Infinitesimal Nudies and question

I just noticed the Terazzo floor in your pics. I thought you must live in South FL like I do! Then I checked your info and saw that you are on the other coast. LOL. You don't see that much exposed Terazzo any more. We uncovered ours.

It is actually the carpet in my music room. I find that it often makes a good background for photographing audio bits and pieces.

Last edited:
Hi
Caps came today so I wrapped up what I was working on and got started. I took off all of the oak and gave it all a good coating of Feed and Wax. The wood is not as smooth and flat as it would be if I refinished it but it looks very nice so I will let the Howards sink in while I do the rest and see what it looks like.

DSC05061 by eightyard8, on Flickr
The lid comes off and everything gets a preliminary cleaning. The resistance in the coils is tested and (whew) they are right on the button.

DSC05048 by eightyard8, on Flickr
The large crossover is held to the bottom with six large screws

DSC05047 by eightyard8, on Flickr
The board comes out. Note the controls for the Tweeter and Contour. They get Deoxed even though they were quiet to start with. There is something that disturbs me though. This cabinet is so tight and the drivers so powerful that I would assume that being airtight would be paramount but yet I can see daylight around the slides. I would expect to see little plastic flat pieces around the buttons themselves to keep the seal tight. Anybody have experience with this? I might have to make some.

DSC05055 by eightyard8, on Flickr
Here are the new caps laid out near the ones they will replace.Although I have not calculated the volumes I think the total should be close to those that are in there.I am switching to a film cap for that glorious ribbon tweeter where it matters.

DSC05059 by eightyard8, on Flickr
That's enough out of me for today. Any suggestions are really appreciated.
Rob

Nice pics and project going on. You are inspiring me. Never thought about an air leak around those buttons. I will play mine tomorrow and see if I notice any air coming out around them.
Jim

Ready to work today. My Supervisor has taken his spot in his box.

DSC05005 by eightyard8, on Flickr
Old caps.

DSC05084 by eightyard8, on Flickr
Board with caps removed.

DSC05064 by eightyard8, on Flickr
Here are the switches that concerned me earlier. I can see clearly now that they are actually outside of the enclosure because of the gasketed chamber designed into the box. Nicely done!

DSC05065 by eightyard8, on Flickr
Please pardon the spiderwebs of hotglue. Fastening the caps in place seemed important. There must be some serious vibration going on in that cabinet when they are in use.

DSC05070 by eightyard8, on Flickr
Board in place. I am still amazed at the size of the xover in these 11" tall speakers. The new caps had to be carefully placed to avoid hitting the magnet on the woofer.

DSC05073 by eightyard8, on Flickr

DSC05081 by eightyard8, on Flickr

DSC05079 by eightyard8, on Flickr
One thing that surprised me is the sheer number and size of the screws holding these together. There must be close to 50 of them. Hope someone enjoys the pics.

Painted screw heads matte black and re-assembled. Tested. I like the B curve. It seems to give more presence. I am using the increased high setting because I am old. One of the wood side trims cracked and is being glued. I noticed that the alloy case is prone to stripped threads. I used a drop of oil on each screw to ease the strain and had to put a bit of soft wire into two screw holes to help tighten them. Thanks to all who gave me advice or were kind enough to comment. Here they are finished. Pluto if supervising from his cat perch.He's a Maine Coon. He was named after the planet, when it was a planet. Whenever a cat in his line was ready to be shown they received a planetary name. His Dad was Jupiter. He made Champion while barely out of Kitten Class but before he could get to Grand Champion he began biting judges. He bit them when they reached back to check for testicles. Eventually he was banned from competition! Shortly after that we got him really cheap. We love him. He is a great cat. Never bites.

DSC05217 by eightyard8, on Flickr
DSC05218 by eightyard8, on Flickr
DSC05220 by eightyard8, on Flickr

It was great getting to follow your recap project through to completion. Now you've got me thinking about doing the same to my Infinitesimal 0.1 and 0.2 pairs, the only Infinity's I own that I haven't recapped. A project for the upcoming year perhaps as the current project is just getting through the holiday's unscathed.

I made some extra wood stripes for a pair of .01. I think I could find them out in the garage. They may be the same width as the .02's strips. You are welcome to one but you'll have to drill holes in it and stain it. Pm me if you want one and I'll drop it in the mail.
Jim

I know my IV's aren't in the same league as the .1 .2 .3, but they are really amazing speakers, I can switch between my crescendo 3009 and my IV's and the only thing missing is that low bass, they (IV)s even reproduce a kick drum well, and I don't have a clue how they do that. Wheras, with any other speaker, except my maggies, when I switch speakers from the CS3009, the 'voice' is so different, and the top end just disappears.

Personally, I'd love a few more pairs.

jaz

Wonderful job on your restoration Kahoona, I'm also doing a similar process and excited to get things in order. Thanks so much for the pictures and taking the time to walk through your experience for people as myself who look for guidance as they begin their own journeys! I am under the impression this is the 0.2 version, as mine is. Both v0.1 and v0.3 are radically different so there's no chance either of us are using any but v 0.2. I have a few questions that I need to sort out and so if inclined please feel to jump in; and any AK'r is indeed encouraged to join in as well :thumbsup:

In the schematic (Infinity REV A 9-98) the diagram calls for two 1.4 ohm resistors located side by side next to the tweeter's film cap, yet your crossover shows two 2.7 ohm 5 watt resistors in those positions. The other discrepancy that I'm confused by is the schematic shows a 0.2mH coil for the tweeter but I do not see it on your board in before and after pictures. Is this part of your choice, a recommendation from another source or something I should consider doing due to a change from an earlier or later update? Scouring the internet I can find no other such specs or diagram, it appears to be "the one" I come across wherever its referred to, one such as seen at the link below.

http://www.infinity-classics.de/technik/manuals/Infinitesimal_0.2_technical_sheet.pdf

Back
Top Bottom