Industrial music

DJ G-Man

Purvis Of Sound
Well, folks, it's about time.
Time to have an Industrial Music thread.
Time to challenge all conceptions about music.
Time to think against the norms of what MUSIC is supposed to BE.
Time to think about what was originally conceived as ANTI-MUSIC.
Time to think about the relation of People, Society, & the WORLD we live in.
Time to think about what screws us up in the long run.......................
IT'S THERE..............................

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_music

I'm going to start with the first true 'industrial' release - although there were many influences that led up to it....................

Throbbing Gristle - Second Annual Report - 1977

The%252BSecond%252BAnnual%252BReport.png

ALL comments and additions are welcome.................

I was a big Ministry fan back in the day... I suppose I still am. Saw them three times - awesome in concert.

I used to love Throbbing Gristle. I still spin "Very Friendly" every once in a while. My eardrums kind of got burnt out on industrial, though - switched to avant garde jazz.

Hamburger Lady just gives me the creeps in a good way...

I like Soviet (zoviet maybe?) France. I have an album of theirs, mohnohomse or something. Double album packed between 2 sheets of masonite. Cool stuff.
Bands like Chris and Cosey, Coil, Cassandra Complex, Foetus, and Psychic TV will always have a special place in my heart. But Einsturzende Neubeauten (sp) really rules the roost.:thmbsp:

Esplendor Geometrico
Mark Stewart especially "As the veneer of democracy Starts to Fade"
Jim Thirlwell’s projects like Foetus and Wiseblood
Early Tackhead
Einstürzende Neubauten especially "Halber Mensch". (The first time I saw the video for this album, I couldn't stop thinking about it for 3 days!)
Early Test Department
Early Skinny Puppy
Early Severed Heads
In Sotto Voce
Early Klinik
Early Nitzer Ebb
Boris Mikulic
Early Caberet Voltaire

How’s that for a start?

Good stuff...
Personally, I need a little rhythm to keep me interested.. Some of the harder, more discordant stuff (Foetus, some Nurse With Wound) is a bit more than I can take; some of the early Industrial that goes towards the apocalyptic folk (some Psychic tv, Death in June) and electronica (again, some Nurse With Wound, Coil, Current 93) is more accessible to me.

One thing I really do like about the genre is the cool packaging like the masonite mentioned above, the cool hand-numbered or hand-drawn pictures etc...

I really loved the industrial movement but actually love the bands it influenced more. NIN / Ministry / Marlin Manson / KMFDM / Skatenigs / Fantama Mansions the list goes on. Ministry was the first (Or maybe KMFDM?) to use the industrial attitude but write 'rock' songs with an actual song structure. NIN perfected it with their "Downward Spiral" album.

I recently stumbled across a band called Godspeed You! Black Emperor Kind of a blend of progressive / early industrial. Pretty good stuff.

Good stuff...
Personally, I need a little rhythm to keep me interested.. Some of the harder, more discordant stuff (Foetus, some Nurse With Wound) is a bit more than I can take; some of the early Industrial that goes towards the apocalyptic folk (some Psychic tv, Death in June) and electronica (again, some Nurse With Wound, Coil, Current 93) is more accessible to me.

One thing I really do like about the genre is the cool packaging like the masonite mentioned above, the cool hand-numbered or hand-drawn pictures etc...

With regard to Foetus, and needing a little rhythm, check out the following and you may change your mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pn-T-al4MA

X-TG (Throbbing Gristle after Genesis quit, and before Sleazy passed away) released a double album last year, Desert Shore/Final Report. The first disc is a song-for-song cover of the Nico album, with guest vocalists. The second disc is live; the trio managed to play just two shows before Sleazy's death cut them short. I'd post an image, but the cover is all white.

My favorite album of last year was Transverse by Carter Tutti Void (Chris & Cosey with Nic Void of Factory Floor), a live recording from Mute's Short Circuit Festival in 2011.

attachment.php

Attachments

• homepage_large.88b93f80.jpg
    homepage_large.88b93f80.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 378
Ministry was the first (Or maybe KMFDM?) to use the industrial attitude but write 'rock' songs with an actual song structure.

If you like Ministry, you should check out Big Black. They were doing what Ministry did, except five years earlier and in the same city. Ministry wasn't the first band to combine industrial sounds with traditional rock songs.

Last edited:
Taken from Wikipedia;

The birth of industrial music was a response to "an age [in which] the access and control of information were becoming the primary tools of power." At its birth, the genre of industrial music was different from any other music, and its use of technology and disturbing lyrics and themes to tear apart preconceptions about the necessary rules of musical form supports the suggestion that industrial music is modernist music. The artists themselves made these goals explicit, even drawing connections to social changes they wished to argue for through their music. The Industrial Records website explains that the musicians wanted to re-invent rock music, and that their uncensored records were about their relationship with the world. They go on to say that they wanted their music to be an awakening for listeners so that they would begin to think for themselves and question the world around them. Industrial Records intended the term industrial to evoke the idea of music created for a new generation, with previous music being more agricultural: P-Orridge stated that "there's an irony in the word 'industrial' because there's the music industry. And then there's the joke we often used to make in interviews about churning out our records like motorcars —that sense of industrial. And ... up till then the music had been kind of based on the blues and slavery, and we thought it was time to update it to at least Victorian times—you know, the Industrial Revolution".

Cabaret Voltaire - Nag Nag Nag - 1979

R-54221-1148032984.jpg

I'll have to check some of these bands out. I'm not sure if they are industrial, but I really dig Einsterzende Neubaten.

I get my fix of cleansing noise with the jazz "energy players" like Albert Ayler, Roscoe Mitchell, Pharoah Sanders, Archie Shepp and late-period Coltrane.

I like a lot of bands listed thus far, some of my other favorites are Front 242, My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, Killing Joke, and the Electric Hellfire Club.

Hoping this thread can introduce me to some new stuff, since I can be picky about the industrial I like.

Z'EV - Production And Decay Of Spacial Relations - 1981

images
Z'EV is one Stefan Weisser, very prolific artist in experimental and industrial music.

I like a lot of bands listed thus far, some of my other favorites are Front 242, My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, Killing Joke, and the Electric Hellfire Club.

Hoping this thread can introduce me to some new stuff, since I can be picky about the industrial I like.

Check out Esplendor Geométrico - Noising In The Rain I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEJUQJ4kfAE

and THE KLINIK "BLACK LEATHER"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOWISx7JejA

Both of these bands are somewhat unknown but have released some very interesting stuff.

I must admit they sound a lot better on a real stereo than on Youtube on the computer.

Here's a nice compilation that came out on Illuminated Records in 1984

The Industrial Records Story
330469195274.jpg

A1 Throbbing Gristle – We Hate You (Little Girls)
A2 Monte Cazazza – To Mom On Mother's Day
A3 Leather Nun* – Slow Death
A4 Rental* / Leer* – Day Breaks, Night Heals
A5 Surgical Penis Klinik (SPK)* – Mekano
A6 Cabaret Voltaire – Sunday Night In Biot
B1 Elisabeth Welch – Stormy Weather
B2 Clock DVA – Silent
B3 Dorothy* – I Confess
B4 Throbbing Gristle – Distant Dreams (Part Two)
B5 William S Burroughs* – Nothing Here Now...

Back
Top Bottom