Improving on a preamp RCA's...

WhiteSE

Is Lute Gluten Free??
Subscriber
I have this preamp, great sound, nice caps, but the bloody RCA's are too close together to use my nice cables...also, I would like to add a second set of outputs, and change the volume pot to an Alps I have.

Is this possible being that the RCA's are of the kind installed? Pics for reference.
Rear...Crappy RCA's
index.php

Inside...RCA's in plastic chasis
index.php

Volume pot
index.php

Pot I want installed...(I hope its the right one)
IMG_20180307_232323728.jpg

Looks like the RCAs are in sets of two. Just remove the center set and space it further away from third set to give you room for big honking cables but leave enough room for that second set of outputs and their very own big honking cables. Or cut out the back panel and install a plexiglass piece with all the RCAs you need.

Did you measure the pot installed to see if it is the same?

Anything is possible if you want to throw enough work/money at it. Too tight? Goto a local machine shop and have a custom case made and transfer everything over.

Maybe the RCA cable plugs can be shaved down some?

Those look like standard-spaced RCA jacks. I think it would be easier just to use different cables.
That's what I have been doing...but they are flimsy...likely to have the metal come off with the cable.

That's what I have been doing...but they are flimsy...likely to have the metal come off with the cable.
There are plenty of excellent quality cables that are not in the least bit flimsy and will work perfectly with that preamplifier.

Anything is possible if you want to throw enough work/money at it. Too tight? Goto a local machine shop and have a custom case made and transfer everything over.

Maybe the RCA cable plugs can be shaved down some?

Check out what hammond has in the extruded aluminum cases, get the next size up from what that box is and rebuild the unit yourself, drill the holes, file out the IEC connector hole (unless you have access to the punch for this) and make the unit your own ergonomic design. @WhiteSE I know you enjoy swapping gear, don't know if you like the any DIY side of this hobby.

http://hammondmfg.com/scpg.htm#Ext

It looks like that rear plate just screws on, so why not just get a blank the same size and thickness and some nicer RCAs and make a new bolt on back to suit your needs? It's just aluminum and not hard to work with every day woodworking tools. That way you can just remove and resolder the leads to the new board and reverse it back to stock when you sell it?

That actually is probably easier that carving up the current back to overlay a new board with the wider spacings.

Or just make some short 3" extension jumper/adapters with thin RCAs to allow your cables to fit, unless another interface concerns you..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom