Infinity Qe speakers

jacks son

Hello,

I picked up a pair of Infinity Qe speakers ( $20.00 ) today at a goodwill store that a buddy of mine took me to. I did'nt really want or need them but they were in good looking original condition and a different friend of mine had a pair of Infinity speakers some 30 or so years ago and I recalled that at the time his sounded terrific. So I took them out to my shop and hooked them up to my Pioneer sx1250 as "B" speakers with my HPM100s as "A" speakers. They did not sound right so I removed them to check for obvious problems. I noticed that the fuses on the backs were blown ( 1.25s ) so I replaced them expecting them to blow again right away. Well what a suprise!!! after a bit of moving around, I found that sitting right next to the HPM100s they actally sounded as if they "complimented" the deep "rock" sound of the HPMs with a lighter, crisper sound. My buddy said that often a pair of smaller speakers are used with larger speaker to make up for what ever the biggies lack. Any opinions on these speakers or my crazy audio experiances are appreciated.

P.S.
I don't know if the Infinity Qe speaker is collectable but the pair I bought are serial numbered together ( 1 number apart ) and have "Emit" written over a chrome, ribbon type tweeter. I really like them!!

Thanks,

Jacks son:music:

They have a nice sound for their age and size. The tweeters are collectable and go for a good bit e-Bay. The vinyl veneer has got to be the ugliest I have ever seen. I haven't gotten rid of mine yet, because I can't make up my mind to part with the tweeters.

Might need a serious re-cap on the speakers. The EMITs are well worth more than the $20 you spent, if that's an option.

Nice find on those ! I havent heard the Qe but any of the Q line from that Era are good speakers and sought after by some members, I have a big pair of QLS1s. You can find out more on the Infinity Forum here, Also check out Bobby Shreds page http://www.bobbyshred.com/infinity.html for more on the Qe and other Infinitys.

Hello,

I picked up a pair of Infinity Qe speakers ( $20.00 ) today at a goodwill store that a buddy of mine took me to. I did'nt really want or need them but they were in good looking original condition and a different friend of mine had a pair of Infinity speakers some 30 or so years ago and I recalled that at the time his sounded terrific. So I took them out to my shop and hooked them up to my Pioneer sx1250 as "B" speakers with my HPM100s as "A" speakers. They did not sound right so I removed them to check for obvious problems. I noticed that the fuses on the backs were blown ( 1.25s ) so I replaced them expecting them to blow again right away. Well what a suprise!!! after a bit of moving around, I found that sitting right next to the HPM100s they actally sounded as if they "complimented" the deep "rock" sound of the HPMs with a lighter, crisper sound. My buddy said that often a pair of smaller speakers are used with larger speaker to make up for what ever the biggies lack. Any opinions on these speakers or my crazy audio experiances are appreciated.

P.S.
I don't know if the Infinity Qe speaker is collectable but the pair I bought are serial numbered together ( 1 number apart ) and have "Emit" written over a chrome, ribbon type tweeter. I really like them!!

Thanks,

Jacks son:music:

I also found a (one :tears:) Infinity Qe at the local GW. f I had two, it would be a serious contender for my favorite smallish speakers..Smaller Advents.

Found thise specs for the Qe at the Infinity forum of AK http://www.infinity-classics.de/infinity/models/Quantum-series-1976/index-Quantum.htm

It's not that a smaller speaker can make up for what a bigger speaker lacks. Play a set of HPM 40s with a set of HPM 100s, and it will still sound like, well... a HPM speaker. The Qe has a sound all it's own, the Emit tweeter is very good.

Thanks for the replies,

I have always enjoyed music of all genres even though most of my friends are strictly rock fans. The Qe speakers by themselves sound as if they may be better suited to jazz and vocal type music but given a pretty wide range of music I can see where they could really grow on you. I had thought they would be a bit wanting in reach or range but with your eyes closed you can easiy imagine a much larger speaker in front of you. I am keeping my peepers peeled for a pair of the bigger series, you never know!!!

Thanks again,

Jacks son

I used to sell those Qe's. The tweeter is on a round mount because it has very poor vertical dispersion. If you place them on their sides you turn the tweeters 90 degrees, kinda like the ESS AMT 1A bookshelf speakers.

I liked them a lot.

Last edited:
The Qe's were actually my very first set of speakers. I believe my sister still has them in her basement. I really liked them, They were great bookshelves. When I went to college I got a smaller pair of Boston Acoustics that I kept blowing the tweeter on. I guess I got a little too used to how the EMIT sounded!

Eyed a pair of Qe's today for $90, pushed in dust covers on the woofs...just couldn't pull the trigger!

Here is my pair i paid $50.00 for them and they do play beautiful music,surprisingly good bass, they are fed by my nak ta-4a.

Attachments

• ess 003.jpg
    ess 003.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 382
  • ess 004.jpg
    ess 004.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 320
Nice speakers. I have the Qa and removed the vinyl and placed a veneer on the exterior.

Please check the overall impedance of your Qe speakers. My Qa are 4 ohms and yours might be the same. The tech sheet says 4 or 8 ohms. http://www.bobbyshred.com/images/Qe_Tech_Sheet.pdf

Low resistance speakers pull a lot of amperage. Most Amps do not like to power a load less than 4 Ohms. When you play the HPM and Qe at the same time the amps see a load of 2.67 Ohms. This will draw a lot of current from the Pioneer amp you have - leading to over heating and deterioration.

If the Qe is operating at 8 ohms then the combined load is 4 ohms and that is manageable.

The HPM operate at 8 ohms http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/pioneer_hpm_60hpm6.html

Eyed a pair of Qe's today for $90, pushed in dust covers on the woofs...just couldn't pull the trigger!

The dust covers can be easily restored by using a vacuum cleaner hose to pull them out.....apply suction sparingly...it works :thmbsp:

Infinty Qe

Picked up a working pair for $8 at a local thrift store. At first a bit put off by the ugly vinyl and brown grill cloth, but when I hooked them up to a small Sherwood receiver the sound is way bigger than the price. Much nicer overall than a newer set of Infinity SM-82s I am restoring. The metal around the tweeter seems rusty (steel?) but the woofers are in great shape and the tweeters sound fine. Any tips on how to clean the tweeter plates? The boxes are in good shape for recovering. I'll open them up tomorrow and see what's inside. I am veneering a pair of EPI speakers with some birdseye primavera veneer and am thinking the same for the Infinitys. Will post some pics later of the progress. :thmbsp:

I've had a pair since the early 80's and I love them. Best 8 inch 2 way I've heard for the $$$. Used in a system with a Marantz 2245 receiver and a home brew sub and they're incredible !! JOHN:banana::music::banana::music:

Happy Listener

I spent all day today veneering my second EPI 100 and listened to the Infinitys while I was working. Very pleased with my purchase. Here is a shot of one of them showing the typical damage to the box. I can peel off the vinyl and re-veneer the boxes if they are sound enough. From what I've read it probably is not necessary to recap these, but I may put in some better terminals. The picture also shows the rust on the emit--any thoughts on cleaning that up?

Sorry, picture did not come through on the last post.

Attachments

• L1130352.jpg
    L1130352.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 209
Back
Top Bottom