Incoming Ren 90s in California/Virginia

Bahamayellow

Hello there are a pair of Ren 90s in California and Virginia. Glad their not in my neck of the woods. They r on the bay. Alittle pricy.

I'm using a 75 WPC tube amp now so I'm thinking probably not the best match. I heard the Kappa 9's a short while ago with 300 WPC SS amps and the owner said he wished he had more power for them.

I have the K9s and have about 1 500 watt carver amp to each one in a bi amp mode and it sounds fantastic. The RENs series I believe are not as power hungry and sound really nice according to people that have them.

4 hours from me. Are these as power hungry as the Kappa's?
They are easier to run than the Kappa's but you will need a good quality amp for them to sound their best because they are better at revealing the weakest link in your electronics and the quality of recordings, the Kappas are a more forgiving speaker.

Last edited:
4 hours from me. Are these as power hungry as the Kappa's?
They are less efficient, and therefore MORE power hungry then Kappas, but they aren't the amp killers kappa 9's are famous for being.
I drive mine with carver PM 450 wpc and they take all the power Carver can give, but they also sound fine using just a 100 wpc chip amp (lepai 7498)

Damn, I'd be talking to this guy had I not just dumped 2 grand on a transmission. Just to have as spares. I see some room with the water damage and broken grills and as usual the original spikes look to be gone, wonder why that is ? I'm using a pro amp (Crown DC 1502) and I think I could move up one more notch in that chain and the rens would be really happy.

I agree with the seller, BIG McIntosh, Krell, Levinson is the way to go, even used your looking at double what your spending on the speakers. Kinda like a good MOA rifle, relatively cheap it's the glass that cost.

Damn, I'd be talking to this guy had I not just dumped 2 grand on a transmission. Just to have as spares. I see some room with the water damage and broken grills and as usual the original spikes look to be gone, wonder why that is ? I'm using a pro amp (Crown DC 1502) and I think I could move up one more notch in that chain and the rens would be really happy.

I agree with the seller, BIG McIntosh, Krell, Levinson is the way to go, even used your looking at double what your spending on the speakers. Kinda like a good MOA rifle, relatively cheap it's the glass that cost.
My brother bought a pair of ren 90's 3 years ago that look exactly the same as this pair for sale with the water damage, difference is my brother only paid $300.00 and his speakers came with the spikes, the water damage was only cosmetic on his pair, I think the seller is asking way too much for the condition the speakers are in.

I agree, that's the toughest of any damage to repair. I paid 2 grand for mine and I think I over paid but I had to take into consideration when the hell is this going to happen again. But I'm glad I did as they are perfect for the house and I doubt they will be bested by anything short of an OB & Tube setup which I may dabble in down the road. I'd love to try a pair of magnapans but I just don't have the room.

Both pairs of Ren 80's I bought I don't think I paid more than $250 for, I sure wish I had kept the black ones. People are catching on to the true pre-Harmon Infinty Speakers and I think it's going to keeping driving prices ^

IMHO

The VA Seller says, "these are the best speakers below 10,000.00 a pair that I have heard". But, he's not selling the Klipsch speakers (no offense to the Klipsch lovers out there - just not my cup-of-tea)...!!! :cool:

Oh yea, he's only about an hour south of me in Gretna...!!! Straight down Rt. 29. Must resist, 'cause these would be my cup-of-tea...!!! :D And he has a Parasound A21 amp at auction too. :naughty:

Go for it StimpyWan !

You hear that reference quite a bit, I've never heard a $10,000 speaker, if it's true then I'm a happy camper :music:. I guess my TOTL speaker would be anything from Wilson Audio. I hope I'm not let down at RMAF.

Once you get above the $5k new price for a pair of speakers it is not about "best" but about the sound profile the speakers were designed to deliver. It's like asking what is the best $150k car.

The VA Seller says, "these are the best speakers below 10,000.00 a pair that I have heard". But, he's not selling the Klipsch speakers (no offense to the Klipsch lovers out there - just not my cup-of-tea)...!!! :cool:

I am a hardcore Infinity fan through and through. But the best speaker I have heard under 10K is certainly a properly setup pair of B&W Matrix 801 SIII (and I have heard ALOT of speakers, many costing much much more). I have to think IRS Beta before reaching a speaker that wowed me more in person.

BTW, you must be pretty close to me. I am about 30m south of Gretna

I am a hardcore Infinity fan through and through. But the best speaker I have heard under 10K is certainly a properly setup pair of B&W Matrix 801 SIII (and I have heard ALOT of speakers, many costing much much more). I have to think IRS Beta before reaching a speaker that wowed me more in person.

I've heard the B&W Matrix 801 side by side with the ren 90 and to me the ren 90 had more detail from top to bottom and had less coloration coming from the drivers than the B&W, I guess everyone hears things differently.

Last edited:
I've heard some B&W speakers myself but I can't remember the model, they were definitely nice. I like your last statement okeeteekid. Everyone does hear things differently. I kinda get turned of when someone tells me I'm missing out because of this and that.......Really, how do you know ?

I think being suggestive is much more positive than being definitive when making statements about audio.

I worked in Stereotypes, in Charlottesville, for about a year. We sold B&W, but not the 801s. Our top speakers in store, were the 803s and 804s. Still pretty sweet sounding, on our McIntosh gear. We'd order the full line, if someone wanted better, but the 803s weren't shabby.

As to location, I still work in C'ville, but now live in Amherst, just north of Lynchburg. A beautiful area; the family loves it.

Oh yea, does "uvafan" mean a UVa grad?

I've heard the B&W Matrix 801 side by side with the ren 90 and to me the ren 90 had more detail from top to bottom and had less coloration coming from the drivers than the B&W, I guess everyone hears things differently.

Nothing to do with you liking them or not, as that is definitely subjective as you say. Though, I would have been looking at something other than the speakers (having heard them a lot), in adding the words coloration/less detail to the 801. Crappy equipment or very poor placement? Certainly the most renown recording studios would not have monitors with coloration or suffering in detail (or any other downfalls in a speaker for that matter). The 801 required the best of the best (and powerful) equipment, as they were very accurate. I see a lot of them being bought and reviewed on youtube lately running less than stellar equipment and positioning (something very important to a speaker that will give you the good and bad in the highest detail). But yes, your ears may not have liked them, as I too have heard some very high dollar (loved) speakers I thought were less than stellar. Some think Klipsch are the best speaker ever made, for some reason?

As to location, I still work in C'ville, but now live in Amherst, just north of Lynchburg. A beautiful area; the family loves it.

Oh yea, does "uvafan" mean a UVa grad?

Yes. It stands for UVa. And yes it is a beautiful area. Much like Western NC.

Last edited:
Nothing to do with you liking them or not, as that is definitely subjective as you say. Though, I would have been looking at something other than the speakers (having heard them a lot), in adding the words coloration/less detail to the 801. Crappy equipment or very poor placement? Certainly the most renown recording studios would not have monitors with coloration or suffering in detail (or any other downfalls in a speaker for that matter). The 801 required the best of the best (and powerful) equipment, as they were very accurate. I see a lot of them being bought and reviewed on youtube lately running less than stellar equipment and positioning (something very important to a speaker that will give you the good and bad in the highest detail). But yes, your ears may not have liked them, as I too have heard some very high dollar (loved) speakers I thought were less than stellar. Some think Klipsch are the best speaker ever made, for some reason?

Yes. It stands for UVa. And yes it is a beautiful area. Much like Western NC.

I was at a friends place for a audio meeting and he had the newer B & W 600 or 800 series with the natulius style mid and tweet and wasn't to impressed. He spent a lot of money on them but I think it was a combo of source, power and space. I didn't say anything until another friend brought it up also of them sounding not so stellar. They were beautiful speakers though. Like pieces of art. I heard they take a lot of power to drive properly also and the small moon amp wasn't getting it done. I believe they were the smaller 802d

image.png

Back
Top Bottom