Infinity 7 Kappa. opinions?

All of my 5" polycone midranges do read 4.0-4.2 ohms.
They (not mine just in general) are almost always available on ebay if someone wanted to make this change.

If someone already has good polydome s.
They could pick up the polycones and do the comparison. Since there is no cabinet alteration. Maybe create a quick release and install mechanism that would allow easy change out for different music? Am I crazy for thinking that?

Dark sounding speakers, unfavorably compared against many pairs of Infinity/JBL/ADS speakers I've owned.

There's a thread here that compares the polydome mid with the EMIM -- and the polydome has a very small mid response that was unpleasant by itself.

Only thing I really liked about the speakers were the EMITs and the IMG woofers and cabinet design. Good tweeter and bass responses and quality construction.
Has a similar comparison been done between the OEM polydomes and the new replacement product?

I've wondered before about exchanging a 5" polycone for the smaller/long lasting polydome (RS, not Kappa) in my RSM's
Have all the stuff but it appears cabinet modifications and possibly some creative trimmimg of the polydome face plate may be needed so I decided not to try it.

Has a similar comparison been done between the OEM polydomes and the new replacement product?

If you search polydome mm 2150 4 , you should come up with some links and reviews. Midwest speaker repair has a 4ohm replacement. Many out there are 6 and 8 ohm. The kappas are 4 ohm. They say that the replacement has a brighter sound.

Yes I just posted about them. bought a pair. Their order form only offers 8 or 4 ohm. I got the 4 ohm

That is a good price and I would definitely jump on them. It looks like you are a horn guy based on your signature, I was too until I got my 7s. I traded my Heresies for them and for the first couple of days found the mids very laid back, but once you get used to that you will find them to be much more detailed with a more natural decay. They also handle delicate sounds much better. The upper mid bass of the 7 is its main weakness and that is because the woofer goes up to 800hz, its nothing major but something I noticed after a lot of listening. The polygraph in the 8 and 9 kappa take care of that issue.
That's what makes those woofers prime candidates to pair with electrostatic panels. JansZens play down to just about 600Hz but used the worst possible woofer for the low end and it really killed their chances for great game way back in the 60s. Swapping them out with a set of these is like magic beyond belief but you'll need some big amps that can do 2Ω loads of you do it right you'll end up with 2 sets of these and the final cherry on top that every electrostatic needs a good old fashion BBE maximizer with the settings left at zero. It just needs to be turned on and the 3rd dimension of sound clicks right inside your head. The beaming disappears and once the song hits those deep bass notes you'll feel the part of what's been missing.

Well for me anyway, sad thing is it has all come to an end for me, a house fire has claimed all 28 of my electrostatic panels! Melted like a chocolate bar, however the woofers survived somehow and I'm headed to go test my amplifiers in a few minutes. QSC makes some durable stuff but can it handle a fire then sprayed with water while they were plugged in and turned on with nothing playing?

It's too early for me to post pictures it will only sadden me more deeply. I came to this post because I see there's a set of 7s available locally for $200 and I was thinking I might need those woofed to start over I haven't tested mine yet and I wasn't sure if the 7s had the 12" or 10" (believe it or not I got mine from a huge car sub box that had 2 mounted with 2 other mixed brands of cheap car subs for $25). I knew they were kappas just never new exactly which model till now.

Did they ever make a dual 12 kappa?

That's what makes those woofers prime candidates to pair with electrostatic panels. JansZens play down to just about 600Hz but used the worst possible woofer for the low end and it really killed their chances for great game way back in the 60s. Swapping them out with a set of these is like magic beyond belief but you'll need some big amps that can do 2Ω loads of you do it right you'll end up with 2 sets of these and the final cherry on top that every electrostatic needs a good old fashion BBE maximizer with the settings left at zero. It just needs to be turned on and the 3rd dimension of sound clicks right inside your head. The beaming disappears and once the song hits those deep bass notes you'll feel the part of what's been missing.

Well for me anyway, sad thing is it has all come to an end for me, a house fire has claimed all 28 of my electrostatic panels! Melted like a chocolate bar, however the woofers survived somehow and I'm headed to go test my amplifiers in a few minutes. QSC makes some durable stuff but can it handle a fire then sprayed with water while they were plugged in and turned on with nothing playing?

It's too early for me to post pictures it will only sadden me more deeply. I came to this post because I see there's a set of 7s available locally for $200 and I was thinking I might need those woofed to start over I haven't tested mine yet and I wasn't sure if the 7s had the 12" or 10" (believe it or not I got mine from a huge car sub box that had 2 mounted with 2 other mixed brands of cheap car subs for $25). I knew they were kappas just never new exactly which model till now.

Did they ever make a dual 12 kappa?

Subwoofer sww212 has dual 12 inch kappa woofers (img) I have one I made passive.

Back
Top Bottom