Infinity peeps - what's your cart of choice? ($100-$300)

forcemajeure

Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a new Cart. Wondering what recomendations my fellow infinity brethren have?

Here is my set up:

Yamaha yp-701 into Kenwood KA-4006 into Infinity Qb's.
(Yes, it's a regular 1970's time warp at my place. I'm wearing flared jeans as I write...;))
Current cart: ortofon 2M red - I have enjoyed this cart mostly. Only problems are occasional sibilance, and it's unforgiving when it comes to both scratched records, and records mastered "hot".
EG : Chris Bellman's recent cut of "Everyone knows this is Nowhere" was a dissapointly harsh experience on my system.

Based on the stellar reviews I've been reading, I really want to get the Nagaoka MP -110. But the problems I had with the 2m red make me think it's a little bright for the Qb's EMIT tweeters. And maybe the Nagoaka will be worse?

Which steers me towards getting the Shure M97XE.

Anyone tried a nagoaka / infinity combo?

I mostly listen to jazz, with the odd bit of blues and rock for variation.

Thanks for reading.
Dan

Well, I have the AT-LP120 with Kappa 8's and maybe my hearing isn't nearly as good as others here but I'll chime in for the heck of it. I have the 110 & Shure and the stock AT95E.

In all honesty I think the AT95E sounds really good, BUT the Shure sounds every bit as good maybe better. The Nagoka try as I have doing some critical listening is no better than either cartridges above.

If I had to pick one to live with everyday, the Shure would probably win.

I have Infinity RS II and a Dual 1249 with a Shure D105 ED. I keep reading stuff and thinking about trying something else. Then I put a record on and love the way it sounds.

Only thing I've got even close to that price point is an Audio Technica AT-OC9ML/II. If your rig can handle LOMC carts and you can stretch your budget a bit, it's a pretty darn nice cartridge for the money.

I'm using Lyra cartridges in both of my Infinity setups

I really like audio technica on my Infinity Kappa 9 and 8.1 . So far I’m using a AT120e and a at100e. The names have changed and the price has gone up on these.

I just upgraded my TT from a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with an Ortofon 2M Red cart, to a Clearaudio Concept with the Concept V2 MM cartridge. All I can say is WOW! The sound is orders of magnitude better, due in no small part to the cartridge. The cart goes for about $250. Seriously, makes the 2M Red sound like a Close-N-Play. Oh...running it through SAE gear into Infinity Q2s. Got my bell bottoms on as well!

Back
Top Bottom