Infinity Monitor II speakers thoughts.

Well, just got the Dayton tweeters and they won't work. The dome sets to high, giving too much a slope to attach the cone. But I did try. When I cut the center of the dome out, I found a 1/2" thick piece of foam going into the center hole. Pulled it out and where there should be bare magnet was another layer, a pad I guess. The magnet sets about a little over 1/2" down into the center hole, making the stock support rod too short. There was no way to glue the center rod securely. So the search goes on.

Last edited:
Well, just got the Dayton tweeters and they won't work. The dome sets to high, giving too much a slope to attach the cone. But I did try. When I cut the center of the dome out, I found a 1/2" thick piece of foam going into the center hole. Pulled it out and where there should be bare magnet was another layer, a pad I guess. The magnet sets about a little over 1/2" down into the center hole, making the stock support rod too short. There was no way to glue the center rod securely. So the search goes on.
I'm not sure what you mean.
Any pics?
The 1" opening should be able to fit over or atop a 1" dome unless the cone opening is less than an inch
I wouldn't be too concerned about the center piece, at the moment.

Pics. Compare to the original soft dome tweeter Infinity used (1st pic). Magnet is nearly even with the flange. Dome is slightly raised. If I trimmed the Daytons down, the hole would be too wide. The dome is taller. Which raises the cone up higher. Can you see how deep the hole is to the magnet. Just won't work like I want.

IMG_1086a.JPG IMG_1145.JPG IMG_1147.JPG IMG_1152.JPG IMG_1156.JPG

Last edited:
The Walsh cone should be able to sit atop the dome unless you are saying the Walsh comes to rest on the plastic flange:dunno:.
Any pics with the Walsh atop the cone?

The dome is not only taller, it is also softer. When I try to attach the cone, it wants to collapse down and inward. I bought a length of aluminum and cut it extra length where it would sit into the hole. But it was too flexible trying to epoxy to that pad at the bottom. It just won't work.

The Walsh cone should be able to sit atop the dome unless you are saying the Walsh comes to rest on the plastic flange:dunno:.
Any pics with the Walsh atop the cone?
Here are some pics. I'm just holding the cone on the dome. The "Infinty" tweeter is near flat (1st pic). The Dayton raises it up several mm's., which may throw off the intended vibration pattern. Not to mention how far down the center pole would sit.

IMG_1185.JPG IMG_1186.JPG

Just picked these 8 ohm Rat Shack tweets off a pair of home brew speakers I picked up today. They look closer to the Infinity tweeter. Will know when I get the xacto on it.

Last edited:
Much closer to the Infinity tweet. This RatShack tweet also had black padding over the magnet inside the dome, but I was able to pull it out. If this doesn't work, then I'll have to look into getting originals.

The dome is not only taller, it is also softer. When I try to attach the cone, it wants to collapse down and inward. I bought a length of aluminum and cut it extra length where it would sit into the hole. But it was too flexible trying to epoxy to that pad at the bottom. It just won't work.
I think the Dayton DC-28f you bought has a 1 1/8" voice coil, 12% larger than the original (which may measure even smaller than an inch I haven't had the opportunity to measure the original).
Also the original is a metal dome if I'm not mistaken.

I think the Dayton DC-28f you bought has a 1 1/8" voice coil, 12% larger than the original (which may measure even smaller than an inch I haven't had the opportunity to measure the original).
Also the original is a metal dome if I'm not mistaken.
From what I can gather, the original did have a metal (Aluminum?) dome and hollow center support and wavy lines on the cone, later was changed to the soft dome, solid center support with circular etching on the cone, probably due to a production change or cheaper cost. The fellow on the bay that refurbs them has both versions now for sale without having to send yours in for repair. I've tried to get him to elaborate more on what he does, but his responses have been of little words or value to make me want to send mine to him.

From what I can gather, the original did have a metal (Aluminum?) dome and hollow center support and wavy lines on the cone, later was changed to the soft dome, solid center support with circular etching on the cone, probably due to a production change or cheaper cost. The fellow on the bay that refurbs them has both versions now for sale without having to send yours in for repair. I've tried to get him to elaborate more on what he does, but his responses have been of little words or value to make me want to send mine to him.
Have you taken an accurate measurement of the original voice coil?
Perhaps it's not 1" but 3/4".
1 1/8" is too big to accommodate the Walsh cone.
Also I can't believe I didn't suggest you remove the 4 screws that hold down the voice coil flange.
This could very well reveal a simple voice coil break and a simple repair.

Have you taken an accurate measurement of the original voice coil?
Perhaps it's not 1" but 3/4".
1 1/8" is too big to accommodate the Walsh cone.
Also I can't believe I didn't suggest you remove the 4 screws that hold down the voice coil flange.
This could very well reveal a simple voice coil break and a simple repair.
The best I can measure the original soft dome and the RS dome are 1 1/8" and the Dayton measures 1 1/4" not to mention it stuck out from the flange further. Yes, I thought of taking it apart, but I did not want to do anymore damage should I decide to send them to the ebay guy. Besides, I wanted a matched pair as I had 2 different Walshes.

The best I can measure the original soft dome and the RS dome are 1 1/8" and the Dayton measures 1 1/4" not to mention it stuck out from the flange further. Yes, I thought of taking it apart, but I did not want to do anymore damage should I decide to send them to the ebay guy. Besides, I wanted a matched pair as I had 2 different Walshes.
Measurements usually indicate diameters of the voice coils, not the size of the openings in the flange.
Judging from the size of the cone opening(1"), the Walsh was meant to accommodate a voice coil of a inch or smaller, imo

Measurements usually indicate diameters of the voice coils, not the size of the openings in the flange.
Judging from the size of the cone opening(1"), the Walsh was meant to accommodate a voice coil of a inch or smaller, imo
That's what I measured. The voice coil, or at least where the dome slope terminates . Not the flange opening.

Too bad that the current Infinity company was no help in where they sourced the original tweet drivers.

Well, just ran into another obstacle. I was checking the clearance of the rod & cone to the top panel. The magnet & dome of the RS tweet sit up a little higher than the original, the wood cover will hit the rod & cone, not lay flush. :(

Well, I think these tweets wight work. I'll need to raise the top panel up 1/4" with spacers, or fabricate a thinner panel. Hmmm! Cogs spinning----smoke pouring out ears.....

Back
Top Bottom