Infinity Kappa 9 and MC225

DraKnight13

New member, been lurking for a while but I have to ask this before I blow up my beloved MC225. Its the same old questions, would the Kappa 9 destroy my mc225???? I had it run fine for a while, but after reading so many stories, I would love to make sure. I also have MC240 if that is a better fit, I don't think the Dynaco ST-70 will do the job. Would tube stuff be a good idea for these speakers at all. Thanks!

I don't know if it will blow up your amp, but these speakers really like power, and 25 watts, even tube watts, is not nearly enough. I'm giving my K8s about 300 watts/channel even though I don't normally listen that loud. I'd suggest that a more powerful, high-current amp would be your best bet.

The woofers in the K9's demand a high-current solid state amp that is stable into a 2 ohm load to sound their best. However, using the MC240 on the mids/tweeters in a bi-amp configuration with said SS amp on the woofers could be a dream combination.

The woofers in the K9's demand a high-current solid state amp that is stable into a 2 ohm load to sound their best. However, using the MC240 on the mids/tweeters in a bi-amp configuration with said SS amp on the woofers could be a dream combination.

I am using a Belles SS amp to drive the woofers, and have an ARC VS110 driving everything else and agree that is a dream combination. I am very happy with the sound. Depending on how loud you listen, you might want more tube power, such as your MC240. I was using 2 Dynaco Mk3s to power the top, but find the top end less congested at volume with the VS110.

Would love to see the setup when u get it going. Also let us know what u think of the sound.
Your Mac amps are way more stout than my carvers. I was the same as u I didn't want to burn anything up. I think the speakers picked on the weaker amp and cause it some problems. I sent it to hi tech audio for a full rebuild and it has blew me away. Been running 2 years now and nothing's burned up. Lol knock on wood.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom