Infinity Crescendo CS-3007 restoration

Midranges gluing.

CS3007-09.jpg

All the factory dust caps and trim rings glued back on. By the way, if you're buying glue, you only need enough black glue for the cone to surround joint, and the dust caps. The surround to the basket can be done with Aleene's Tacky Glue, as can the trim rings. I did two pairs worth (12 drivers) with just one little bottle of black glue.

CS3007-10.jpg

Crossover caps replaced with Erse Audio electrolytics, circled in red. These are shunt caps for the woofer and midrange circuits.

CS3007-11.jpg

The 42uF electrolytic in the signal path of the midrange was replaced with this piggy-back arrangement of a 39uF and 3.3uF film. Can you see how it's a problem replacing with film due to their sheer physical size?

CS3007-12.jpg

Last edited:
Did you find the midrange foams were worn out, or preventative replacement? I ask because of my 2 pairs each (3009 and 3007) the midrange foams are fine while I've replaced all the woofer foams.

Both the midrange and woofer foams were rotten. But since the midrange doesn't do anything like the cone excursion of the woofers, it likely won't show or experience a problem. Both pairs of mine were definitely rotten though.

Lee.

That's interesting, mine are fine. I wonder what the difference is/was?

By fine, i mean that they move linearly when I press on them, no cracks or thin spots on any of them, and when I press on the cone itself, they move properly, without any evidence of thinning/breakage.

I live in the desert southwest.

That's interesting, mine are fine. I wonder what the difference is/was?

By fine, i mean that they move linearly when I press on them, no cracks or thin spots on any of them, and when I press on the cone itself, they move properly, without any evidence of thinning/breakage.

I live in the desert southwest.
Environment makes a difference in foam degradation. I think ozone might be the important factor.

at 20 watts, your crescendos are not giving anywhere near what they are capable of, which is why the highs might seem recessed. the emit-r is amazing when fed the watts it wants, and the same goes for the IMG drivers. those speakers won't really wake up unless you give them 100 watts (or more). 20 watts is less than the absolute minimum recommended power and can actually lead to damaging the emits.

not to argue, but I've never EVER blown an EMIT, and I drive mine with anything from 10 wpc to 350 wpc. most of the time you are pushing far less then 10 watts to the 3007s.

signed current owner of 2 pair of CS 3007, 2 pair of cs 3009, one pair ren 90, one pair kappa 8.1, one pair rs 4, one pair Qa, two pairs infinitesimals .3/.4.

midrange foam is still good on all speakers.

not to argue, but I've never EVER blown an EMIT, and I drive mine with anything from 10 wpc to 350 wpc. most of the time you are pushing far less then 10 watts to the 3007s.

signed current owner of 2 pair of CS 3007, 2 pair of cs 3009, one pair ren 90, one pair kappa 8.1, one pair rs 4, one pair Qa, two pairs infinitesimals .3/.4.

midrange foam is still good on all speakers.

Agreed. I think it would be EXTREMELY difficult, if not damn near impossible to blow an EMIT/EMIT-R in most Infinites for the simple reason that they are very well protected with a pair of diodes in parallel and a thermal circuit breaker in series. I recall seeing tests that show that those diodes kick in very early, and soon after the thermal breaker does its thing. I have a a pair of 3009's that I've tested them in my very large, absorbent room with a big BGW that does around 300/channel. I turned it up until the the clipping lights started to flicker to "see what they could do" and that wasn't enough to trigger the thermal breakers, although the diodes may have been protecting them. The EMITs in my much older 2.5's aren't protected (the woofers have a huge series cap which should offer some protection), but in all the newer models the tweeters have this double layer of protection (as well as the series cap on the woofer). As a former warranty manager for a large consumer electronics company I know full well that one warranty claim will eliminate any profit made on the sale of a product, and Infinity knew exactly what to do to prevent that from happening, and they succeeded. If you're a purist you can safely remove all this protection if you aren't prone to playing them at crazy levels.BTW I'm not sure what I did to cause this last edit to be crossed out LOL!

Last edited:
Still keeping this thread alive.....
I was wondering if anyone has a spare 8" plastic trim ring laying around or knows where I could source one. I need it to complete my restoration of a pair of Infinity Creshendo 3007's. One woofer and its trim ring were missing from one of the speakers, so I'm trying to lay hands on one.

I had the same issue with my 3009s, surrounds for the mid-range were too small, where do I order the right one's? Also when I refinished my 3009s the stuffing that was behind the mid-range & mid-bass was lost. does anyone know how much stuffing went in there by weight? I have acousta-stuff.

I had the same issue with my 3009s, surrounds for the mid-range were too small, where do I order the right one's? Also when I refinished my 3009s the stuffing that was behind the mid-range & mid-bass was lost. does anyone know how much stuffing went in there by weight? I have acousta-stuff.

Tom at myaudioaddiction has the right surrounds.

As for the stuffing, just stuff it.

Lee.

Funny time warp!

I currently own 3 pairs of 3007 including the pair my brother will not let go unless I swap him one of my pairs of 3009,

I really, really love the sound of these speakers in small-normal sized bedrooms, all the volume you can want, they sound dead flat (until I side by side them with my ren 90's, or maggies 2.5r) and the bass is great.

The pair I just picked up I picked up because I needed a woofer refoam, and it turns out that pairs spiders were torn (evenly,) so I picked up another pair with really bad looking emits and what looked like one torn midrange surround. Both were gonzo so I have them in my local shop for refoaming, swapped the recently refoamed woofers from the damaged new purchase into my existing 3007 and they're singing again.

as far as I'm concerned, in any room except a large living room or larger space, the 3007 is absolutely the sweet spot for the crescendo line. The 3009's are far too bass heavy in any but the largest rooms, imo. (but in a large room, they're great)

All three of mine contain the same amount of polyfill, fills the cabinet about halfway, although one pair had half of that amount up high in the cabinet held in place with something like scotch tape to the high cross braces.

My 3007s can blow the roof off. But my room is so small, that even 3006s would be on the verge of too big. It requires a lot of EQing to make them sound good. When they are flat there is at least a +6 dB gain on the bass. Lol
I think I might have put the wrong foam on the midranges, I will check tonight, but should I reform it again or just not worry about it?

I've bought a pair of 3007s. The woofers foams are rotted and pushing the cone in it have a scraping sound. A friend has a meter to check them with but I'm afraid they're blown. If I have to replace them I'm thinking the Dayton aluminum cones are a size match but I don't know what they will sound like. Maybe a designer series will sound better?

Have your friend check them with their meter after you have removed them from the cabinets. Woofers with rotted foam always sound worse than they are, since it's not easy to push the cone in exactly in alignment with the voice coil and pole pieces. Fingers crossed they are not blown.

Lee.

It's nice to see this post resurrected again. I recently refoamed my 3008's. I believe the surrounds and black glue came from Midwest Speakers. I used the 30HZ tone method for centering and now wondering if I should have shimmed. One of the woofers snap/crackles a bit only at high volume/excursion. It was hard to notice until I bi-amped and ran the woofs only. They don't have the bracing that the 3007's do and enclosure resonance is leading me to believe they need it. Woofer repair, bracing, t-nuts for the woofer mount, and crossover recap are all still on the agenda for them.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....s-cs3008-very-impressed.848292/#post-12212196

it likely won't show
Hi Lee, The woofer surrounds in my 3006's recently gave up the ghost. Just tonight I replaced with ones from Tom. The mids are 'intact' however I wonder if you mean won't show cosmetically -- the physics of the degraded, old surround material would effect performance of the midrange I should think. The new material's elasticity is far superior. My gut says go ahead and order the mid surrounds and put 'em in there. Y703 part number. You did the caps, too, I see. Nice work.

Last edited:
Have a pair of 3006s for my home theatre listening area. With two receivers using the setup mic, it assigns one +4.5db and the other 0.0db. I switched sides and the +4.5db boost followed the speaker to the other side(i.e. not the amp, definitely the speaker). I've refoamed both the mid and the woofer myself, for the record.

Any idea what is causing this? Cap problem, need to be replaced? Would bi-amping help the issue or isolate the problem? I have a Denon x4200.

All that being said I've had three sets of front speakers come through my hands and they still are the best.

Back
Top Bottom