In Wall Subs

Asmodeus2112

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Searching has gotten me very little info on this topic. I assume because they don't perform as well as stand alone subs, cost more, can't be upgraded easily, etc. etc. True all this?

I have a situation in our main living room, where we are pulling out a built in cabinet, so I will have access to do whatever I like to the drywall as we will have to have someone mud and texture it. I could even pull it all down and put new sheet rock up after wiring and maybe putting some in wall subs in. But, at the end of the day the in walls probably won't perform very well, will cost a bunch and it won't be easy to upgrade. Still, I'd like to consider the options.

IF you have room behind the wall, such as a closet, garage, storage, etc, you can mount the sub(s) on the wall. BUT: unless the wall is infinitely stiff, it will vibrate in reaction to the sub’s vibrations and tend to cancel out some of the sound you are trying to make. The better way is to make an enclosure mounted behind the wall, attached to the studs, and mount a pair of subs opposite each other on the outside of the box. If you then cut a hole in the wall the sound will propagate into the room. Look up Infinite Baffle on the net for some amazing examples. Try “The Cult of the Infinitely Baffled”.

Back
Top Bottom