Infinity Kappa 6.1 score

nyhifihead

Hey all I was able to pick up some Infinity Kappa 6.1 floorstanders

U9bPPbY.jpg

So far as expected for a craigslist find, woofers need refoam and one of the EMIT-R is bad. open circuit when checking continuity, this one looks sort of beat up too like like 2 minor gashes in the ribbon part.

would this even produce sound correctly if repaired? I wouldn't have a problem doing a DIY repair.

Its the 902-5754 BTW and I have 2 questions

1) is this a generic EMIT-R style that is shared with many other infinity that I see on the bay quite often or do you think I will have to abide by the serial numbers for fear of mismatched sound?
2) if the sound would be mismatched do you think buying a identical pair of EMIT-R from another infinity loudspeaker would be the best solution?

XNWOoLF.jpg

I've also found there are these plastic beauty rings glued rather heavily onto the outer of the foam surround. any tips how to get these plastic rings off the best?

p1gzdtR.jpg

very impressed by all the hardware of these Kappa 6.1s. The interior wiring for the crossover is the nicest and thickest awg I've ever seen.

Can't wait to get these fully up and running to see how they compare to my PSB image 6Ts

I replaced an emit-r on one my 6.1's last summer. I waited and waited for an exact part# match (902-5754) and bought a nice pair (1 spare) on the "ePay" for $90. The different part #'s use different magnets and have different markings. All emit-r's are not created equal.

I've seen a few postings on this forum about carefully using a heat gun or hot hair dryer to remove the plastic rings on the IMG Woofers. Being technically able but physically disabled, I sent my woofers out for repair to Simply Speakers and was very happy with their workmanship (no affiliation). Miller Sound (Philadelphia ??) also comes Highly Recommended by many on this board.

Ive had my 6.1's since '94 and they have never sounded any better than they do ATM. I advise you to drive them with Plenty-o-Power and although this is often debated here, I believe mine "came alive" after being bi-amped! :guitar:

Looks like your polydomes are in pretty good shape but while you are in "repair mode" you might want to think about cleaning and treating them.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=654523
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpWldxVX4aQ

Good luck and ENJOY :thmbsp:

To get the rings off without snapping then to bits takes patience and heat. I heated up an exacto knife and slowly jammed it around until it popped off.

Cant answer your question re replacement ( technical neophyte )
stans comments sound right . But if I had any questions at all re emits or polydomes or anything else Infinity I would give Bill at Miller sound a call . Hes easy to get hold of and a pleasure to talk to . ( I learned lesson re hermetiically sealed woofer faceplates the hard way ) had to send them to bill .. I was not about to look around for my flamethrower to remove those suckers :pistols:
Had a nine round bout with them and they cleaned my clock ..
( I have mine bi amped probably not enough juice but still great )
Hope you get them up and running .:thmbsp:

Thanks for the replies. Going to attempt using a heat gun i used for some auto repairs for the rings, hopefully it pans out

also keeping an eye out for the tweeter on ebay 902-5754

bump, just rotated these into my main system

9HoHltC.jpg

they seriously scale so well with the source & amplification. I have them hooked up to my krell KAV-250 right now and they sound sublime, much "easier" to listen to than my unforgiving NHT 3.3s

when I make my own speakers sometime soon they will have a dome midrange for sure...

edit- forgot to mention that I refoamed the IMGs in 2015 and about 6 months ago got the matching tweeter, so they are 100% functional.

Last edited:
Luv that sub. You make it?

yea, its DIY, driver is a 18" stereo integrity sub. 4" voice coil rated 1200wrms. it's in a doubled up 3/4 MDF 6 cu ft sealed enclosure tuned to 25hz. The sealed enclosure gives it great bandwidth and it's the cleanest and deepest bass I've heard. 15hz pressurizes the entire 24x16 room!

I need to carpet the box though, the wood is a bit raw, the driver itself looks really nice though

fKwtbbu.jpg

214e9b8c-6999-47e1-99f3-07fe2e9cc72f

yea, its DIY, driver is a 18" stereo integrity sub. 4" voice coil rated 1200wrms. it's in a doubled up 3/4 MDF 6 cu ft sealed enclosure tuned to 25hz. The sealed enclosure gives it great bandwidth and it's the cleanest and deepest bass I've heard. 15hz pressurizes the entire 24x16 room!

I need to carpet the box though, the wood is a bit raw, the driver itself looks really nice though

fKwtbbu.jpg

214e9b8c-6999-47e1-99f3-07fe2e9cc72f
No wonder you had to re drywall that room! ;)

Back
Top Bottom