IMF Super Compact

beemerbob

just came upon a pair of IMF Super Compact speaker at local Goodwill..They dont have the orig woofer so i got a pair of B200 large mag hope they will work i know they take some type of B200,any way i also ordered alcaps from Falcon accustices in Briten by the way these speakers pretty darn good as they are,,,,i have never installed caps before and could use some advice and any thoughts would be welcomed TKS Bob B:music:

The IMF website probably has the specs and the version of B 200 that is correct. Might be worth getting the exact right one since they are nice speakers (and more to the point, are sought after when in nice condition).

They use the small magnet b 200 .....not sure of the sonic difference between the large and small magnet b 200?

that is what i thought i read big mag handles more power only

There could be other differences like in the size of the voice coil and the impedance between the two.

It's the Kef B200 SP1014 you want.

Try the large mag, and see how it sounds, but I would not be overly surprised if it sounds unbalanced. If the impedance is different, the crossover point will shift and this could cause it not to sound very good. I don't have any measurements in front of me so I can't say for sure.

If you have trouble finding a set of the correct b200 over the pond, I believe I have a set here in the UK sat on the shelf, fire me a private message if interested :)

Ah okay, I see. That looks like the same crossover so then you are likely right.

As for the value, it can definitely make a difference. That's 33% more than the original value, so, I would switch it back to 4uF.

Actually I'd just recap the whole thing. Those don't look like very good caps. I recommend falconacoustics.co.uk for their cap kits - simple, effective and not expensive. It's what I use in all of my IMF/british speaker restorations.

What is your point

Means he's watching the thread. I think :)

I can try to open mine up this weekend and get a photo up, as far as I know they are still original, but version 3 I think.

Where are you located? If in Seattle area I might be able to help you on on the b200 for at least a comparison.

Means he's watching the thread. I think :)

I can try to open mine up this weekend and get a photo up, as far as I know they are still original, but version 3 I think.

Where are you located? If in Seattle area I might be able to help you on on the b200 for at least a comparison.

I live in Vancouver WA i am using the big Mag B200 they seem to sound fine for now after i bring the caps up to proper specs they may need to be addressed Bob B:thmbsp:

Hi all

I was lucky enough to come across a pair of IMF super compact speakers that appeared to be untouched with original drivers. I ordered new audax tw025a0 tweeters and the capacitor replacement set for the crossovers. When I removed the crossovers (which were very well glued to the foam) it looked very different to the crossovers I am coming across on the net. I emailed falcon acoustics and they informed me that the crossovers are Radford fn8? Has anyone ever come across this happening with their IMFs ?
Would they be ok to use?

Or should i hunt for a set of original super compact crossover's. Anyone know of a pair by any chance?

Attachments

• ymail-tmp-357074448.jpg
    ymail-tmp-357074448.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 36
Hi Folks,

Bought a set of IMF super compact mk I in exelent cosmetic condition. I love them but there's just one problem I can't solve for now.
One midrange doesn't work. Changed the drivers. Still not working. Checked the internal wiring by sight. Everything seems normal.
Is this a capacitor problem? I know these can age, altering the signal but is it normal that no signal at all gets through?
I know There are capacitor sets available at Falcon Akoustics for the super compacts but does someone think it could be a different problem? I just think it's strange that one could have gone bad while the other is working fine.

Thanks a lot

Have you checked the wiring? There may be a wire loose. A completely shot cap might block all signal, and if the caps in the Super Compact are . like those in the TLS 50, they are those black ones that do go bad over time, so recapping might be indicated.

Thanks for the reply. I'm quite new to speaker repair and eager to learn.
I checked the wiring only visually, pulling wires from the driver to the filter. All seems to be connected. The wires going from the caps to the drivers have a soldered connection halfway. They have some sort of insulation I removed the insulation to check the connection.These are fine too. I have a multimeter. Should I check the black ones for infinity impedance?

Back
Top Bottom