In Search of Small Mcintosh Amp

The MC122 came after the 7100. Early 90's. It is rated at 80WPC at 8ohms. Direct coupled no autoformers. Very small form factor but It sounds like a McIntosh.

I've been doing some reading on everyone's suggestions. The plus side to a 7100 is it can be bridged, so down the road I could add another.

I got a line on 2 MC502s in walnut cabinets and a MR55 tuner. Wasn't even looking for them.

My question is it looks like they can be ran in mono. Is that the same as bridged? I read that they will put out 150 watts. Wasn't sure the difference between Mono or Bridge. Advantage, Disadvantages. Never ran two amps before.

I can probably pick up all three for the price of a 7100.

I have not had time to read up on the MR55. Tuner any good?

My intent would be to take all three pieces to my tech if I bought them.

Any help would be appreciated!

One other question Please. Assuming I get them operating to spec, will they be as quiet as the C34, as far as back ground noise.

MC502s are very nice power amplifiers. Running them mono is referred to as bridging and they're direct coupled, hence the nice increase in power when doing so. The MR55 is a mono tube tuner with some collector value. Depending on its condition, you may be able to sell it to offset your investment in the power amps.

Thanks Macman. I hoped you, Twiii or someone would chime in. I just talked to the seller and it is actually a MR500 tuner.

Wanted to make sure mono and bridging were the same.

I'm a long way off on one of those. Hope to own one someday. Perfect size and power for my needs on my basement rig.

Back
Top Bottom