Impress yourself, or your friends?

Man is this an old post... I gues where I was coming from when I wrote this was I tend to notice some people have some of the super cleanest most beautiful looking pieces you've ever seen, but after listening so some of those systems that seemed to be mostly about looks, I found them not to sound near as good as I've seen from some butt ugly ratted out geat....

Man is this an old post... I gues where I was coming from when I wrote this was I tend to notice some people have some of the super cleanest most beautiful looking pieces you've ever seen, but after listening so some of those systems that seemed to be mostly about looks, I found them not to sound near as good as I've seen from some butt ugly ratted out gear....

Hmmm..:scratch2:...that's what people say when they see my speakers.
:D

myself of course. i don't care what anyone else thinks. what's the point of spending time and money to show-off? sounds like insecurity issues and need for social acceptance to me.

Me and Me only. I know "what" I like, whether it's my audio system, or the car I drive. Said civily,, I don't give a gnat's cute little left ear if anyone else likes it :)

Us, that is Florence and me because we both love classical music. Since it sits out in the open and since I have the ability I refinish, reveneer, even make the cases there is no reason why they should not be easy on the eyes as well as the ears.

Family room: Yamaha CR-2020 (in Cherry) and Polk Monitor 7Bs

Bedroom: Yamaha CR-2040 (in Rosewood) and Yamaha NS-670s (in Cherry)

Workshop: Yamaha CR-800 (in Red Maple vinyl) Polk Monitor 10Bs (in red Maple to match)

Playroom: Yamaha CR-3020 (in original Macassar Ebony) Yamaha NS-690s (original)

Except for the Family Room all systems have cassette and CDP and TT, Playroom has three reel-to-reels in addition. Family room has HDTV and DVD player.

Last edited:
OMG......
My brother.....
Have you seen Wilson?

I've been totally lost without him since he took the "big swim", back in the day.
Oh jeez.......
What to do?......

WILSON!!!!!!
:)

I'm still hanging in there <VEG>
My equipment pleases me mostly. Wifemate has tin ears and happily listens to my little Maximus speakers as well as the Celestions or Wharfies.

Harvey Wilson

OK, I don't know how this poll thread works, but I have this question...

Only two answers are worthwhile...

Did you build your system to impress yourself with the sound, or your friends...
My system's purpose is to play music as accurately as possible for the my money that I can afford - for me. I could care less what others opinions are, if negative. However, if I receive positive feedback that is always nice. Most importantly is the music and accurate reproduction thereof. In the end, as along as I'm happy that's all that matters.

It is impossible to "keep up with jones". Some systems I've seen here are way, way, way out of my league 4$$$$$+ figures. They are totally awesome and I really appreciate them. However, this does not make me like mine any less.

So there is your answer. My system is for me. If other people like it, great. If not, too bad for them.

I built it for my style of sound, And looks pleasing to the eye, Which was kind of a by product of what was purchased. Not a lot of outside people coming around, SF Bayarea and me have issues, Family members, Inlaws, Enjoy it when there around. Again, I keep that to a minimum, If possible. Usually it's me and the music. I keep it that way.

Most folks I know are either happy with a $50 CD player, or their iPhone (or their older vets and can't hear shit).

My system is for me. It doesn't look impressive at all. I try and get the best sounding gear I can, for as little cash as possible, so most of it is "vintage" and all from different manufacturers.

Neither, I like having what I've chosen to play the music I like. What's impressive is the engineering and love behind some of these components.

I built my system for me, me, me. Sound quality first, but I also do need to be able to smile when I look at the system. Believe me, I do smile! :D
Tom
I hear you, I rub my speakers sometimes and just cannot believe They are mine to listen too anytime I want.
I find myself felling sorry for people who just don't get it, but they probably feel sorry for the idiot with all the coffin size speakers that never leaves his house.

My greatest feeling was the day my most vocal opponent ,of my HIFI love, called her dad to ask if I had an extra stereo she could borrow.
Of course I told her NO, I have one I will give you, she's 35 years old.
She had to admit , every time she went to the back of the house and heard my grandsons pioneer system I gave to him , she just had to stand there and listen to how good it sounded.
All my grown kids don't get it, I was not collecting when they were young and my wife was alive, Now I am raising two grand kids 14 and 15 since birth, they get it !
My house is wall to wall gear of one type "Vintage", Altec , JBL, Klipsch, Mcintosh, Kenwood, and lot's more, so we have great gear to reproduce great music in our house.
So I guess for us it great stereo's for us and we don't worry about what others are missing out on.

In retrospect, I've gotten older, and our children are all now adults (41, 36, 32, and 20).

I've witnessed the transformation of irresponsible children turning into mature, resonsible, and thoughtful, productive adults.

I'm sure it was my constantly evolving sound systems! ;)

Fran

Back
Top Bottom