Infinity prices

rvito

Just wondering where folks come up with these asking prices lately on Infinity speakers. I have seen Betas for 15k Gammas for 9k and others for crazy prices. Some have been listed for years. I have recently seen Kappa 9's for 2500.

Just wondering where folks come up with these asking prices lately on Infinity speakers. I have seen Betas for 15k Gammas for 9k and others for crazy prices. Some have been listed for years. I have recently seen Kappa 9's for 2500.

Most of them will sit and collect dust as they try auctioning them off. On average, the IRS Betas used to sell for around 6K on ebay. Kappa 9 has always been in the 1500 or so range as far as I can remember. Obviously some have gotten their speakers for dirt cheap, so these are just averages I used to see. One thing is for sure, the drivers are not getting any younger, and replacements, as time goes on, will obviously be fewer and far between. So to a buyer, it will make all the difference in the world. I have seen prices of the Delta/Gamma above that of a mint set of IRS Betas. So it is quite whacked what people ask.

I own both Betas and Gammas and fortunately I have been able to buy plenty of spare parts over the years. Would I consider selling at those prices? Not sure as finding another brand to replace them at the same performance level would prove quite costly. You are right on about them collecting dust. The pair of Epsilons have been on the bay for years.

there is something to be said about buying Infinity speakers that have components that are fairly easy to obtain. I had looked at Beta's& Gammas in the early 80's, but at that time my set up was under powered. So I stuck with my RSII 's/ . I did up grade my amplification , amazing difference in sound stage and bass.

there is something to be said about buying Infinity speakers that have components that are fairly easy to obtain. I had looked at Beta's& Gammas in the early 80's, but at that time my set up was under powered. So I stuck with my RSII 's/ . I did up grade my amplification , amazing difference in sound stage and bass.

I've noticed parts prices have been creeping up as well as speaker prices themselves.
Glad I bought a bunch of parts for my RSM's and RS II's already.
The latest purchase was 6 5" mids and 4 rectangular EMITs for RS II's.
$164 + shipping.
Bargains are still out there but harder to find it seems.

They probably will go higher and higher as people keep parting out their speakers making them more rare/collectible.

I almost bought a pair of mint Betas a few years ago from the original owner for $4,200 but decided not to because my room is too small for them.

I have to laugh at the epsilons on the bay that are $10,500 they are missing the felt damper on one front tweeter and I think they played around with the control woofers to get them working, my epsilons are in way better shape, maybe I should put them up for sale and ask $12,500 for them Lol,

When people see sellers trying to sell their infinity speakers at such high prices they think that must be what the speakers are worth so they put their speakers up for sale at those high prices too, It's like a chain reaction now everyone is asking ridiculously high prices for their infinity's but nothing sells.

Did you see the Kappa 8's from Japan on the bay for $5,700 Lol, I bought my K8's new for $1,400 plus tax.

Last edited:
This may get moved to D$S

I have lots of spares as well for mine, why I don't know. I now have way too many speakers 8 pair and that's just Infinity. I have yet to blow a single driver.

What is really going to be scarce is the cabinets...

Right now speakers are not selling around here. A pair of RS2.5 were for sale all summer very reasonable. Someone must have finally bought them or the seller partedthem out. I just bought a wonderful pair of rs1.5 for the price of an emit tweeter. They were on CL for a week, as I thought I d let someone else snag them before I finally called the guy. They didn't even need refoaming. Bought them mostly for the Watkins woofers. Let me tell you those little RS1.5 are a kick ass monitor.
Jim

SP, you bring up an interesting point/fact.
I have enough spare parts to rebuild my RSM's 3 times.
Except for cabinets/grilles.

The prices of the rarer Infinity drivers; Quantum mid domes, EMIMs or Kappa poly domes have gone WAY up!

I agree I don't see to many of the big infinitys in my neck of the woods. Had a chance to buy some Ren 80s for 600 and Irs gamma for 2500 years ago but didn't have the money. :( I got my K9s and 8.1s for a good price.

^^^The bigger ones come up but you have to be willing to drive. Drove from Philly to Cleveland in one day to get my QLS1. Closest for me was around 2 hours for my qls2. D.C. Is another area I seem to find stuff in. An older woman filled my truck up with gear there when I gave her a little more for her RSII after I saw them in person. Those were up for several weeks with no interest (she could not post pics of them but after talking to her on the phone I knew she was legit). Also found my RSIIb in D.C.

IRS were not sold in the same numbers as the other series of Infinities so are more scarce. They were serious speakers for serious coin. The Omegas were $7,000. In comparison the similar Ren 90 was 5,000. IRS Betas were $22,000 and so on. I love the older Infinities but the IRS were made to be superior to all of them.

Last edited:
Deals can be found, but places like Ebay probably aren't going to be the place. I missed by one frickin day about 3 years ago up in Reno, a pair of IRS Gamma's for $1500.

Craigslist can be amazing if your at the right time and place.

Back
Top Bottom