infinity pics- identity help- series threes

thedelihaus

Nocturnal transmissions
Here's a pair of Infinity Series Threes (spelled out) I got a bit back for $100 delivered.

My question- does anyone have any detailed info on these? I'm wondering what the cone is (seems like black poly), what the ohm rating is ( i suspect possibly 6 ohms), what year they were made, and where these sat in the Infinity lineup.

I knew they had the polycell dome tweeter, and had assumed they were the polypropylene clearish-coned items, but seeing that the guy delivered them for me I wasn't going to complain they weren't exactly what i expected. Speaker grill cloth shows a few abrasions, but the speaker cabinets are in near perfect shape, and so are the speakers and the foams. Also came with matching speaker stands.

Although I like the EMIT tweeters, I do find these polycells to be very pleasant. Heck, the whole speaker itself is a pleasant one overall- I likes 'em. And although I lean towards turning my bass and treble up 2 times out of 3 on some speakers, these sound quite fine running my gear flat. Especially with my Sansui 317 amp.

The kind gentleman who dropped them off had a pair of Boston Acoustics A-150s at home and was partial to them, but his wife preferred these and wasn't thrilled to see them go. Sadly I lost touch with him somehow, but if he's out there, thanks again for offering them up, and extra thanks for dropping them off- much obliged! :thmbsp:

Attachments

• infincovered.jpg
    infincovered.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 17
  • infingrilloff2.jpg
    infingrilloff2.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 63
  • infinshelf.jpg
    infinshelf.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 19
  • infinback.jpg
    infinback.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 18
Infinity has made basic specifications for all their older models available on their website even rarities such as the Hybrid Class A power amp and ES-1 electrostatic headphones. Yet, I was unable to locate any information on a Series Three. However, I did find information on a Reference Three that appears to be a possible match for your speakers.

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS
Model: Reference Three
Frequency Response: 47Hz - 25kHz
Crossover Frequency(ies): 400Hz and 3.5kHz
Sensitivity: 90dB (1 watt/1 meter)
Nominal Impedance: 6 ohms
Power Rating: 20 - 125 watts
Woofer: 8" (20.3cm) IMG
Midrange Driver: 5" (12.7cm) IMG
Tweeter: 1" polycell

These were made well after Harmon International bought out Infinity and the greater majority of the products became aimed at the lower mass market. These speakers appear to be your average big box store speakers, not bad, not the greatest, but good for what they are. You like them and that's the most important thing.
- JP

The cones are IMG, Injection Molded Graphite. I have the Reference Twos and I don't like them. Boston Acoustics of the same time period blow them away.

Back
Top Bottom