In praise of my Yamaha CR 1020

Muel_pete

This is my first post, I am happy to finally be joining the community.

Wow, man, I just had one of those world shifting hifi moments.

I have recently picked up a Yamaha CR 1020, Pioneer SX D7000, and pair of EPI M100 speakers. I decided to take the plunge and pick up some end game gear so that I would stop dinking around with buying and selling off midfi gear.

So I originally paired the M100s with the Pioneer receiver thinking that it would drive them better because it is rated at 120 watts per channel vs the Yamaha's 80. Over the past week and a half I have been disappointed with the sound coming out of that set up, the M100s sounded vailed - not the alive, musical experience that I was expecting. The Pioneer definitely had a very hard time driving them and they just weren't sounding the way I knew they could nor how I wanted them to sound.

Well, fast forward to tonight. I decided to switch out receivers just to hear how the Yamaha paired with the M100s. HOLY COW! DAMN! This is a match made in heaven! The CR 1020 drives the M100s so effortlessly, they are alive, musical, and detailed. The bass is punchy, the treble is sweet and non fatiguing (just like how I expected the M100s to sound!). Oh my heavens, this pairing is out of this world and I have been sitting back in my listening chair for the last hour jamming away and rediscovering my favorite tunes.

This experience has definitely made me a Yamaha lifer. It is time to sell off that Pioneer! I've already got a CR 640 to got with my CR 1020, and now I am on the look out for a CR 2020, 3020 or CA 2010! I love Yamaha's clean, detailed, and powerful sound. I love that I can tailor that sound to my ears based off the speakers I use because it is so clean (I have also been running the 1020 with a pair of Axiom Audio M5HP bookshelf speakers). I love how the old Yamaha's are styled, they look soo good! Most of all, I love the way my 1020 pairs with my M100s!

Any way, thanks for reading, I was just so excited I had to share, and no one in my family seems to understand. I hope y'all find a setup that fits your needs like this has mine. Happy listening!

I thoroughly enjoy my CR-1020. I have it connected to a pair of NHT SuperZero 2.1 bookshelf speakers and it's an awesome combination.

Welcome to AK and keep enjoying that CR-1020!

Love my CR 1020/2020 & CR 3020 !’!!
Great receivers. On the other hand my Pioneer SX D7000 is no slouch either paired with the right set of speakers so don’t be so fast getting rid of it. They all hold a nice place in my audio collection

Back
Top Bottom