IMF TLS-50MkII's - Time to operate!

Subtle Sonic Restoration

Well, like the others, I am waiting with baited breath to hear about your impressions...

Wow Canucker! Well this has been really enlightening for me! I wasn’t sure what to expect when I upgraded the caps, re-did the internal wiring and replaced some of the faulty drivers in one of my IMF TLS-50MkII cabs.

Yanno, we all chase improvements in our systems and sometimes we get results and sometimes not so much. Well I’m here to say, I’ve jumped on the “Re-Cap Bandwagon”!!! :thmbsp:

What I have found interesting, is we all love our vintage gear. But as many have said; “How do you know it is reproducing the sonic quality that was in the initial design if you’ve never really heard it?” And how do you know that sonic quality hasn’t changed over time? Well I guess you do what I did and find out!

Now with that said, I want to caution readers that the changes I have experienced are very, very subtle, but they are very, very real!!! And some may argue; “Well yeah, but is it the caps, the re-wire or the new drivers?” And I guess I can understand that criticism, but I think I can also give you some thoughts on what might be improving what! Read on dear Karma-ite!

The subtle changes I have experienced in my speakers are like a veil being lifted from in front of them. There’s a clarity and definition that have been brought to the forefront. This can be a little disconcerting at first because there is a “sharpness” that comes with this “detail”. You can now almost hear the frequencies being directed to the right driver and there is a sense of “driver separation”.

This sharpness and sense of “frequency definition” I believe will mellow and meld a bit as the caps burn in and the drivers get flexed, but the clarity and detail are what are impressive. Really, really impressive!!! Again this is all very subtle, but it is most assuredly there.

Listening to the older cabinet, there is a “warmth” that seems on the surface to be pleasant, but you can tell that it is almost “muffled” if not “veiled”. I wouldn’t go so far as to say the frequencies are “muddy”, but they don’t seem as defined as in the modified cabinet.

What all of this seems to indicate to me is that the upgraded IMF cab is now representing the type of “accuracy” and detail that the designers created in the first place. What it also tells me, is if I thought I was listening to “accurate” speakers before the mods, I most assuredly am now! And this is the point I’m getting to. If you think your 30 year old caps are playing just fine in those speakers or that receiver you oh so love; you may be sorely mistaken! :yes:

Now on to the other mods I made, and why I think I can sense what is improving what! I have noticed a definite improvement in the punch and dynamics of the modified cabinet. The Mids and Bass seem to have much better dynamics. This I attribute to the improved current flow from the re-wire. Now I know some will deny that this is the case, but I myself am of the opinion that (to a certain extent) a fire hose beats a garden hose!

The wiring in these was a really light 22ga aluminum conductor. I installed copper 16ga which is not only larger, it is a better conductor and I believe provides a certain level of “current overhead”. Less loss, less impedance, better performance. Call me crazy, but it’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it!

Now the drivers have provided their own subtle detail! The Monacor Mid-Bass is a truly well designed replacement. There is now a much nicer punch in the low mid-bass where it melds in with the B200. It has a smoother, faster tonal quality to it compared to the MTX that someone thought would work. Not sure if it is the difference in the impedance (8ohm Monacor compared to the 4ohm MTX) or all of the other parameters that we have discussed. But the Monacor just sounds right!

The "remanufactured" Coles has a beefier magnet assembly and just seems to drive the HF so smoothly and freely. To be fair, the original Coles may be compromised to an extent. So to my point, why not put in place a driver that is design as a direct replacment but utilizes all of the technical know-how that has been developed through the intervening years? :scratch2:

So those are my thoughts; re-capping is something everyone with 30 year old vintage gear should consider! You will experience so much better clarity, detail and separation from your speakers. It’s not an in your face type of improvement (unless your caps are totally shot), but it is a definite sonic improvement. Keep in mind that rewiring your speakers can provide improved punch and depth. And if you are replacing drivers, make sure you get a speaker that has been designed with your application in mind. Read and understand those Thiele-Short Parameters!!!

And finally, don’t be afraid to jump in, this project was fun and now I know what is actually going on in my IMF’s!!! I’m really looking forward to doing the other cabinet now!!! So have fun out there, because in the end, that’s what this hobby is all about! :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Good write-up :yes:

I am not at all surprised that you found a difference. Wait until you do the other one and sit back and listen to it in stereo. You will really be amazed then. :)

At least now you can definitively say all the time and effort you've put in is paying off. Glad to hear things are working out positively for you after all the trouble you've been through.

At least now you can definitively say all the time and effort you've put in is paying off. Glad to hear things are working out positively for you after all the trouble you've been through.

You got that! I've been demoing these in Stereo with no other support. I've been listening to them "up close and personal" in a "near field" setting.

Now, I'm listening to them with the rest of my system in "Enhanced Stereo" and PLII-Music and man are they even MORE melded to the KEF's on that one side. I think you're right, when I get them both done, that will be a real treat!!!

I'm listening to a "Classical Guitar" channel I put together on Pandora and man, the strings!!! Oh those glorious strings!!! :music:

EDIT: Peppino D'agostino "Running Wild" at -6db.... WOW is all I can say! ;)

Last edited:
And these are just your surround speakers, eh? :scratch2:

Nice system to have TLS50's as supporting players. :thmbsp:

And these are just your surround speakers, eh? :scratch2:

Nice system to have TLS50's as supporting players. :thmbsp:

KEF R107's as mains and TLS50's on the sides... all I can say is that is synergy made in heaven! :yes:

Good to hear you can really hear a difference and that this difference is positive ! You've had a lot of bad luck with these, but the upside is indeed that you know your speakers well ! There's a bit of you in there now :)

I've got my first elac mid refoamed and the other one will have the glue dried tommorow. So I will be joining the imf experience any day now...

Pity we can't get them all in a room together and hear the different characteristics..

What amp will you be driving them with Simplysound ?

Good to hear you can really hear a difference and that this difference is positive! You've had a lot of bad luck with these, but the upside is indeed that you know your speakers well ! There's a bit of you in there now :)

I've got my first elac mid refoamed and the other one will have the glue dried tommorow. So I will be joining the imf experience any day now...

Good for you Tone!!! I think you will be really impressed when you get yours put back together. Canucker and Caps are all over this! They really do wake up once they've been re-capped!

I'm driving my system with McCormack Amps. I have a DNA-1.0 driving the Big KEF's and a 0.5 driving the IMF's. I'm a big fan of Steve's DNA Topology and I've found the "reviews" of them being musical and having a nice rich mid-tone to be true.

I have also run Belles Designs. They were even warmer but not as open. Those were first Gen's so not sure how David's designs have evolved with the Reference 150's and such. Would love to try one some day!

Boy, amps, we could get real deep into that! :thmbsp:

I've got the choice here between a sansui 5050 and an au 317. At the very least the 317 should be able to drive them. First I'm going to give them some time to get to know their sound. Then I'll recap one to see how much of a difference it will make... I'm hoping everything goes well with the refoam. I'll post pictures once I'm done with them. :)

I've got the choice here between a sansui 5050 and an au 317. At the very least the 317 should be able to drive them. First I'm going to give them some time to get to know their sound. Then I'll recap one to see how much of a difference it will make... I'm hoping everything goes well with the refoam. I'll post pictures once I'm done with them. :)

Multiple people said that IMF's really love power. I think the 50wpc from 317 will be fine to start, but I think they have the potential to sound even better with more juice.

That being said, I was running them off a Sansui Eight Deluxe (60wpc I think), and it sounded great.

Have fun and let us know what you think!

Well the procedure was so successful, the evil twin wants the same reconstructive surgery. So on with the show!

This cabinet has some veneer damage around the mid. I'll see if I can touch that up some.

The Big KEF is there and measures 6.9ohms so it's fine! Anyone know how to decifer the Date Code?

Got the requisite MTX Mid!!! And the Audax read 6.9ohms, so that's in the neighborhood, but I think it is a little higher than the replacements at 5.8ohms. The Coles is 44ohms, so I think that may be a bit suspect as well.

It's interesting how a speaker can be playing with increased impedance (DC Resistance), but obviously isn't playing well! I'm starting to get the hang of this speaker thang!

IMG_8351.JPG
IMG_8355.JPG

IMG_8354.JPG

Now let's see, cross-over is also flopping around in here. It looks like a resistor was replaced (blue poly)... and the Mid-Tube is also showing similar damage.

IMG_8352.JPG
IMG_8358.JPG
IMG_8356.JPG

Well, I got this down now! Amazing how quickly I got these torn apart! On with the surgery! :thmbsp:

These speakers were indeed repaired at some point.

I think the higher impedance on the one Audax is due to the little cone on there, I've been told it can dry out over time on those tweeters which can lower the impedance. Could be a result of that. Either way though try them out and see what you think.

The Coles being 44 ohms is odd.. must be on its way out then.

Everything else is looking good.. that x-over was definitely repaired. Something blew up inside, which doesn't surprise me as it happened to me on my IMF TLS 80 II's that I picked up. Two caps went poof. Anyway, looking forward to the end result on this one!

captouch, Doug indicated to me he is pursuing another set of Kef 107's.. yeah, ANOTHER set. Like he needs two!! lol ;) So it looks like this project is on hold.

Of course, I am awaiting and anticipating the results of this project. :)

captouch, Doug indicated to me he is pursuing another set of Kef 107's.. yeah, ANOTHER set. Like he needs two!! lol ;) So it looks like this project is on hold.

Of course, I am awaiting and anticipating the results of this project. :)

I started on the Selector Board the other night. I just haven't been able to get time to do much more. I have been enjoying the "repaired" cab and it is settling in nicely. It sounds a little smoother now and not as "sharp". I guess the caps burning in and the speakers loosening up! :yes:

As for the second pair of R107's... I'm suppose to pick them up on Sunday. Like I said to Jeff, until they are in my hands, I don't have them yet! You know how that goes. :smoke:

As to what I'm going to do with them... I'll leave that for the post I put up when I get them. Good plans, good plans indeed! :thmbsp:

Anyone know how to decifer the Date Code (for the KEF's)?

I think I have it, the first letter is for the Month, but not the actual Month... because M could be "May" or "March"... My first unit was G2078 and this one is M2377... I believe "G" is July and "M" is December. So it would be Dec 23, 1977 and July 20, 1978.... That make sense?

Seems pretty far apart, but I guess they could have stock hanging around for 6 months. :scratch2:

Well this is interesting...

I'm sitting here listening to my system in "2 Channel Mode" through the rebuilt IMF on one channel and a DCM TF700 on the other. I'm using the DCM while the other IMF is being rebuilt. So how's it sound you might ask? :scratch2:

Well I now think I have a good appreciation for an "accurate" speaker compared to a more "musical" speaker. I'm playing the Harry Manx station on Pandora which is a bunch of Delta Acoustic Blues.... Keb Mo, Eric Bib, Guy Davis... that kind of stuff. Yanno, music to really assess vocals and the acoustic dynamics of a guitar.

I really like the sound of the DCM's... they are smooth, coherent and very relaxing to listen to. I've had them for a long time, so I know they image like banshee's!!!

The IMF though is really something else. Both are TL's but the IMF carriers the Bass lower with more authority and detail. There is a mid-bass punch (from the Monacor?) that the DCM's just can't match. The mid-range is more open and transparent.

Now the high-end of the IMF is maybe a bit "sharper" than the DCM's. That detail is nice for hearing the details and inflexions in the human voice, but I could see how some might find it "fatiguing" after a while.

I don't mind it much and what is really interesting is because I usually run the IMF's as surround support for the KEF 107's the high end seems to be better balanced in that role. And of course in PLII Processed Mode, the IMF's basically "disappear" into the tapestry that the "Wall of KEF" creates.

But it is interesting to compare these two speakers and if I was looking for a pair of mains, I think the DCM's might actually work a little better. Then again, if that was the case, I would probably consider the KEF 104/2. Now that would be an interesting comparison! The KEF 104/2 and a pair of TF700/1000's! :thmbsp:

EDIT: Where I'm really appreciating the IMF is on a "live" track, there's an "aireness" to the IMF presentation that seems a little more realistic! :yes: I'm listening to Clapton's One More Car, One More Rider Live Album, the "Keys to the Highway" track! Sweet!!!

Last edited:
Mano y Mano!

Well you knew it would get to this! :yes: The repaired IMF vs. the Big KEF!

So I sat down to listen to the IMF on one side of the room compared to the Big Kef on the other. A good old fashion 2-Channel Shoot-out! :banana:

And I have to say, the IMF has no shame in this match up. It has the clarity and mid-range punch to go one-on-one with the B110/T33 Combo. In fact the fresh caps and a brand new Coles give it some detail in the higher frequencies that the T33 can't really match.

I'm not so sure I'll go so far as to knock the T33 quite yet, because I think it probably would benefit from some fresh Ferro-fluid and a recap as well! But the fact that the IMF is slugging it out in the Mid to Upper Frequencies is saying something.

Now where the Big KEF excels is in two area's! First it has an effortlessness and openess that the IMF can't touch. That Coupled-Cavity Cab is a true wonder of Engineering, no doubt! :thmbsp:

Also the IMF has a bit of a cabinet ring to it in the lower Bass that the KEF has no hint of. The IMF sounds just a bit constrained down low. I'm sure the TLS80's and the RSPM's resolve some of this, but still, I think the KEF would maintain that effortlessness that is really tough to touch.

So bottom-line, I think these two speakers work really well together the way I have them setup and I think I am now more convinced than ever that there is work to be done on the KEF's!!! ;)

Last edited:
Hey Doug,

Good write-ups! I enjoyed reading them. It's nice to read someone else's opinion once in a while.

I'm not surprised by most of what you heard. I find the IMF's to be a very unbiased speaker in general. They have little to no coloration and they aren't laid back or forward. Somewhere in the middle. The highs being sharp could the caps breaking in, or it could be room acoustics, or maybe it's just a strong sounding tweeter. The only ones I've heard with those specific tweeters were my own set of IMF TLS 50 II's, but I think those tweeters were worn out, because they weren't as brilliant sounding as my TLS 80's and RSPM's, they were a bit soft in that regard. My Super Compact's with the replaced Audax tweeters are definitely a decent amount brighter (not in a bad way), but being new it's probably a much better design so it could be I am just hearing a modern tweeter vs. an old. I will be acquiring another set of IMF Super Compacts which will have the same Audax tweeters you're working with so I can do an A/B. I'll letcha know what I discover.

As for the comparison between the Kef and the IMF, I'm really surprised it's able to keep up. If you think about what these speakers cost in their day, the IMF TLS 50 II as I recall was around $1000-$1500 new in and around 1977, depending on where you bought it, and the Kef 107 was I believe $6500 (not sure what year they came out). So, the fact it can keep up is really impressive. The two are in completely different categories, but they work well together. That's a good find then and I'm glad to hear you're enjoying them :thmbsp: They are definitely nice speakers. I can't wait to hear what it's like when you've got both of them going. It should be interesting to do a two channel shoot-out using both complete sets!

Back
Top Bottom