Infinitesimals and IL120s subwoofer?

goodolpg

Just an old fart trying to help.
Subscriber
3 or 4 weeks ago I picked up an Interlude IL120s sub at a garage sale for $75. Seller was asking $100 but didn't have the rabos kit so I said I'd pass, he said $75 and take it with you. Sold!
Not that my RS II's really need the low end help but the price was right.

Fast forward to a week ago...doing my several times daily "Infinity" ebay browsing I come across a pair of Infinitesimals (listed as 1.0 but turns out they are 2.0 I think. Looks like clear poly cones and screw on oak side trim pieces) BIN $250 and very reasonable shipping fee. Clicked the BIN. Hopefully they work as advertised, if so I will strip and refinish the wood. Pictures after they get here and I am sure all is well. The last pair of Infinitesimals I "bought" on ebay ($24.99 *gasp* BIN) seller said he goofed and cancelled the sale, said it was supposed to be an auction and not a BIN. Hopefully this deal happens and they are as described.

SO---2.0 Infinitesimals and IL120s subwoofer, will that make a good combination?

Last edited:
3 or 4 weeks ago I picked up an Interlude IL120s sub at a garage sale for $75. Seller was asking $100 but didn't have the rabos kit so I said I'd pass, he said $75 and take it with you. Sold!
Not that my RS II's really need the low end help but the price was right.

Fast forward to a week ago...doing my several times daily "Infinity" ebay browsing I come across a pair of Infinitesimals (listed as 1.0 but turns out they are 2.0) BIN $250 and very reasonable shipping fee. Clicked the BIN. Hopefully they work as advertised, if so I will strip and refinish the wood. Pictures after they get here and I am sure all is well. The last pair of Infinitesimals I "bought" on ebay ($24.99 *gasp* BIN) seller said he goofed and cancelled the sale, said it was supposed to be an auction and not a BIN. Hopefully this deal happens and they are as described.

SO---2.0 Infinitesimals and IL120s subwoofer, will that make a good combination?

Not too many people own these subs here on Audiokarma. Never paired my il120s when i used to own one. I have however paired my intermezzo 1.2s and it sounds great! :) I actually saw those pop up on ebay, was debating buying them. The sub might seem a little too boomy with the infinitesimals, but that'll go away if you are able to use a RABOS kit. Make sure you set the crossover at 80hz or higher to take a lot of stress of the infinitesimals. My friend and I set our mezzo's at 90-100hz and we've found that works best. Good idea on refinishing the wood, they tend to dry out being 35+ years old. Let us know how everything works out and post some pictures when you get them.

I tend to crossover my sub a little higher than some might so that shouldn't be a problem.
I was wondering about the combo due to the sub being so big and has quite a bit of output and if it would overwhelm the little Infinitesimals.
They have some dings and scrapes on the woodwork but nothing I can't make better.
Evidently the cabinet/housing itself is aluminum though I thought they were plastic. If aluminum I might even refinish that, it seems like the majority of them I've seen have scrapes and such which made me think they were plastic.
Only things missing seems to be the little Infinity logos on the front.

At least they have been shipped and are on their way, much better than my previous attempt at getting Infinitesimals.

Boom!
Wow!
Doing some listening last night with the new to me IL120s sub and my RS II's.
Hit the "Phase" switch to "180" and the bass went from tubby and flabby to crisp, clean, and clear.
Wasn't expecting that audible of a change.

I found a RABOS kit and was reading the instruction book last night.
It says set controls to flat at source, I assume also set EQ to flat?

Any helpful hints for using the RABOS kit?
Hope to do that in the next few days.
Bought a 4 pack of 9 Volt batteries as Google search shows the meter is a battery eater.

Boom!
Wow!
Doing some listening last night with the new to me IL120s sub and my RS II's.
Hit the "Phase" switch to "180" and the bass went from tubby and flabby to crisp, clean, and clear.
Wasn't expecting that audible of a change.

I found a RABOS kit and was reading the instruction book last night.
It says set controls to flat at source, I assume also set EQ to flat?

Any helpful hints for using the RABOS kit?
Hope to do that in the next few days.
Bought a 4 pack of 9 Volt batteries as Google search shows the meter is a battery eater.

Before starting ANY of the RABOS set up, set all 3 RABOS dials on the sub to the fully clockwise position and make sure your RABOS switch on the sub is on. Makes sure all loudness and tone adjusters are set to "0/zero" "off" "flat" or "bypass" on your preamp, amp, and sub. Then begin the RABOS tests. Once all the tests are done and after you have plugged in your results on the online RABOS page, turn all the RABOS dials on your sub back to the fully counter clockwise position and adjust them accordingly. Lastly, let us know how everything turns out. :)

Thanks for the advice. I am taking notes.
The RABOS instructions state make sure your speakers have a high pass filter and make sure it is engaged...not sure what this means and pretty sure my RS II's do not have a high pass filter.

Did the RABOS setup over the weekend.
Went fine and was pleased that the second set of "quicker" tones gave the same readings the first set of tones.
Not sure why all the talk about the RABOS meter being a battery eater, I did it all on the same battery.
Guess I won't have to buy smoke detector or CO2 batteries for a while.
So I did some listening, sounds ok, nothing earth shattering....
THEN I REREAD Infinity!'s post above....
Talk about kind of confusing or maybe I didn't read the instructions all the way to the end....
First step is set all RABOS pots to Full Clockwise.
But the adjustments after RABOS determines the width, freq, level are to be done from Full COUNTERCLOCKWISE.
Guess I missed that part so I adjusted from Full Clockwise.
I have now made the CORRECT adjustments just need to find time for some listening.

When it rains or pours
OR
I may have a problem....(hoarder/completist)

Purchased a RABOS kit on ebay 2 weeks ago for $20
Complete with box, angle finder, meter, cd and instructions, pouch, etc...but the cd case was broke and it was missing the SPECIAL (actually any small screwdriver will work) Infinity adjustment tool.So I picked up another kit over the weekend for even less than the first kit.
I don't think I have a problem....just wanted a complete kit in good condition. Between the two I should be able to make one complete kit.

Last edited:
Did the RABOS setup over the weekend.
Went fine and was pleased that the second set of "quicker" tones gave the same readings the first set of tones.
Not sure why all the talk about the RABOS meter being a battery eater, I did it all on the same battery.
Guess I won't have to buy smoke detector or CO2 batteries for a while.
So I did some listening, sounds ok, nothing earth shattering....
THEN I REREAD Infinity!'s post above....
Talk about kind of confusing or maybe I didn't read the instructions all the way to the end....
First step is set all RABOS pots to Full Clockwise.
But the adjustments after RABOS determines the width, freq, level are to be done from Full COUNTERCLOCKWISE.
Guess I missed that part so I adjusted from Full Clockwise.
I have now made the CORRECT adjustments just need to find time for some listening.

When it rains or pours
OR
I may have a problem....(hoarder/completist)

Purchased a RABOS kit on ebay 2 weeks ago for $20
Complete with box, angle finder, meter, cd and instructions, pouch, etc...but the cd case was broke and it was missing the SPECIAL (actually any small screwdriver will work) Infinity adjustment tool.So I picked up another kit over the weekend for even less then the first kit.
I don't think I have a problem....just wanted a complete kit in good condition. Between the two I should be able to make one complete kit.

Hey, glad to hear that u were able to get everything set up and done! :thumbsup: I did the same thing when i first used the RABOS kit (accidentally leaving the dials fully clockwise). Lol

Cant beleive you were able to grab another kit for cheaper than $20... that's awesome!! Let us know once you have set everything up and make sure to post some pics! :)

Before doing the RABOS I'd read your post and read the instruction manual up through the testing, stopping before turn dials to FCCW. Ooops.
I finally did some serious listening but it was only one CD and it was a live album, need to listen to a couple familiar studio albums before I make a decision on better or not after RABOS.

I did post some pictures in the other thread, one of them of the big (RS II), the little (Infinitesimal) and the short and wide (IL120s sub).

The second RABOS kit (it was $15) was a fluke.
It didn't show up during my numerous daily bookmarked "Infinity" in vintage electronics searches.
It was listed under audio visual accessories.
I had not cancelled my previous RABOS alerts so the alert was sent to my email.

Last edited:
Congrats on the find :) thats is an excelent sub and a great set of book shelves. I never owned both simultaneously, so I'v never had the chance to pair them. Iv curently got my Infintesimals hooked up with a Velodyne 8" minivee. Its a good sub (especially for the size) but nothing compared to that IL120S. With RABOS it will never disappoint. The only reason I ever sold mine was because I upgraded to the Internezzo 1.2s. Nice score on the RABOS by the way I paid 75 for mine and the mic was broken! By the way be careful with the mic, iv had several fail on me and they weren't made super well to begin with. Anyways, happy listening :)

Between the two kits I have everything in good to excellent condition except for the graph sheets so I'm happy considering the money spent. Both RABOS meters work and those are the biggest part of the price I would think.
I used a camera tripod when I ran the test so it was just click pause several times then remove and put in box when done testing.
I dialed in the IL120s with the RS II's, they don't really need the bass help but what the heck it doesn't hurt either.
For now the Infinitesimals are on their own but the sub is an option in the future.

Back
Top Bottom