Improve my system? Integrated amp recs

Mark Dinh

Apologies in advance if I should have put this in "New System - Value" but I think I'm starting to get into the "performance" range.

This one might be a bit of an odd scenario: I've always leaned on the side of "non audiophile" what's the best bang for the buck, digital streamer music enthusiast. So I had a Sonos Connect, NAD D3020, B&W bookshelf speakers setup streaming from Spotify and playing V0 mp3 rips from my cd collection.

My audiophile neighbor (bless his heart) passed away and his wife frankly did not have a need for a complex audio rig. I helped her downsize and then after much deliberations inherited her husband's pretty awesome but huge setup: Thiel CS2.3 towers, Arcam Alpha 9 preamp, Adcom GFA-454 II amplifier, NAD CD player and tuner, B&O record player. I popped in one of my cds and was frankly blown away by the sound. I heard things I never heard before on my former setup and it was overall just so much more enjoyable and pleasing. However, I wasn't a fan of the "rig" and connected my Sonos/Spotify to the preamp. Blah... So, I bought a Bluesound Node 2 and signed up for Tidal Hi-Res and reripped (ugh, took forever) all of my cds again to FLAC. Much better...

So I've been running with that setup for a while, but frankly I'm not a fan of the amount of space this system takes up in my living room. I don't have a need to play CDs, vinyl or listen to radio anymore so put aside those units in storage. I still have the Arcam preamp and Adcom amp connected to my Bluesound Node 2.

So, looking for recommendations on upgrades. Desires: smaller/cleaner footprint if possible. Can't do: go backwards in sound quality.

Must keep:
- Thiel 2.3 speakers. I feel this is the whole reason I abandoned my previous setup and embarked on this wormhole of a project :)

Would like to keep using, but will sacrifice if there's better:
- Bluesound Node 2
- Tidal Hi-Res music service

What I'd like to replace:
- Arcam preamp
- Adcom amp

What I've been considering for replacement:
- Sonos Amp (new version. Pros: love the size. Cons: I think this will be a drop in SQ, doesn't support MQA from Tidal)
- Vintage-y McIntosh or ??? integrated receiver from years ago. Pros: likely same or better SQ; good bang for the buck, Cons: May not have DAC and must continue to use Bluesound Node 2 DAC; not sure about buying used.
- Peachtree Nova300. Pros: Powerful, quality sound; modern. Cons: Class D amp?

What I don't need:
- Home theater support. This will just be for active listening / stereo setup
- Lots of source inputs (e.g., CD player, vinyl, bluetooth, airplay)

Thoughts?

Would love a cleaner, smaller setup but ultimately don't want to go backwards in SQ. Willing to spend $2-$3k if 1) gets me better sound and 2) Is a component/system I feel will last for a while and could be built upon. Currently eying the Peachtree unit now but wondering if Class D is the way to go. Also, is going with integrated and trying to get amp, pre-amp and possible DAC in one unit a "neither fish nor fowl" scenario.

Also is it crazy to build around the Thiel CS2.3? If I'm just gonna continue playing FLAC and Tidal Hi-Res and not go to vinyl for source, should I just stop right there?

Thanks in advance from a noob.

Last edited:
I believe your speakers are somewhat difficult to drive. (I could be wrong though. My off the cuff suggestions are based on that thinking.) Hopefully, others will correct my thinking if needed.

I suggest you look at the Parasound Halo Integrated. Call them and see what they have to say about pairing with the Thiels. It has a lot of things you are not interested in but at its heart is a solid performer, from what I read. It will not be outgrown very easily.

Or, if you want to think away from an integrated, maybe the Shiit Vidar (go fo a pair?) and one of their pre amps and DACs as your budget allows.

Talk to the people at Schiit and see if they think the Vidar is the way to go. If you can get by with one Vidar, consider that with a Mytek Brooklyn DAC/ Preamp.

Keep in mind, the DAC in the Bluesound is a pretty good one.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I second the recommendation for the Parasound Halo Hint P-6 integrated. Very versatile and with around 200 watts/channel into 4 ohms, it should be able to drive your Thiels just fine.

I assume you meant that your power amp is an Adcom GFA-545 II, not 454? If it is serving the Thiels well, maybe keep it, for now at least, and replace your preamp. I went in a minimalist direction and got one of these: http://www.promitheusaudio.com/tvc.htm

Here is the rationale that led me to try it: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/high-end-separates.666925/page-7#post-9068389

Re-reading the thread title, no, this is not an integrated amp. But it is my endgame preamp. I'd bet you would be very surprised at the difference it would make. If this is a thread-crap, I apologize.

I believe your speakers are somewhat difficult to drive.

You are indeed correct. 4 ohm (nominal impedance) with a low point of 3 ohms, and 87dB sensitivity--so they are going to want some "juice" to play effectively.

Sonos Amp (new version...

I can't even fathom how the names Thiel and Sonos "amplifier???" ended up in the same post. A world-class, well-recognized, upper-end (not super-high-end) speaker manufacturer, and a cheap Malaysian-built amp marketed by the pallet to HT installers for use in every new-build "McMansion" in the 'burbs where the developer has included a "theater room" and/or "whole house" entertainment system.

Specifications:

Thiel--every detailed spec you could ask for and more--and more available upon request--just call and ask.

Sonos--it's small and cute and connects to everything, oh yeah, and it's got 125 watts @ 8 ohms (whatever those are?)--and did we mention that it's small AND cute? All 4.6lbs of "bone-crushing" power and connectivity.

Buy one and try it--keep the receipt. Amazon and Crutchfield both have generous return policies, or you could pick one up locally at one of their dealers--Best Buy and Target are on the list, and soon to be available at your local Apple Store, as well.

Apologies in advance if I should have put this in "New System - Value" but I think I'm starting to get into the "performance" range.

This one might be a bit of an odd scenario: I've always leaned on the side of "non audiophile" what's the best bang for the buck, digital streamer music enthusiast. So I had a Sonos Connect, NAD D3020, B&W bookshelf speakers setup streaming from Spotify and playing V0 mp3 rips from my cd collection.

My audiophile neighbor (bless his heart) passed away and his wife frankly did not have a need for a complex audio rig. I helped her downsize and then after much deliberations inherited her husband's pretty awesome but huge setup: Thiel CS2.3 towers, Arcam Alpha 9 preamp, Adcom GFA-454 II amplifier, NAD CD player and tuner, B&O record player. I popped in one of my cds and was frankly blown away by the sound. I heard things I never heard before on my former setup and it was overall just so much more enjoyable and pleasing. However, I wasn't a fan of the "rig" and connected my Sonos/Spotify to the preamp. Blah... So, I bought a Bluesound Node 2 and signed up for Tidal Hi-Res and reripped (ugh, took forever) all of my cds again to FLAC. Much better...

So I've been running with that setup for a while, but frankly I'm not a fan of the amount of space this system takes up in my living room. I don't have a need to play CDs, vinyl or listen to radio anymore so put aside those units in storage. I still have the Arcam preamp and Adcom amp connected to my Bluesound Node 2.

So, looking for recommendations on upgrades. Desires: smaller/cleaner footprint if possible. Can't do: go backwards in sound quality.

Must keep:
- Thiel 2.3 speakers. I feel this is the whole reason I abandoned my previous setup and embarked on this wormhole of a project :)

Would like to keep using, but will sacrifice if there's better:
- Bluesound Node 2
- Tidal Hi-Res music service

What I'd like to replace:
- Arcam preamp
- Adcom amp

What I've been considering for replacement:
- Sonos Amp (new version. Pros: love the size. Cons: I think this will be a drop in SQ, doesn't support MQA from Tidal)
- Vintage-y McIntosh or ??? integrated receiver from years ago. Pros: likely same or better SQ; good bang for the buck, Cons: May not have DAC and must continue to use Bluesound Node 2 DAC; not sure about buying used.
- Peachtree Nova300. Pros: Powerful, quality sound; modern. Cons: Class D amp?

What I don't need:
- Home theater support. This will just be for active listening / stereo setup
- Lots of source inputs (e.g., CD player, vinyl, bluetooth, airplay)

Thoughts?

Would love a cleaner, smaller setup but ultimately don't want to go backwards in SQ. Willing to spend $2-$3k if 1) gets me better sound and 2) Is a component/system I feel will last for a while and could be built upon. Currently eying the Peachtree unit now but wondering if Class D is the way to go. Also, is going with integrated and trying to get amp, pre-amp and possible DAC in one unit a "neither fish nor fowl" scenario.

Also is it crazy to build around the Thiel CS2.3? If I'm just gonna continue playing FLAC and Tidal Hi-Res and not go to vinyl for source, should I just stop right there?

Thanks in advance from a noob.

You already have a great DAC/pre-amp in the Node 2, so unless you have more than one additional analog input device (turntable/phono amp?), you can use that Node 2's analog outputs directly to a power amp. It has the multiple digital inputs by virtue of its wireless connection, Ethernet, and Toslink optical.

I had used a Bluesound Powernode 2 for about 8 months and liked it. When the NAD Masters M10 was announced, I ditched plans to get an NAD C658 pre-amp/DAC and got an M10. I am so happy I did! The M10 does everything I want, has every input and output I want, and its 100w/ch is grossly underrated. It would land right in the center of your budget, and you could sell the Node 2 and other components to help cut the total expenditure. I'm lucky to have a dealer who would let me demo the M10 without so much as a look at my credit card, but I bought it on the spot after using it in their place for 15 minutes.

Attachments

• TT_reinstalled.JPG
    TT_reinstalled.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom