Infinity & Pro Power.

Infinity nutcase.
It's kinda a Sunday morning these are my thoughts on Pro Amplifier's as I'm pretty sure I've made it to my Happy place as one chapter is closing and another is beginning and that would be the joy of Music. I think it's worthy and may help the newbies that discover the Infinity Brand.

I know when I did my first search on the RSII's Audiokarma was the first website that came up.

So Wednesday I bought an Crown XLS Drivecore Series II 1502 from a major chain because I wanted peace of mind the amp would be new, unused in any way. Specifically to handle the woofers on my new to me QLS-1 speakers. I moved everything around a bit and lost the MC-2105 and put the Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2 on the top. The Crown is a 8-4-2 Ohm stable amp.

So basically I have about a total of 1,275 watts of power to throw at the big boys.

I'll just say it sounds like nothing I've ever heard and suits me perfectly, I'm loving everything. For the price the Crown spanks the Watkins woofers, I really pushed it hard and could barely get the second set of lights to go, the fan doesn't come on until it's needed and it's a great feature of this amp. I don't know how it works but at 7 pounds it's light as a feather. Another great feature if your getting older and the back is as well.

It's not my first pro amp, I destroyed just about all the regular type amps I had trying to get my Kappa 8's to sing being somewhat budget minded, Eagle, Adcom, Carver, Emotiva, Onkyo and a few I'm forgetting. It wasn't until I brought in a QSC-GX5 that could finally drive the 8's with ease. As a matter of fact it was the first time I had to get off the gas peddle so to speak. I was using an MC C-26 with this setup and it sounded very good.

So in a nutshell, don't be afraid to try a Pro amp, I'd take the Crown over QSC simply because of the fan feature. I think your choice of Pre- Amplifier has a lot to do with the shape / sound of your music. If your Infinity's are biampable let the pro amp do the heavy hitting.

If you have deep pockets the sky's the limit, but for the budget minded like myself the pro amp is a great option !IMG_1356.JPG

So I take it you are enjoying those QLS1. Get all those drivers working? How do they compare to your other Infinitys? To me the image and sound stage can not be match by what I have and I have 5 pair of the various larger variety. The RSIIb are close and may be a little more accurate but never as forgiving to the rock recordings which I love but are poorly produced...

Nice choice on the Crown. They have been around for a long time for a good reason.
Jim

Nice, Dave! I've come to much the same conclusion with regards to amplification. If i ever get time off, I've got to come listen to them (the QLS, I mean)
that series of crown amps makes me drool.
2 ohm load 775w, both channels driven
4 ohm load 525 w, both channels driven
Sensitivity 1.4Vrms
Frequency Response +0dB, -1dB
Signal to Noise >103dB (at .775Vrms, 6dB lower)
Intermodulation Distortion < 0.3%
Damping Factor > 200
THD < 0.5%
Crosstalk At 1kHz: > 85dB, At 20kHz: > 55dB
Dimensions 19" (48.3 cm) x 3.5" (8.9 cm) x 7.7" (19.6 cm)
Weight 8.6 lbs (3.9 kgs)

~400$

Last edited:
Jim,

Yes and throughly so, The QLS-1 is an amazing speaker. I guess the best way for me to explain how they sound, I used to drum around the house doing chores / projects while jamming. Now I SIT and really get into the music. Jim you have the 2B's with the big emits, boy I sure wish we were closer I'd love to hear those !

I don't think life will be complete until I hear a pair of Kappa 9's though. So the quest isn't quite over, if a pair becomes available I'll probably go for it. OK who here in Vegas has a pair ? I know there's some lucky owner because they really caught my attention at AudioExpert the first time I went in but they were already sold. Hell I really didn't know better then anyway.

Jazz,
Anytime buddy, they're not going anywhere. :beerchug: You know what's crazy to me while the Crown is barely working, the midbass, 12 mids and 16 emits @ 1/2 volume or so the Emotiva meters are going to the end of their deals. That's a lot of power.

Uh-oh, just got a trade offer for the 2105.......a pair of RSII'S.

Last edited:
I passive bi-amped my Infinity RS IIIa's and use a QSC CX254. 4 channel, 250 watts per channel. Like the OP said, I have to be careful steeping on the gas pedal for the first time since the 1980's when I bought the speakers. They have killed everything they have come in contact with over the years. Not anymore. Just be careful to not use any of the dip switches (limiters / filters) on the amp. They will screw with the sound even with just the clipping switch on at low volume. Just let it do what it does best, make clean power.

It's kinda a Sunday morning these are my thoughts on Pro Amplifier's as I'm pretty sure I've made it to my Happy place as one chapter is closing and another is beginning and that would be the joy of Music. I think it's worthy and may help the newbies that discover the Infinity Brand.

I know when I did my first search on the RSII's Audiokarma was the first website that came up.

So Wednesday I bought an Crown XLS Drivecore Series II 1502 from a major chain because I wanted peace of mind the amp would be new, unused in any way. Specifically to handle the woofers on my new to me QLS-1 speakers. I moved everything around a bit and lost the MC-2105 and put the Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2 on the top. The Crown is a 8-4-2 Ohm stable amp.

So basically I have about a total of 1,275 watts of power to throw at the big boys.

I'll just say it sounds like nothing I've ever heard and suits me perfectly, I'm loving everything. For the price the Crown spanks the Watkins woofers, I really pushed it hard and could barely get the second set of lights to go, the fan doesn't come on until it's needed and it's a great feature of this amp. I don't know how it works but at 7 pounds it's light as a feather. Another great feature if your getting older and the back is as well.

It's not my first pro amp, I destroyed just about all the regular type amps I had trying to get my Kappa 8's to sing being somewhat budget minded, Eagle, Adcom, Carver, Emotiva, Onkyo and a few I'm forgetting. It wasn't until I brought in a QSC-GX5 that could finally drive the 8's with ease. As a matter of fact it was the first time I had to get off the gas peddle so to speak. I was using an MC C-26 with this setup and it sounded very good.

So in a nutshell, don't be afraid to try a Pro amp, I'd take the Crown over QSC simply because of the fan feature. I think your choice of Pre- Amplifier has a lot to do with the shape / sound of your music. If your Infinity's are biampable let the pro amp do the heavy hitting.

If you have deep pockets the sky's the limit, but for the budget minded like myself the pro amp is a great option !View attachment 891610

I have two QSC GX3 amps and the fan speed is variable according to need. At idle it barely turns, can't hear it, never had it increase in speed with the eight ohm loads and never ever say the clip light blink even though it was very loud. I don't use them anymore, downsized everything and listening space simply does not support the power, used to have Altec 19s and JBL L220s, front and rear of a surround system often used in four channel stereo. First system I've had that never saw full power, it was simply more than enough power and the amp simply did not complain, ever. So, pro amps, they do the job and don't complain. Must admit I have an Audio Fidelity integrated with power in the area of eighty or so watts into the load and it does sound better but probably wouldn't know without direct comparison. Now if it needs to go loud, really loud, that's different.

And how are your speakers doing now
Yes you have to be careful with the 400 watts, but the IRS beta woofer are 4 per channel so that is only 100 watts per woofer. I just adjusted the woofers to be less prominent favoring the higher frequencies above 100 Hz and I think it sounds great. However will have to wait until the fall for the best signal to noise ratio from the classical music station. I am 25 miles from the transmitter and now am missing the director, so the gain is decreased from the 6db specification

Pro amps are just as good or even better than the run of the mill "audiophile" amps. I run my Kappa 8.2i's with a Yamaha P7000S. 2x750 / 2x1100 / 2x1600 Watts in 8 / 4 / 2 ohm. Do I need all of the power? -No. But I don't need to worry of clipping at all.

It too has fans that don't move until over 50 °C and measure completely transparently. No hum from large transformers as it has a switch mode power supply.

I’ll be looking for an XLS 2502 here soon to handle a pair of higher end infinity’s. Of all the amps I’ve had in the house there’s only one that really stood out over all the rest and that was the Aragon 8008.

I wish I’d have never sold that one. It spanked the Kappa 9’s. Talk about control and sweet sounding. That sucker had no problem handling the woofers and low impedance.

And Scott, if you read this Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

goodolpg your senses are good my friend.

Jazzman has been kind enough to let me take possession of the Gammas.

I had to pinch myself this morning when I woke up. I haven’t been the same since I sold them. They will never be sold again.

I never thought I’d see them again. Scott is a true friend and a man of his word, in this town it is rare. Thank You Brother.

Back
Top Bottom