In search of the "Bose Sound"

Shark Bait

In my never-ending quest to try as much as I can, I am hoping to try a pair of Bose Speakers. I have a small listening space so they do not have to be huge. Which Bose speakers really show off the Bose sound. I know the cheap Bose from Big Box stores do not really have that sound. I want to compare the sound to my B&Ws and Klipsch. Any Bose fans have any suggestions? I will be hooking them up to a vintage Pioneer SX-636.

Probably 301-II or 301-III for a small space. But if it's a live room with lots of hard surfaces they may be quite boomy in the mid bass. Mids will probably be more natural on the B&W's. But who knows, you may prefer their character.

I have never really thought about it before, but I'm not so sure that Bose has a distinctive "house sound" like other manufacturers are known to.have. For a smaller space, I'd have to agree on the 301s or maybe even 501s or 601s (on the larger size). 201s (although pretty small) are often used in arrays in bars and restaurants for distributed sound.

The 901s are probably most stereotypical Bose. They'll need more power, though. And possibly a bigger space.

I have had 301s and 601s.

I still have 601-series IIs.
They need to be positioned in the right place, in the right room, though.

I really like the 601-IIs.
I could never get attached to the 301s for some reason.

You can get always use a pair of regular speakers facing forward and set a pair of htib satellites sitting on top facing the nearest side walls. That should get you 80% of the way there.

Depending on the expected locations for the speakers, the 301 but which version? The Series I (probably no series indication) has an angled tweeter on one side and a movable vane to direct the sound, allowing you to put one next to a wall and the other not near a wall, using the vane to control the high frequency reflection to the listening area.

@mikeybc talks about the Series II and III being the ones. I don't know but they look to have fixed tweeters which may or may not be a concern. I don't know if there is a significant performance difference in any of the 301 which is a well-regarded Bose product. I only have experience with the first version.

The 901s are probably most stereotypical Bose. They'll need more power, though. And possibly a bigger space.

"Stereotypical"! :D

I've only heard two pair of 901's, and only one pair was set up properly (enough space for proper placement). The appropriate equalizer is a must since those 9 small speakers don't make a lot of bass (and it's a pain to re-foam 18 speakers). They sounded pretty darn good in his system, but his upstream gear was also high quality..

I always thought those little pedestals they sit on were an accident waiting to happen with kids or dogs.

This is a pretty interesting read.

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/we-review-the-bose-901/

I liked my 301's and from what I've read, they defy the Bose stigma and are generally well regarded.

I’ve always liked the 901s and even refoamed a set, but I’ve never heard them in a small room. I’m a Klipsch fan (with an SVS sub) because I like horns, but I do like the 901s.

I think there is a bit of similarity in the sound of most of their speakers. They are warm with very natural mids and a rolled off top end. That might catch it.

I don't know anything about your space or preferences, but I'd say just go with whatever fits your project budget and your room. Keep in mind the specific placement requirements for the 301 and 901, and the need for a tape monitor loop for the 901 eq. I would guess your Pioneer receiver has at least one.

I was also going to say the 301series II or III's. Very nice smaller speakers with good bass. I sold mine for lack of space and moving up the audio food chain, but will always recommend these.

After getting my 501’s repaired, I’ve definitely come around on Bose. The sound is far from flat-REW testing shows a sort of built-in smiley curve with some rolled off highs, which results in a very agreeable sound. Definitely an unkillable hump around 400Hz for some vocal presence. The sound is big and vague, and sort of spreads around the room. It’s definitely liveable, but I won’t miss ‘em when they’re gone.

FWIW, back in the mid 70's, 901s and 501s were highly regarded unlike today's take on Bose offerings. Both - as I recall the sales pitches - required careful room placement to get their incredible performance levels.

The later 301 Series 1 supposedly brought the Bose sound into the homes, apartments, dorms of those of us mortals that didn't have that "901 fit" in room size or wallet. My last live, real-time listening of 301s were in 1976 in an old-skool "stereo store", and they have been on my bucket list ever since to snag a pair.

I'm happy with a pair of 201's on the back channels of the quad. Bose also had fun with reflections on those ...

And as with the 301's, a lot depended on the series. Mine are Series II.

bose-201.jpg

bose-201-plate.jpg

bose-201-internals.jpg

I've also got a pair of 161's here that have pretty amazing bottom end considering their size. Those also have fun with imaging - sort of a hallmark of Bose design.

bose-161-pair-black.jpg

bose-161.jpg

You can still buy those too ...

Back
Top Bottom