Infinity Kappa 8.1

Infinity nutcase.
I deleted my last thread because I was premature in posting.

So I've had them for almost 2 weeks now and I'm about to take them out and put the 90's back in the main system. Here's how I feel about them.

What a hell of a combination the Emit-R is with the polydome, I love, love, love what they do. My ears just are tuned to recieve that tweeter. I had to remove, turn off my subwoofer with the 8.1, it is not needed with these speakers IMHO. The woofers throw a bunch more bass but's it's not like the 90's. Much more thumpy in your chest.

The speaker as a whole is just fantastic, much more adept at doing movies, music is good in all tastes. It does everything quite good ! My wife prefers these over my Ren 90's, go figure.

I just have to wonder if Infinity had used a watkins woofer like the one in the Ren 90, if these speakers would have been perfection for me. The Emit R, Polydome, Midbass with a 12 inch watkins, no port...OMG !

I'm feeling very blessed to have them both, i think its a perfect combitation. I'm going to need a speaker selection deal down the road but I see the 8.1's for the rock side and the 90's finer detailed side of
listening. It's a great place to be.
2D7D9CBE-3932-45FF-A425-C63A8B79161F.jpeg 516DC698-D885-4BE8-912F-FA06E284BB8C.jpeg

I deleted my last thread because I was premature in posting.

So I've had them for almost 2 weeks now and I'm about to take them out and put the 90's back in the main system. Here's how I feel about them.

What a hell of a combination the Emit-R is with the polydome, I love, love, love what they do. My ears just are tuned to recieve that tweeter. I had to remove, turn off my subwoofer with the 8.1, it is not needed with these speakers IMHO. The woofers throw a bunch more bass but's it's not like the 90's. Much more thumpy in your chest.

The speaker as a whole is just fantastic, much more adept at doing movies, music is good in all tastes. It does everything quite good ! My wife prefers these over my Ren 90's, go figure.

I just have to wonder if Infinity had used a watkins woofer like the one in the Ren 90, if these speakers would have been perfection for me. The Emit R, Polydome, Midbass with a 12 inch watkins, no port...OMG !

I'm feeling very blessed to have them both, i think its a perfect combitation. I'm going to need a speaker selection deal down the road but I see the 8.1's for the rock side and the 90's finer detailed side of
listening. It's a great place to be.
View attachment 1037078 View attachment 1037079

What amplifier are you using with them? From experience, the bass becomes a lot more controlled/tight with a high current amp. I always thought they (in my case the 9 and 9.1s) did not have much bass, until I connected the right amp for the job. I usually would not recommend such amplifiers as I really like tube amplifiers personally, but I definitely feel they are a must with the large Kappas (the 8,9,8.1,and 9.1). They are very musical speakers, which is probably why I like them myself. With many of the amps I have tried in the past, it is like the rest of the speakers drivers were starving the woofers of the needed power, making them less controlled, or irrelevant sounding. As much current as Infinity said these speakers needed in the manual (which was a lot), I still think they understated what they really need. Or they did not stress enough the difference in looking at current vs watts.

I'm using a Crown XLS 1502. I think it handles the 8.1 really well. one thing I definetly noticed as I swithced them out lastnight was the 8.1 has a richer fuller sound (to me anyway) throughout the volume range, actually gets sweeter as you bring them up. i can only go about 1/2 the volume knob and thats enough for me. I didn't think to try the db meter I downloaded on the phone.

As soon as I put the Ren's back in I noticed an immediate lack of bass at lower volumes on the TV anyway. I have to get to about a 1/4 on the volume for them to kick in somewhat. Which is to loud for TV watching. I hooked my 10 inch Dayton Audio Subwoofer back up and it all sounds right with the additional bass. For music the 90's take over at about probably a 10 on the volume knob.

I'm starting to think if the Kappas stay I'm going to leave them in the living room, which is OK becauses the wife likes them, both looks and sound. And when I get to do the music room retreat I'm going to build another system for the Rens.

I'm using a Crown XLS 1502. I think it handles the 8.1 really well. one thing I definetly noticed as I swithced them out lastnight was the 8.1 has a richer fuller sound (to me anyway) throughout the volume range, actually gets sweeter as you bring them up. i can only go about 1/2 the volume knob and thats enough for me. I didn't think to try the db meter I downloaded on the phone.

As soon as I put the Ren's back in I noticed an immediate lack of bass at lower volumes on the TV anyway. I have to get to about a 1/4 on the volume for them to kick in somewhat. Which is to loud for TV watching. I hooked my 10 inch Dayton Audio Subwoofer back up and it all sounds right with the additional bass. For music the 90's take over at about probably a 10 on the volume knob.

I'm starting to think if the Kappas stay I'm going to leave them in the living room, which is OK becauses the wife likes them, both looks and sound. And when I get to do the music room retreat I'm going to build another system for the Rens.

I debated long and hard back in the mid 90s between the Ren90s and the Kappa 9.1 SII (my first set). My brother had neither in his store. He did have many other Infinity speakers at the time, but neither of those I was looking to buy. I decided on the 9.1 back then after speaking to the Infinity rep. He had asked me what type of music I liked, and said get these, pointing at the brochure (meaning the 9.1). If I ever find some near by me in great shape (in black), I will finally add some of those (the Ren 90) as well. But not sure I would like them as much, as I like Classic Rock, 70s, 80s, etc... Not much of the Classical/Jazz person. I also like to feel the music, the way 4 12s will do. I always felt, even back then, that if Infinity had ever melded the two together, say a large Renaissance cabinet with Emit-R, EMIM, Midbass, and 2 12" woofers, they would have had a very big seller at the given price point.

Price point, that's interesting. I wonder if that was a subliminal thing. Here's what we can do at this level for the mass listener. If you really want to step it up, you know, sigma, beta, gamma, IRS line. Get to work sneaker boy these are waitng.

I think if I had to choose between the 2 speakers I'd keep the 8.1 over the 90's.

They do everything pretty damn good, the whole spectrum of music is covered very well. The 9.1 must be heck of a speaker with the addional woofer ! Here in my small place the single woofer is just about perfect. I see why Jazz is reluctant to let them go. And why peolpe tend to keep this line of Infinity.

Listen to your Ren 90's for a half hour so that your ears get use to their sound then go play your K 8's and you will notice something , how much coloration the k 8's add to the music, I did this with my epsilon then switched to my K 9's and was amazed at how much they colored the sound, those Ren 90's are better than you think.

Yup, but what 7.62 is saying is he likes the 'lively' sound of the kappas, they 'swing' or 'rock' easier then the rens do.

There is no comparison, the kappas are really colored in their sound, especially in the bass, when you compare them to the rens, it was totally a 'Holy Shit!' moment for me when I side by sided them, but the coloration of the kappas is just so ... appealling.

Yup, but what 7.62 is saying is he likes the 'lively' sound of the kappas, they 'swing' or 'rock' easier then the rens do.

There is no comparison, the kappas are really colored in their sound, especially in the bass, when you compare them to the rens, it was totally a 'Holy Shit!' moment for me when I side by sided them, but the coloration of the kappas is just so ... appealling.
Agree with you 100 %

Alex, I'll take " what is coloration " for a $100 please ?

I'm not low blowing the 90, the 1502 does a good job with them and down the road when I can afford a high current amp I'm sure things will get even better.

Last edited:
Hey 7.62 glad ur enjoying the new 8.1s. I have had mine for 3 years now and they are great. I don't think I would ever get rid of them. Yours looks to be in really nice condition. Well cared for. Here's a pick of mine. I agree the bass is really strong on these due to the port. My amps have gain control for each channel and I have turned it down a bit due to the bass. Would love to find some Ren 80s or some IRS GAMMAS but missed opportunities on both to lack of funds. Deals are around the corner though all the time.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
I always felt, even back then, that if Infinity had ever melded the two together, say a large Renaissance cabinet with Emit-R, EMIM, Midbass, and 2 12" woofers, they would have had a very big seller at the given price point.

They did. It was the IRS Gamma. Or at least that's as close as they came. A SEMIT, Emit, Emim, L-EMIM and 2 servo 12 IMG woofers. I never got to hear them, let alone own them. But, at least, you should read the High Performance Review, that I provided to the Infinity-Classics.de website. The reviewer, Lawrence B. Johnson loved them.

"What a hell of a combination the Emit-R is with the polydome, I love, love, love what they do. My ears just are tuned to recieve that tweeter" :music:
( I believe I have the same "Condition" )
Alex, I'll take " what is coloration " for a $100 please ? :rflmao::rflmao::rflmao:
Re Coloration : Ren 90 vs Kappa ..
I have never heard any speaker with Emims .. Would it be a safe assumption that the source of the "coloration " is the polydome mid vs emim ?

"Would love to find some Ren 80s or some IRS GAMMAS but missed opportunities on both to lack of funds. Deals are around the corner though all the time"
Meee Tooo on the Ren 80 ..
Speaking of "Deals " Theres a pair of RS 2.5s two hrs to my south .In working order . ( and they only want $ 500 - Down from 750 :idea::idea: )
BUT they are just too big for me in my current dwelling . 51 inches tall and 117 lbs each .. :whip: Too bad they didn't make the Upper section removeable for easy moving ) IF they were Ren 80s for that price id have them already ..

"What a hell of a combination the Emit-R is with the polydome, I love, love, love what they do. My ears just are tuned to recieve that tweeter" :music:
( I believe I have the same "Condition" )
Alex, I'll take " what is coloration " for a $100 please ? :rflmao::rflmao::rflmao:
Re Coloration : Ren 90 vs Kappa ..
I have never heard any speaker with Emims .. Would it be a safe assumption that the source of the "coloration " is the polydome mid vs emim ?
Yes, that and the woofer.

If I didn't have Ren 90's and Magnepans I'd never have noticed the difference, because until then the Kappas were my 'reference' for sound.
Don't misunderstand me, I love, love, LOVE the sound of the Kappas, but when A/B compared to the Rens and the Maggies, the difference is kind of shocking.
The Kappa bass is a touch 'flabby' in comparison to the Ren's bass, the rens are just so stone cold accurate to whatever the source they're being fed.

The midrange is a touch 'thick' on the Kappas, vs the rens and maggies, or 'warmer' if you prefer, but again, it's something you just don't notice until you hear it done more correctly.
For me, it's Piano as the reference instrument, as that's the instrument I've played the longest, and know better then any other instrument.

They did. It was the IRS Gamma. Or at least that's as close as they came. A SEMIT, Emit, Emim, L-EMIM and 2 servo 12 IMG woofers. I never got to hear them, let alone own them. But, at least, you should read the High Performance Review, that I provided to the Infinity-Classics.de website. The reviewer, Lawrence B. Johnson loved them.
Yes, that and the woofer.

If I didn't have Ren 90's and Magnepans I'd never have noticed the difference, because until then the Kappas were my 'reference' for sound.
Don't misunderstand me, I love, love, LOVE the sound of the Kappas, but when A/B compared to the Rens and the Maggies, the difference is kind of shocking.
The Kappa bass is a touch 'flabby' in comparison to the Ren's bass, the rens are just so stone cold accurate to whatever the source they're being fed.

The midrange is a touch 'thick' on the Kappas, vs the rens and maggies, or 'warmer' if you prefer, but again, it's something you just don't notice until you hear it done more correctly.
For me, it's Piano as the reference instrument, as that's the instrument I've played the longest, and know better then any other instrument.

The next time I see some Ren90s nearby, will have to make an extra effort to acquire some. Just to do some A/B testing. As I have heard some amazing speakers over my time (and owned a few of them). The best I have had to date imo was the IRS Betas, and I do not find the Kappa 9.1 bass bad at all. Though I power them with way more than adequate high end power. Something I seldom see done with these types of speakers. Coloration is something that can be added by many things. Amp, preamp, source, etc...

I put the 8.1's back into duty lastnight. I'm really enjoying these speakers, they so remind me of the day I went to buy a turntable and first heard the CS 3009 in a fellow's garage, it was a life changing moment for me.

In response to okeeteekid and jazzman, i believe i'm understanding the coloration you guys are talking about. While I totally agree that the Ren 90 is the superior speaker for what do we call it "truth" of audio reproduction ? And my componets are probably mid fi at best, and i know many are not fans of the pro audio amps. I believe what i've assembled is fairly good.

The 8.1 to me is the more pleasing speaker, while we all listen on our own terms, I find that 90% of the time I do not critically listen to my music. I push a few buttons and jam getting ready for the day, relaxing fooling around in the house etc.

For that purpose, these are literally perfect ! While I appreciate the attributes of both speakers and feel very lucky to own them both now, a little coloration isn't bad :music:

I put the 8.1's back into duty lastnight. I'm really enjoying these speakers, they so remind me of the day I went to buy a turntable and first heard the CS 3009 in a fellow's garage, it was a life changing moment for me.

In response to okeeteekid and jazzman, i believe i'm understanding the coloration you guys are talking about. While I totally agree that the Ren 90 is the superior speaker for what do we call it "truth" of audio reproduction ? And my componets are probably mid fi at best, and i know many are not fans of the pro audio amps. I believe what i've assembled is fairly good.

The 8.1 to me is the more pleasing speaker, while we all listen on our own terms, I find that 90% of the time I do not critically listen to my music. I push a few buttons and jam getting ready for the day, relaxing fooling around in the house etc.

For that purpose, these are literally perfect ! While I appreciate the attributes of both speakers and feel very lucky to own them both now, a little coloration isn't bad :music:

Hi 7.62 I agree. I think my K9 are more accurate in bass and instrument reproduction. Probably due to the drivers and the sealed cabinet. There's a lot to be said about speakers in a sealed cabinet. They have a overall natural sound to my ears. That being said I really enjoy the 8.1s. I would say a more refined sound but pleasing to the ear. I can listen to my 8.1s all day without being critical with the music. I have my music on one button now as I aquired a boombox from my youth. I know it's not accurate or anything just a new toy and great for background music while cleaning the house.

Boombox ! Back in the late 70's I think I had a Fisher.........Damnnnnnn. Feeling kinda young....LOL. I was looking at them, crazy how much those are now !

I agree on no fatigue at all here, my wife was quite happy to see them back ! She was gone for the week and actually smiled when she came in the door and saw them.

Boombox ! Back in the late 70's I think I had a Fisher.........Damnnnnnn. Feeling kinda young....LOL. I was looking at them, crazy how much those are now !

I agree on no fatigue at all here, my wife was quite happy to see them back ! She was gone for the week and actually smiled when she came in the door and saw them.

Yes was feeling nostalgic as I grew up in the late 70 and 80s. Also was watching stranger things. It's got as many speakers as a Infinity lol.

image.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom