Infinity put EMITs in Chryslers? Who knew?

swechsler

Frog Whisperer
I came across this totally amateurish build today. While the poor construction quality and lack of box design made me cringe, it did make me aware of the existence of these speakers (probably from the early 1990s). I'd never seen them before (I was aware of Infinity's aftermarket Kappa speakers with EMITs; in fact, I have a pair, in need of refoaming). Seems almost a waste in most Chrysler products of the day.

DSCF1520.jpg

I wonder how many of those made their way to the crusher. What a shame..

I've got a pair of the EMIT Kappas, destined for some future vintage car restoration. I've been a little leery, however, wondering how well they hold up with the temperature extremes, vibrations, etc.

bs

Infinity did make a car speaker with EMITs.
But those aren't them.

Maybe those ARE a factory example after all...see TopDollar69's post below.
I was originally thinking the I-car speakers were the only Infinity EMIT car speakers, had either never known or forgotten about some Kappa car speakers.

Last edited:
If you could get ahold of enough of the Chrysler version, I wonder how they'd work in an open baffle line array.

In early 90s my 1969 Ford Cortina had Kappa Infinities front and back, separate Kenwood amps and a top of the line dash unit, a six CD player in the trunk...it sounded great and cost more than double the value of the car :)

I have a number of components of the old green quartz cone Kappa components. I also have a pair of the EMIT-N tweeters, but one is damaged, and I've been looking for a single for about a decade without any luck.

Here is a link explaining the Infinity speakers that were factory fitted in Chrysler vehicles. There were three models that I know of that have EMIT tweeters, LeBaron convertibles, TC Maserati both in the rear, and first gen vans (Voyager Caravan) in the dash. I have three sets all from LeBarons and they do sound very good for a factory speaker.

http://www.allpar.com/stereo/speaker-repair.html

I came across this totally amateurish build today. While the poor construction quality and lack of box design made me cringe, it did make me aware of the existence of these speakers (probably from the early 1990s). I'd never seen them before (I was aware of Infinity's aftermarket Kappa speakers with EMITs; in fact, I have a pair, in need of refoaming). Seems almost a waste in most Chrysler products of the day.

DSCF1520.jpg

Interesting, the link in TopDollar69's post shows those.
Looks like I was wrong in my first post.

Back
Top Bottom