Improving Ipod quality

That looks funny, the etmotic is as large as an ipod shuffle. If you want a nice project and can solder/use a dvm, go to Headwize http://headwize.com/ubb/forums.php and make a solid state or tube headphone amp. Cost anywhere from 50-200 dollars and are powered from 9volt to wall power.

If you don't need wireless, you can just plug the iPod into the receiver with a 1/8" stereo to rca cable, or a docking station with rca outputs.

I was looking for better quality, just... because

I can hook it up! Im blind but I can feel my way:D

Do you own an Xbox 360 or PS3? You can try hooking it up from the usb docking port to the console, then use the outputs to the receiver. The DAC in the console could be decent.

A: Use lossless compression (change your ITUNES default and rip your CD's to Apple Lossless.
B: Use the Line Out via a dock or line-out cable (~$20)

You'll find the IPOD had a rather low line-out signal so you will have to up the volume on your receiver, but it out to rival or beat your run-of-the-mill CD player.

From: http://www.stereophile.com/mediaservers/934/index5.html

(Note the IPOD now supports ALAC, which is what you want to use)

"The iPod's measured behavior is better than many CD players—ironic, considering that most of the time it will be used to play MP3 and AAC files, which will not immediately benefit from such good performance. But if you're willing to trade off maximum playing time against the ability to play uncompressed AIFF or WAV files, the iPod will do an excellent job of decoding them. Excellent, cost-effective audio engineering from an unexpected source.—John Atkinson

Article Continues: Letters, December"

drk, I did not know about apple lossless., how large are the songs as compared to a 3meg mp3 at 128. I had many ipods( now my kids and wife have them) but went back to my Sony Mini to use ATRAC lossless.

You may want to try "Exact Audio Copy". I saw this in Wired magazine and they highly rated it.
Snow, snow, snow and more snow!

drk, I did not know about apple lossless., how large are the songs as compared to a 3meg mp3 at 128. I had many ipods( now my kids and wife have them) but went back to my Sony Mini to use ATRAC lossless.

2:11 track length:

Wav - 22mb
Apple Lossless - 6.5mb
256kbps AAC - 3.8mb
128kbps MP3 - 2mb

AAC sounds really good too

If you're listening to 128Kb MP3's - well, ouch.

You can use EAC and rip to ALAC, then import them into Itunes, using error checking in ITUNES is fairly good though. As to size,
"The Girl from Ipanema" from Getz / Gilberto is about 16.3 megs in ALAC.

No I do not listen to 128, that was one of the reasons for giving them to my family, also Purchasing online was limited to 128 on most sites. I have been converting direct to Sony ATRAC or have converted some FLAC to wav. I use Sony mini basically that my memory is endless, just buy / burn more discs. Also when I travel AA batt's are readily available. The shuffle was great for fitness, because 192, or higher didnt really matter when you are running or lifting.

rogg are you using the sony atrac cd writer thing? called connect or something like that?

Ok Im a bit ignorant in the world of converting songs to a higher kbps on a computer.

btw im using linux right now. In about a month or so I'll be getting a mac with vista and leopard, so in those two operating systems (either one) can someone give me a tutorial about changing the file to one of these?

Wav - 22mb
Apple Lossless - 6.5mb
256kbps AAC - 3.8mb
128kbps MP3 - 2mb

thanks

Trying to convert a song from one bit-rate to a higher bit-rate will just take up more space and sound virtually the same. You can't really "upconvert" very well.

In OS X, iTunes is super easy. You go to the iTunes tab, select preferences...

Then:

Go to the advanced tab, click Importing... then you can select from the "Import Using" pull down. Then select rate/mono/stereo options if the encoder you are using has any options.

Pop a CD in the drive. A button that says Import CD appears in the lower right corner. Usually it asks if you want to import when you insert a CD, if set in the preferences.

To convert a song you already have, select the song(s), go to the Advanced tab at the top of the screen and simply select "convert selection to (various formats)". It will indicate what format you selected previously in the Importing options.

I just got caught up in this today.
Kinda cool, actually.
My old, tinny ears seem to find that the 320kbps MP3 or AAC seem to have an acceptable balance between size and sound, especially for a personal use media probably to be used exclusively for VERY non critical listening.

I'd go WAV, or the FLAC routes were I archiving something for a digital music server on the big rig, but for music on the go, the 320 kbps stuff sounds pretty good to me.

will this work in windows version too?

thanks a lot
It should. At least the ripping from a CD part. That's what I've been doing today, and it works quite nicely.
Unfortunately, most of the stuff online is 128 kpbs, so you're stuck with that. But even so, it does provide a suitable quality recording for auditioning purposes that's good enough to see the selection is interesting and compelling enough to get a "good" copy. :yes:

Those of us "blessed" with "older" hearing that have limited banwidth capabilities may deal with an iPod just fine. I cannot hear the sweep sing of an old telly any more--i.e. the way I used to be able to do such that I could be reading in another room and get up and adjust the horizontal hold of an errant telly before the elder occupants of that room could ever get up out of their chairs to do so--simply because I could hear the change in the pitch of the sweep! :rolleyes: How they always found me to be so "physic" about the behaviour of the telly in that room when I wa'nt even there! :rolleyes:

How the pitch and timbre of that 15,750 Hz sing used to guide me in diagnoses!

Nowadays the sets don't sing out their horizontal sweep as they did in the days of yore. And perhaps no longer can I hear these nagging whistles.

Growing old sucks. But I can still hear the digital "fur" in most iPods.

Back
Top Bottom