Indoor antenna advice

caseyjames

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have a Dynaco FM-3 coming my way early next week and am looking for advice on an indoor antenna. I live in a smallish city (Portland, ME) so have a couple decent local stations to grab. I'm thinking that pulling Boston stations (~100 miles) is out the question but maybe?

Anyways, I know little to nothing about tuners (along with most other things in life) and was hoping for some advice on an antenna.

Much thanks in advance!

That tuner would probably require an outdoor antenna to get
the Boston stations. For locals, I'd start with some basic rabbit
ears.

Boston from portland indoors is a bit of a distance. not impossible, but height is your friend here. There's not much between the cities but water, but you'll need some elevation on your antenna i think. A 3rd floor location would even be very helpful. if you're on the ground floor, an indoor very likely won't cut it.

fmfool.com can show you what you'd need. punch in some heights and you'll see whats available to you at your location, and how a few feet makes a difference. Picking up WBLM in boston is almost impossible from ground level, i tried when i lived there.

If there's a station you really want, i've had great results with cubical quad antnnas. very directional, takes up a wee bit of space, very easy diy. I've also been recently tempted by some of the less expensive rotating antennas available. If there's an old unused tv dish at your place, the mount is already installed, and likely some wire too.

I figured that it would be difficult to reach Boston stations. I'm really just looking for a solid indoor antenna to grab as many regional stations as possible. Are they all essentially the same?

I figured that it would be difficult to reach Boston stations. I'm really just looking for a solid indoor antenna to grab as many regional stations as possible. Are they all essentially the same?

Indoor antennas are basically a crap shoot. I agree with the rabbit ears recommendation.

Common indoor antennas such as rabbit ears and twin lead dipoles are directional. They are basically the same antenna, but it's easier to aim rabbit ears than a dipole taped to the wall. Best reception is usually (see below) when they are turned broadside toward the transmitter. There are omni-directional designs like collinears and j-poles, but you will probably have to build your own, which isn't real hard if you like to fiddle around.

Amplified antennas, in my experience, aren't a whole lot better, and cheap ones can amplify noise on weak signals.

Complicating all of this is that metal stuff around an indoor antenna - roofs, house wiring, pipes, and so forth - can interfere with signals and an antenna's directional characteristics. In dense urban areas, buildings and structures can affect reception.

If you can swing it, there is no substitute for an outdoor antenna, as high and as far away from other objects as possible. In my experience, a three or five element yagi on a rotor will be great in all but the most remote locations.

Back
Top Bottom