Industrial music

Glad to see this thread resurrected! Most of the usual suspects are listed here with only a few marginal examples. IMHO I don't equate 50's music concrete with 80's industrial. Other than the fact it's a logical progression and an obvious influence. And there is a fine line drawn between noise music and industrial. Noise bands have a much wider palette which to draw from. Industrial music can be "noisy" but is limited by it's stylistic approach. I believe most industrial bands have more to do with gothic music than shear noise. But of course, goth music has mutated from what it originally started out as. With that said, my interpretation of industrial music is that which embodies the industrial landscape of factory towns in England in the late 70's to early 80's. A music steeped in the bleak, depressing backdrop of decaying industry.
I find it fascinating when music is picked up by musicians from other countries and interpreted. Most of the bands exampled here are from England or Europe. With the exception of NIN and Ministry or my personal favorite, Blackhouse, not many american bands found industrial success. Most absorbed metal influences to keep the industrial flag flying. Which is when I moved on.

IMG_20160723_110752.jpg Brain Ladd's industrial "christian" band started in 1984. His early albums are great, as are the cassette only releases. Not really comparable to any other industrial band, there is an emotional content to much of their music, which is rare for an extreme style like this. Album credits go to Ivo Cutler and Sterling Cross but there was only ever Ladd of Firth/Ladd records. Great stuff!

664356795cd449e6bdf0a58204d5632f.jpg

Das Kabinette (1983)

Good to see this thread still going. Thanks to all who've posted. The leads here got me looking much deeper into what I conclude is humankind's reinvention of music. Post industrial I find is the true neo classical music, since the very 80's. The establishment is only just discovering what industrial set out to do decades ago. I've also had to disregard some industrial off shoots like industrial rock that's still being made. Like most rock and roll it's childish, regressive.

Back
Top Bottom