the same thing Zonk, boy those are WIDE!

What I want to know though is what is on the floor awaiting it's turn! :scratch2:

I love the size of them as well, they aren't your regular bookshelf size speaker! They don't sound like one either.

Those are Acoustic Research AR3a's. :)

I've been playing with those for the past week and a bit. Really nice speakers. I will be posting my impressions on those as well. :yes:

On another, more on topic note, the IMF Super Compact mids are now refoamed. Speaker restoration is complete!

OK guys you deserve some listening impressions!

I haven't spent a lot of time with them, however tonight I got a chance to really hear them.

First of all, the most impressive thing about these speakers is the bass! My goodness, they go low for their size and not only that the bass is very clean and uncolored. It's literally like a miniature version of the transmission line bass I am so used to. As for the rest of the speaker, it is like the other IMF's in the sense that it is neutral in character, very detailed, clear, and most of all emotional. These little IMF's are just incredible - I am so thankful to have them! They are going to provide me with just about the same level of enjoyment as the big beasts.

Couple things to note - these little speakers love power. It's not about using the power, it's about dynamics and transients. These speakers just absolutely open up and can play loud without breaking up when you pump them with clean power. Not only that, with a good amplifier the bass is tight and controlled and just sounds oh so sweet. Honestly, for the price these speakers go for plus restoration (about $500 total) you will be VERY hard pressed to find a better sounding speaker for that money! I am not kidding about that.

They are just overall magnificent and a joy to listen to. I just could not get over the bass that comes out of these little guys. I mean seriously, it was not thin in any way, very fruity and has a lot of body to it.

Back
Top Bottom