Infinity IL60 Speaker hack wanted!

BusterMan

I've recently came into a pair of Infinity IL60 Interlude speakers. The drivers are all good. The amplifiers are completely missing but the crossovers are still there. Hoping to somehow just hook up the woofer (subwoofer?) using an L-pad or 4 way crossover or some other hack. They still sound quite good so I'm leaning toward a "good enough" low budget solution as opposed to parting them out. Any and all suggestions appreciated, thanks in advance!

I don't know anything about these speakers but do the amps just feed into the crossovers, or did they have some kind of multi amped setup? If the former, there would be one input to the crossover, and it seems you could just hook up any amp to them.

Edit: After looking at some specs online at CNET I'm confused about what you have exactly. Are you saying the powered sub amp is dead? If the crossover is already there why would you need a 4-way crossover to run a sub driver? Explain a bit more please.

E4F90C2D-050D-4230-8FD5-ABBE62BD85C5.png CD0E434F-4238-45F6-83B4-7A4BB931BCA3.png I believe the amp was only to drive the 12 inch woofer, but I don't know for sure. Found a service manual at hifiengene which has some info.

So, you need a low-pass crossover of some sort to feed signal to an amp to drive the subs. Got it.

Do you have an HT receiver? Some of those have an internal crossover with a sub out feature.

I thought there was a simple inexpensive gadget that would do this, basically an outboard crossover or low pass filter that you put in line between receiver and sub (or sub amp in this case). Can't put my finger on it at the moment.

I assume you would run the main speakers as is, they would just be plugged into whatever receiver/amp you want to drive them with instead of into the main out jacks on the sub amp (which of course is gone).

Another option is to replace the plate amps, but even with aftermarket ones it would cost you some hundreds to do it right.

I think the top one might work. I have no rca type connections at all. The speaker terminals on the back are connected to the crossover, which is then connected to the 3 front firing drivers. The wires from the side firing woofer are not presently connected to anything but they work if I connect them directly to the speaker input terminals. So I could put this in the signal path to the woofer? Are there any impedance worries by doing this? Thanks for your help!

I'm having trouble visualizing this system. Does it have a separate subwoofer cabinet, or are the subs the side firing drivers inside the main speaker cabinets and powered by their own internal amps?

In any case, the way you would use that RCA filter gadget is to take a preamp-out or line-out (i.e. tape out) signal from your receiver/amp, run it through the filter, and then into a second receiver/amp with its own volume control. Then use the speaker outputs from that to connect directly to the sub drivers.

If the missing plate amps created a hole in the speaker cabinet, that's going to be a problem though.

The subs share the cabinet with the other speakers. The plate amp for the subs is gone, but the actual plate that covers the hole is there so that's OK. I will order some parts and give it a try. Thanks for all the help!

Any update BusterMan? I have a pair of these and the plate amps are generating a nasty hum. Thanks...

Back
Top Bottom