Infinity Column IIs - need some work

filmis

I may come into the acquisition of some Infinity Column IIs - wondering what people's opinion on these speakers are in general. Woofers need to be refoamed, looks like there's kits online for pretty cheap. Worth the project? I've never refoamed something before, am I likely to be successful?

Thanks.

I have Column II's I bought new back in the mid-70's that are my main speakers for all things audio at my house. When mine needed re-foaming I was convinced not to re-cone them as the paper cones do sound different. I'm glad I did. I had never done a re-foam either before this time either.
The key is to take your time. Clean the old surround off the cone well. I actually scraped the edges of the cones with an x-acto knife to clean them off.
I then glued one edge at a time on the new surround. First to the cone, next day to the frame. I didn't use shims, but rather the 'push' method to make sure they were centered. I can proudly say they sound as good now as they did when new.
Good luck and ask questions if you've got them.
The guys and gals here at AK are great when it comes to helping.

I just snagged a pair myself. They're great speakers and far better than anything you can get new for less than $2,000. In fact, they sold for $6,000+ in today's dollars when they were new. Plus they're vintage Infinity so they're super cool!

Refoaming is not hard, and it's a great skill to develop. It opens up lots of vintage speakers to you that can be had for very cheap. I admit it's a little intimidating at first, but you'll get it. Just watch some videos on Youtube. I would also not cut away the dustcap and use shims. Just play a 30hz test tone at low volume while the glue is drying and they'll center themselves. Easy.

Remember that the Column II has a bottom firing woofer as well as a front firing, so there are 4 total.

I also have a pair of Column II speakers I bought new in the '70s. I re-foamed them as well, they sound as good as ever. Well worth the effort!! Do it, you will be pleased. They do like a hefty amp to drive them, I have a Pioneer SX-1050 (120 wpc) I bought to go with them. If you decide not to acquire them yourself I am interested.

Back
Top Bottom