Infinity Kappa 8.1

I modded the 8.1's today, it's raining and nothing to do. Moved the 90's out. Re hooked up my PE sub.

Listening to tool, mad season etc.

If the sun were to never shine on my skin again, I'd be Ok. These damn speakers are Fantastic !

Powered with a pro amp........I'm completely immersed, out of body type shyt. Maybe in tune with something more than I understand.

I was listening to mine the other day also. I really like my Kappa 9s and I would say they are a more accurate speaker. Also they need to be cranked up a little more also. Something is a little different with the 8.1s as it sounds great at any sound level. I made this video for show us a video of your speakers last September. You may have seen it.

Signal chain is infinity 8.1 , 2 Carver A500Xs bi-amped, Parasound P5 pre, Marantz cd5005

The guy I bought these from just received a pair of 90s. I hope he is ready to get rid of them in about a year or so so I can buy them.

Last edited:
admittedly i had a whole 2 beers yesterday, went to lowes before and spent $17.00 for 2 complete sets of 4 leveling deals and pads. I removed what was left of the nail in feet on the backs of the 8.1's, used the holes as guides and drilled them out, installed the new feet. Makes it nice and stable, i'm able to get them completly level with a nice slight cant.

Rare to have the house alone, moved the recliner to the center of the living room about 12 feet back, was i think the perfect situation with the right music !

I'd love to hear the 9's and the 9.1. I've watched your video's but being there live ya know :music:

I modded the 8.1's today, it's raining and nothing to do. Moved the 90's out. Re hooked up my PE sub.

Listening to tool, mad season etc.

If the sun were to never shine on my skin again, I'd be Ok. These damn speakers are Fantastic !

Powered with a pro amp........I'm completely immersed, out of body type shyt. Maybe in tune with something more than I understand.

So 7.62i have a line on a pair of REN 90s. I know they pop up from time to time. He is kind of a friend and offering them to me at a decent price but not great. He thinks the K9s at least to his ears is better. Just wondering if it’s worth the plunge sound wise. What I really want is some IRS Gammas one day.

Damn thats a tough call bahama, you and I have our sights set on the same thing. the only speaker I'm interested short of the Gamma is the K9.

I'm being totally honest here, since he 8.1's came into the house, my rens our sitting in the closet :oops:. I've had thoughts of selling them and putting that money into a gamma fund. I just doubt I'd ever find a pair this nice again and tha keeps them here.

You know sound is an individual thing, you having those K9's I think you wouldn't be happy with the lack of slam in the Ren 90, although a sub will fill that gap nicely. I really can't say, where you are I think its worth waiting for the Gamma to come along. If we were closer I'd let you borrow my rens for awhile so you could decide with a better feel for the speaker.

I'd go fo rit Bahamayellow, I prefer the sound of the Rens to the Kappa, althought as said, the rens don't 'rock' as much, they are a much, much more revealing speaker.

I can go listen to them one of these days, Maybe if the price comes down a bit and if I like them, I can park them next to my 8.1s and switch off. I’m not much of a bass head as I use to be in my younger days. I do like the tight bass of the 9s when needed. I will just have to wait for now. He’s not in a hurry to sell. So I have time. Thanks for your input 7.62 and jazzy.

If the price is stupid I don't think you'd need our help :), if you have to debate then I wouldn't be in a rush, I know if I were to sell mine.......$$$$

At least you have a chance and close by too, bonus !

By all accounts the 90 is a fantastic speaker, I'm still waiting for uvafans review when he gets his Krell back. I've only seen the Kappa 9, the first time I walked into Bobby's shop, and they had a sold sticker on them. So at least I know there's a pair somewhere in this valley.

I have nowhere the expierence of Jazz and other members, to which I highly respect, but it seems to me that the 9's would be a serious contender against the 90.

i have kappa 8 biamped by 2 denon 2800 power amps
this is my 5 set of infinitys-- the qls1 were really nice
the rs3 were also nice but the kappas are impressive
curious about the coloration being discussed

Hello all, I am back again! I have not had a chance to treat my polydome with Meguiar's yet, per various forums but I do have the product at home!

I love the banter about the Ren 90s; I would love to give them a listen myself sometime, but I'll have to make do with my 8.1, 7.1, and 6.1 :)

I am posting today to ask those of you with the .1 series how you adjusted the pots on the back for the tweets and midranges and what you decided sounded best. I am moving to a house in less than 6 months so I'd like to know what I should be listening for. I have read the Infinity manuals that I printed from online but I am not clear just how they should "sound" since I've never had a room to properly set them up!

Thanks so much

Also, I always wondered how much juice you guys give your 7.1/8.1/9.1 speakers? I only have one Adcom GFA 555ii hooked up to power both speakers. I also have an Adcom GFA 545, but I don't how to hook them both up to the speakers without being able to adjust the levels (so I don't blow the speakers) and also have the ability to run them both to my preouts on my Yamaha AVR since it only has one preout set of plugs for front speakers :dunno:

I would LOVE to get a McIntosh amp but they're insanely expensive; something so gorgeous about that green face and dancing dials as the music rolls out!

I would LOVE to get a McIntosh amp but they're insanely expensive; something so gorgeous about that green face and dancing dials as the music rolls out!

Never postpone joy! Mortgage the house
index.php

Hello all, I am back again! I have not had a chance to treat my polydome with Meguiar's yet, per various forums but I do have the product at home!

I love the banter about the Ren 90s; I would love to give them a listen myself sometime, but I'll have to make do with my 8.1, 7.1, and 6.1 :)

I am posting today to ask those of you with the .1 series how you adjusted the pots on the back for the tweets and midranges and what you decided sounded best. I am moving to a house in less than 6 months so I'd like to know what I should be listening for. I have read the Infinity manuals that I printed from online but I am not clear just how they should "sound" since I've never had a room to properly set them up!

Thanks so much

Hello welcome back. If you we’re looking at a clock mine are set at about 1 o’clock on my 8.1s and my 9s. The adjustments aren’t that big but what I have noticed especially on my 9s in the higher volumes the midrange can be over bearing with its highest setting. I just backed them off now it sounds perfect.
I’m the worse person to ask about room set up. I live in a small place with big speakers. I did have a friend come over and help me with my 9s. one person moving speakers and the other listening helps a lot.

Last edited:
I ran my 7.1 and 8.1 and rs all with the dials straight up, which IIRC is middle in between the maximum and minimums.
I don't think I've ever adjusted any of them, rather I've always adjusted the room. To be honest, I plum forget they have them.

And as to power? fifty good watts is enough for most all tolerable listening levels, but I usually use high power carver or traditional a/b amplifiers, although some of the modern chip amps (lepai 7498) power my Ren 90's and powered my Kappa 8.1 to ear blasting levels without hesitation, and sounded stupendisely good, good as they've ever sounded, to be honest. I used to own 'big Iron' Bryston 4b, Rotel 1090.

Also, In my humble opinion, my Adcom 5400? sounded as good as any other amp, price no object on any speaker, (which means mostly infinity) I've ever used it on, and I believe mine's just a minor change from your 545. I'm also a fan of the Adcom 555 and its varients, I think they're great amps.

Last edited:
I run mine straight up, or the 12 o'clock position. I've never really been able to hear the difference, maybe just a bit on the tweeter. I suppose once they go into a dedicated room I may fool around with them. I think the Adcom 555II would be a great match with any of the .I series.

When I had the 555II and the Cresendo 3009's they sounded great, when I finally found a decent preamp.

Here's some crappy pics of the mod I did to the rear of my 8.1's, being on tile floors it works really well and cost less than $20
IMG_1891.JPG IMG_1889.JPG IMG_1890.JPG

I think whichever you choose is fine, but those stick on spikes are very interesting.
So, since I was sitting here reading your post, AND Metallica 'Blackened' from ...And Justice for All had just come on, I went over to my Crescendo 3009s, turned the volume up till it was LOUD which to my ears is exactly in the 80s db-wise, and put my hand on the rear port.
No doubt, there was air flow going on due to the kick drum and bass, not a ton, but definitely air flow.

The tapered insert that is the port for the Kappas was designed precisely to controll the 'chuffing' effect from the bass, it's one of the very few places you can see the cost cutting in the Crescendo line vs the Kappas, and that ever widening throat of the kappas does what it says it does very, very, well IMO.
That's my theory on why you couldn't feel much air-flow, anyway, the fill diffracts the airflow and the port tube allows it to escape without building much velocity, which is (again, imo) why some ports 'chuff' and distort the sound.

Remember, a ported speaker is using the rear wave, just delaying it enough to be in phase with the front wave, instead of simply absorbing the entire rear wave, as an acoustic suspension does. any velocity airflow that increases due to cabinet dimensions has got to distort the sound if you think about it.
To truly test, you could scotch tape a piece of paper in front of the port taping only the top, and watch the paper move(as it will) it'll probably take lots of volume, but it'll move.

Example.... (weird example but it'll do)
at EDC this year, my stage, 5, (basspod) when music was playing at 120 db, when the front (finger) pyro went off, (it was placed directly in front of the hanging audio array)

Jazzman, I knew I like you for a reason lol. I saw over 80 Dead shows between 1990 -1995

The heat and flames totally changed the sound from the high stacks, it was a very, very odd thing acoustically to hear, like a wide filter was just splitting the highs up, diffracting them.

and, the song is Whisky in the Jar, a traditional that's OLD. Metallicas version is one of my least favorite, but I fell out of love with them decades ago, ever since the napster debackle, and especially after they fired Jason even Though I absolutely adore Trujillos bass playing, (Suicidal Tendancies forever!)

Check out Jerry Garcias version off of Shady Grove, that whole album is absolute magic, as is the Pizza Tapes.

Knew i liked you for a reason Jazzman, I saw over 80 shows between 1990-1995, best days of my life.

Knew i liked you for a reason Jazzman, I saw over 80 shows between 1990-1995, best days of my life.
yep, the dead were amazing. I saw them many times, and many members solo.
I downloaded most of their soundboard recordings from archive.org ~fifteen years ago, before they got pulled, (apparently Bob Weir had something to do with this) so I've got a LOT of shows now, I never tire of them.

I really oughta go see dead n co while they're still around.

This thread is a bit of a time warp! My rs IIb's have a stealie on them right above the S-emit, and all my vehicles somewhere have a stealie.

Let's see, at the moment, 7.62 has kappa 9s again, I've still got my ren 90s(bought from 7.62), two pairs of crescendo 3009,(one pair were 7.62's) ren 80s, RS IIb, (bought from 7.62), modulus, (bought from 7.62)

funny old world.

yep, the dead were amazing. I saw them many times, and many members solo.
I downloaded most of their soundboard recordings from archive.org ~fifteen years ago, before they got pulled, (apparently Bob Weir had something to do with this) so I've got a LOT of shows now, I never tire of them.

I really oughta go see dead n co while they're still around.

This thread is a bit of a time warp! My rs IIb's have a stealie on them right above the S-emit, and all my vehicles somewhere have a stealie.

Let's see, at the moment, 7.62 has kappa 9s again, I've still got my ren 90s(bought from 7.62), two pairs of crescendo 3009,(one pair were 7.62's) ren 80s, RS IIb, (bought from 7.62), modulus, (bought from 7.62)

funny old world.

Nice! I am impressed I must say, I miss The Dead so bad.. So many memories and songs that made me love music. I'm listening to So Many Roads box set as we speak. Man I would love to get ahold of those recordings.. Half of my love for Infinity came from the way the Emit's play Jerry's Mixolydian and Chromatic slur scales in a way no other tweeter can.

Nice! I am impressed I must say, I miss The Dead so bad.. So many memories and songs that made me love music. I'm listening to So Many Roads box set as we speak. Man I would love to get ahold of those recordings.. Half of my love for Infinity came from the way the Emit's play Jerry's Mixolydian and Chromatic slur scales in a way no other tweeter can.
listening to gttrfb from sept 2 1982 right now, I love Mydland!

It's funny, back in the eighties/nineties when I was first getting 'into' the dead, I didn't know squat about the historocity of their songs, time, and a lot of research has given me a wholly different appreciation for the dead,

I'm pretty sure it started with 'roots of the grateful dead' which was the versions of many of their songs that they'd likely listened to before playing them.

You can find a good chunk of their live shows over on the pirate bay, but make sure you're using
a. a vpn, and
b. a secure web browser, with scripting turned off.

Hope this helps, or ask me anything.

listening to gttrfb from sept 2 1982 right now, I love Mydland!

It's funny, back in the eighties/nineties when I was first getting 'into' the dead, I didn't know squat about the historocity of their songs, time, and a lot of research has given me a wholly different appreciation for the dead,

I'm pretty sure it started with 'roots of the grateful dead' which was the versions of many of their songs that they'd likely listened to before playing them.

You can find a good chunk of their live shows over on the pirate bay, but make sure you're using
a. a vpn, and
b. a secure web browser, with scripting turned off.

Hope this helps, or ask me anything.

That's awesome, some of my favorite GD songs are Brent songs. I will Take You Home is in my top 5, Hell, unpopular opinion but Built To Last is one of my favorite albums. So talented that you joined a band that has a following like that and are instantly accepted by both the band and the fans.

Thanks Man, I will check that out!

Back
Top Bottom