InfiniTesimals

No doubt that is the 0.1.
Another difference with the 0.2 and 0.1 is the cabinet. Cabinets are both robust but IMO the 0.2 is better. It is a 5 sided solid aluminum box with a front baffle. The 0.1 are a 3 sided lumnum box with a front baffle with plastic tops and bottoms. They all look like the same cabinet but if you take them apart you can see the 0.2 and 0.3 have superior cabinet design. 0.3 is missing the Watkins woofer but is still a very good speaker...btw I have owned or own all three and if you switched them out one from the other without me knowing I doubt I could tell the difference all three are very good for their size.
Jim

Thank you for the info, I really appreciate it! I hope the 1's don't suck, because I just bought the pair! Thank you again for taking the time! ~Leigh

If you have any issues, just ask us.
I purchased a pair off ebay a couple years ago and had to totally rebuild them.
Purchase price was a SCORE price but by the time I had replaced the EMITs and paid to have the mid/woofers drivers repaired I could have bought a nice working pair. I did not know when I bought them all 4 drivers were bad.
But then I wouldn't have learned anything, and wouldn't have the pride of making them totally functional and cosmetically nice myself.

Last edited:
Thank you so much!!! I'm so glad I found you guys! I would also like any input on what amp/receiver to hook up to them. We have a great store in Seattle that deals with and sells lots of vintage stereo, so they could probably help me. But although I know what I like the sound of, I'm not knowledgeable about how components work together. For instance, I read a comment from someone who said that they blew the speakers by using too weak/low power of an amp. I would not have guessed that that's how things work...I would be happy with any info if something comes to mind.

Thank you again,
Leigh

Are Infinitesimal Micros in the ballpark with these, or a couple of neighborhoods away?
I have an original pair with sub, they sound decent, but I have not heard the originals...

JMO, the 1.0 and 2.0 can be run with a receiver (they are rated as 4 ohm speakers but I've never heard anyone say they are hard on amps/receivers, running more than one pair at the same time might not be good though), and would work for a small to maybe medium size room.
Even though they have the Watkins DVC mid/woofs they don't go real low. Some owners use subwoofers with them.

I don't know anything about the micros. Maybe someone with experience with those will offer an opinion.

JMO, the 1.0 and 2.0 can be run with a receiver (they are rated as 4 ohm speakers but I've never heard anyone say they are hard on amps/receivers, running more than one pair at the same time might not be good though), and would work for a small to maybe medium size room.
Even though they have the Watkins DVC mid/woofs they don't go real low. Some owners use subwoofers with them.

I don't know anything about the micros. Maybe someone with experience with those will offer an opinion.
I don't know, but to me, 4 ohm means don't skimp on power. I understand it's a static rating, but if you can feed them more power (depending on what you're doing with them), I'd do it. Mine are just rear channels right now, but I still don't like them being attached to a receiver.

It really depends on how loudly you will want to be playing them. I use my Infinitesimals with a lowly Pioneer SX-680 and they sound GREAT. But it’s a bedroom system and it’s never blasting.

I have a pair of Infinitessimal 0.3 hooked up as front speakers to my Yamaha RX A-1070 5.1 surround system, and they are working out fine. I do have the crossover point set to 80Hz, and the system subwoofer fills in below that. But I am aware that my conception of "loud" may not be the same as everyone else. I'm listening to Gabriel Fauré's chamber music on my big system as I type this.

I have a pair of 0.1 Infinitesimals in my bedroom system and love them. Remarkable sound. I had a pair of the Modulus speakers, great sound but missing the lower end that the Watkins woofer provides in the Infinitesimals.

Hi guys,
I realize this is quite a old post but hoping someone can help me, I purchased a pair of Infinity Infintesimals 0.2 back in 1980 used them for a while then they sat for quite a few years up on a shelf in our garage. I happened to notice them a couple days ago and thought I would hook them up. My current system is a pair of Pass Labs Aleph 2's, ARC LS2B, Accuphase DP65 and a custom Janis crossover and Sub. So I hook them up and turn everything on and warmed up for a couple of hours and was pleasantly surprised by their sound quality but quickly noticed that sound stage was off. After checking the speakers I noticed one of them had a tweeter that wasn't working. I checked the fuse and it was blown, so I installed another fuse and I could have sworn the tweeter was now working sound stage snapped into place. I continued to listen and I have to admit I was quite amazed at their sound quality. After playing a few more songs I noticed the sound stage had shifted to the left again, "speaker in question was on the rh side" I'm sure you all knew that. :)
Checked the fuse and it is still good, talked to a gentlemen that sells diaphragms for the EMITS and told me to take the tweeter out and meter it, said it should meter out at approx. 3 ohms so I metered this one and it was at 3.0 ohms. So I'm thinking I must have something going on in the crossover and no clue on what to test or look for? I know most if not all parts are NLA for this old gem, kind of hate to give up on it. :) With the right amp they would make some killer speakers for my garage!
Thanks in advance
Pete

Interesting how there were two similar problems, posted by two new AK users, within the last few minutes.

Recapping is in order; get the capacitor values from the crossovers and purchase replacements. This is likely the problem (and even if not, it should be done for speakers of this age). It's OK if the new caps have a higher voltage rating than before, but other values should be the same (and of course ensure you use non-polarized caps).

Thank you Swechsler, Looking at my speaker to get to the crossover I take it that I need to unscrew the 6 bolts on the front of the speaker and separate the front panel from the speaker? And where is the other post that was having the same problems? :)

Thanks Pete

Thank you Swechsler, Looking at my speaker to get to the crossover I take it that I need to unscrew the 6 bolts on the front of the speaker and separate the front panel from the speaker? And where is the other post that was having the same problems? :)
Right here.

I don't own a pair of original Infinitesimals so I can't help with disassembly, but there are plenty of posts here on AK from people who have done this sort of work, so a quick search here should find what you're looking for.

Yes, remove the screens (6 screws) and oak end pieces (4 screws each) then remove the 6 screws and the front baffle should pull off.
NOTE--the wires are not real long so most likely you will want to disconnect the drivers.
MAKE SURE YOU LABEL THE FOUR WOOFER WIRES.
A small (jewelers type) screwdriver helps in removing the woofer and especially the EMIT from the baffle. Be careful not to slip and end up poking the woofer or EMIT.

I have several EMITs, the ohms range from 3.0 to 3.5 on mine.
Also, did you check the fuse with a meter? Or try another known good fuse?
"Looks good" is not good enough.

You also might try giving the "tweeter" and "contour" switches a good work out and/or cleaning.

Last edited:
Thank You Goodolpg,
My next question was going to be how long are the wires LOL. So I will pull both drivers before removing the front baffle, I did check the fuse with a meter and it is good. When I get home I'm going to clean the terminals on the tweeter and exercise both switches before I pull the front baffle, They sat unused for well over 10 years so I'm sure there is some oxidation especially be stored in a non climate controlled area up in Kalkaska " one of Michigan's lovely snow belts" :)

Pete

Thank You Goodolpg,
My next question was going to be how long are the wires LOL. So I will pull both drivers before removing the front baffle, I did check the fuse with a meter and it is good. When I get home I'm going to clean the terminals on the tweeter and exercise both switches before I pull the front baffle, They sat unused for well over 10 years so I'm sure there is some oxidation especially be stored in a non climate controlled area up in Kalkaska " one of Michigan's lovely snow belts" :)

Pete

I took a short road trip with a truck driver friend last week, to Williamsburg. It was his last over the road run.
We took some back road off 131, turning before the shoe tree.
Is the shoe tree still there?

I mentioned in another thread, I had an EMIT problem with one of my Infinitesimals, took me a while to find it. As you will see, there is putty (or should be) where the EMIT wires go through the front baffle. Some of the putty had gotten into one of the connectors that pushes onto the EMIT terminals.

I'm not sure on the shoe tree is it north of town? I'll have to check the next time I'm up there, it's our cabin that's up in that neck of the woods our home is in St. Johns. And yes there is some type of sealer putty that I'm assuming I'll have to deal with if I end having to pull the baffle.

Back
Top Bottom