Infinity kappa 6

I'm not having much luck locating these surrounds. I contacted 'looneytune2001' on eBay and said he doesn't have any. I also found out that Rick Cobb is the same person while searching. I also contacted millersound with no response. I'm wondering if they sell kits or just rebuild speakers? Anywhere else before I get on eBay and take my chances 4 times in a row hahahah ..thank you

You should do fine with either one. I've used both companies in the past and been happy with the results. Simply Speakers makes it a little harder to identify, but if you click on the "Fits Models" tab you will see Kappa 6 listed (second line towards the right). I used SS for the surrounds to refoam my Kappa 9s. Both supply a proper glue for the job. Good luck with the project.

Last edited:
You should do fine with either one. I've used both companies in the past and been happy with the results. Simply Speakers makes it a little harder to identify, but if you click on the "Fits Models" tab you will see Kappa 6 listed. I used SS for the surrounds to refoam my Kappa 9s. Both supply a proper glue for the job. Good luck with the project.

There is a lot of them on simply speakers. I can't find any for kappa 6. Are the kappa 6 referred to as rs kappa 6?

Attachments

• 15136124597751566731458.jpg
    15136124597751566731458.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 16
As I recall I did this procedure on my 9s. The same thing should work on yours. Patience is key. Frame removal starts at the 2 minute mark.

Last edited:
Well I did get them both off. I slightly heated the plastic and they came off pretty easy. The glue/foam they used on these ages into some terrible stuff.

Ok I removed most of the glue and foam off the basket and cone. There is just a little glue left on the cone. I scraped most of it off with a razor but am worried about scratching the cone. I removed the glue off the basket with acetone but am afraid to touch the cone with it. The cone in the video above is poly where these don't appear to be. Will rubbing alcohol remove it without damaging the cone?

Attachments

• 20171218_152903.jpg
    20171218_152903.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 22
I will just get what I can get off with my fingernail and call it a day. There's potential for disaster with a razor blade. To get a little more off you could try painting some ethanol alcohol (available at Home Depot and far better than rubbing or isopropyl alcohol) with a hobby brush on the old glue and use your finger nail some more. Use just enough to get it wet. Far better to have a little glue residue left than a nice slit in your cone.

Howard's restorafinish Golden oak. I would hand sand that area with 300 sandpaper then blend it in with Howard's. Follow the instructions on the can. It matches very closely to the original finish. Then Howard's feednwax. I just used it on a pair of rs1.5.

Thank you again for the recommended procedure. I only spent about 20 mins between these products minus soaking time. The finish looks night and day. I am very happy with the results.

Attachments

• 20171127_165718.jpg
    20171127_165718.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 20171219_151641.jpg
    20171219_151641.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 20171219_152009.jpg
    20171219_152009.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 20171219_152113.jpg
    20171219_152113.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 34
I got mine from simply speakers did just what you did and they came out great denatured alcholol cleans up residue good then lacquer thinner if you need it, Are your poly domes good?another 200 bucks if they arent

I got mine from simply speakers did just what you did and they came out great denatured alcholol cleans up residue good then lacquer thinner if you need it, Are your poly domes good?another 200 bucks if they arent

Cool il grab some denatured alcohol and give that a try. My polydomes are good. There still nice and flexible even tho they are white. Il grab some of that mquires I see everyone has had some success with and see if they will clean up nice.

Real nice sounding speakers when they have power to run them.
I use some in a bedroom which were only replaced as mains when some JBL floorstanders miraculously showed up.
Good luck getting them back in servicable order.

Last night I had time to get these refoamed. None of the mentioned products would even slightly loosen up the glue. I used acetone to remove the rest of foam and glue with no il effects. I did use a shim to center the cone though, I wasn't gonna play that guessing game simply speakers recommended. They came out very good. I will remove the little bit of glue that pushed out and reglue the plastic ring and be all set. I've read about the very small seal on the back of the woofer frame to seal it to the cabinet and it is sad indeed. What do you guys recommend for gasket material? 20171223_231430.jpg 20171223_231111.jpg 20171224_093046.jpg 20171224_093054.jpg

What is the best gasket material to use between these speaker baskets and the box? I just need to reinstall these and can finally listen to em. Ive read these speakers make a lot more bass when properly sealed to the cabinet.

I use mortite caulk cord. Quarter inch frost king foam insulation with a sticky side will work too. There is also products made for sealing speakers.

Back
Top Bottom