Increasing Filter Capacitance on the 2270?

hirscwi

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
At the risk of opening a can of worms, what are the views on increasing the main filter capacitors on a 2270 from 10,000 (commonly used on this forum) to 15,000? Stock is 6800 mfd, I think.

Thanks.

I believe they came with 9,000uf as original and I've routinely used 10,000uf Panasonic THA's over the years as they are a perfect fit without doing some goofy shimming ,etc.
I do use 15,000uf Panasonic THA's in all my 2275 restorations as they came with 13,000uf as original.
I don't know if almost doubling from 9,000 to 15,000 on the 2270 would unduly stress the upstream components(rectifier,transformer or power switch).

Bob

I use the Nichicon KG's 10,000uf, they come with the solder terminals, same diameter and fit as the stock caps.

Yes, I've been a bit worried about the rectifier. The switch can easily be changed or replaced with a Triac or step-start.

I use the Nichicon KG's 10,000uf, they come with the solder terminals, same diameter and fit as the stock caps.

Pat, What is a good source for these Nichicon KGs? All the KGs at Mouser seem to be snap in. Also the only 10,000 mfd they have are 50V or less, so not much use in the 2270 (OK for the 2245).

Also, as I'm sure you know, there are 3 types of the KG with the type 3 being the best. Can't find those at Mouser either...

So a source recommendation would be appreciated.

I believe they came with 9,000uf as original and I've routinely used 10,000uf Panasonic THA's over the years as they are a perfect fit without doing some goofy shimming ,etc.
I do use 15,000uf Panasonic THA's in all my 2275 restorations as they came with 13,000uf as original.
I don't know if almost doubling from 9,000 to 15,000 on the 2270 would unduly stress the upstream components(rectifier,transformer or power switch).

Bob

I've used the THAs also in a few 2270s but they are no longer produced (or possibly only available in large quantities).

I just recapped 2270. It had two 18000uF 55V Elna filter caps installed, looked like a mod from the 1980s. It must have worked ok for some time, but I bought it dead this year. After some soldering it worked ok on those big caps, I replaced them though with ChemiCon 10,000uF 80V to have it as original. I think they started to make 2270 in 1971 with 2x 6500uF, then increased to 2x 9000uF and finished with 2x 10,000uF. Mine is from 1974, not sure what size it had originally, surely not 6500uF, rather 9000uF or 10000uF I suppose, but rather the latter.
I did not listen enough with the big caps to judge the difference that 18000uF caps did, also I fully recapped at the same time. I should mention that the big caps measured over 20,000uF each on two meters I had.

Last edited:
Very interesting. Would suggest that the rectifier and switch can handle that amount of current inrush.

I did quite a research before ordering the 10,000uF caps. The only ones available with the right diameter and two solder lugs were the Nichicons KG(M) Tune, the audio caps, rated 1000hr/85C. With hindsight I would go for Panasonic 12000uF, they are obsolete but still available in mouser/digi, they have pins though not solder lugs, but my ChemiCons have pins too.
BTW, I have those Nichicons 10000uF/63V and can confirm they have traditional solder lugs with holes and they look great in terms of size. The other 10000uF/12000uF caps are very short (5-6cm) with the same diameter, my ChemiCons barely go above the rings that keep them in place in 2270 but they have better specs otherwise as I don't believe in that mumbo jumbo about silk as medium. I will use them if they make them in wooden casing too, mahogany preferabely :) great for acoustics!

Last edited:
By the way, Patfont offers some very nice drop in rebuild kits for most of the common Marantz units. Anyone starting a rebuild should consider these given Pat's extensive research on capacitors for these units.

I hope this post is not out of line for this forum. If it is, my apologies.

I have a 2270 that's not been restored and it has Elna 55V 9,000uf caps installed. I'm not sure if they're original or not as the volume pot appears to have been serviced at some point but I kind of think the filter caps are original. I'd like to replace them with some higher quality components but I've also heard that since the filter caps are not really a key component in the audio chain, there's little difference in performance (given one is comparing identical sized caps) between one brand to another in this application, whereas Tone boards, Phono boards, and EQ boards use caps that are critical to the audio signal. Would appreciate opinions on this if anyone has one.

To me that's a bit of a religious question. The filter caps are there to smooth the power supply and so if they let ripple (for example) through, it may have some. The ESR of those capacitors also plays a role but I'm not the best person to explain. However I would say they are critical. For example, it you look at high end power amplifiers, there is a lot of emphasis on the power supply - capacitors and other types of filtering - so it surely has some impact on the sound quality.

I'm not a fan of going up much in value. I do like the cap 'patfont' suggested just a couple of posts up.

A change from 9000µF to 10000µF isn't going to cause any ill effects that I know of.
Many electrolytic capacitors in the 'old days' had a tolerance of +100/-20%, a 9000µF capacitor might have been as much as 18000µF, new.

Tom

I agree of course Tom. The OP was going to 15,000uF and that's what I wouldn't do myself.

I have the same caps for my 2270 as patfont has. I had ordered them from Mouser in mid March and got them right away. However, both Mouser and Digikey are out of them right now, with July and June expected delivery dates posted for them. I have not installed mine yet, since i've been tied up lately with a bunch of other life stuff.

Also, I can confirm that they have standard solder lugs, not snap-in pins.

I have the same caps for my 2270 as patfont has. I had ordered them from Mouser in mid March and got them right away. However, both Mouser and Digikey are out of them right now, with July and June expected delivery dates posted for them. I have not installed mine yet, since i've been tied up lately with a bunch of other life stuff.

Also, I can confirm that they have standard solder lugs, not snap-in pins.
Those caps go fast. I ordered four of them in December and they were back ordered until Jan 16th. I didn't get them until almost March. They are great drop-ins for the 2245 and 2270. They are worth waiting for or finding an alternative source.

I have a 2245 that I will be restoring when time permits. Would you happen to have a Mouser part number for those caps Steven?

Back
Top Bottom